Author Topic: Greatest Country in the world  (Read 4280 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: Greatest Country in the world
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »
Lebanon. The food and the climate
Lookit

shark

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
Lebanon. The food and the climate

The people are generally fantastic too. But the absolute filth of the place is a major turn off. And that's not just since the latest garbage crisis. Also electricity blackouts are a pain in neck. If you're there long enough the politics of the country wears you down too. Give me Europe any day.

mouview

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
Anywhere without paramilitary organisations, junkies, work-dodgers, social welfare types, 'extended families' etc. Such a place would surely be nirvana. Switzerland?

Jell 0 Biafra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »
Barman in local pub banned phones for exactly that reason...

Internet ruins a good arguement

Not at all.  Just gives fodder for different arguments.  Why is it only warm countries topping the 'best climate' rankings? I fecking hate the heat.  And richest countries?  Quatar must be great to live in if you're an immigrant worker building the wc stadia; the US, most of that wealth is in the hands of the top 1%.   And where's the happiness index?  etc...

Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
Ireland.

+1

Apart from the countryside, Gaa and family here. Its a shit-hole. Mass employment can never seem to be sustained here. Ass lickers make it to the highly paid jobs. Scumbags on welfare. Unpunished crime. Shit bad weather. People walk as if they carry 5 stone excess on their backs. Happy to be second in sport. Joe Duffy has a prime slot on radio for whingeing. Bad relationship with drink. Politics and corruption. No confidence in healthcare system. Exporting our best resources for nothing. Lack of community and all the ills of a capitalist society. Rise and rise of a political party inextricably linked to murder of innocent civilians. Religious division. Homelessness. Broad daylight drug taking on capital citys main street. Pander to the loudest and not the majority. Litter dumped everywhere, road sides, bogs, fields etc. Irish people are filthy, foul mouthed scumbags. People pissing/ sick in doorways.

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
Ireland.

+1

Apart from the countryside, Gaa and family here. Its a shit-hole. Mass employment can never seem to be sustained here. Ass lickers make it to the highly paid jobs. Scumbags on welfare. Unpunished crime. Shit bad weather. People walk as if they carry 5 stone excess on their backs. Happy to be second in sport. Joe Duffy has a prime slot on radio for whingeing. Bad relationship with drink. Politics and corruption. No confidence in healthcare system. Exporting our best resources for nothing. Lack of community and all the ills of a capitalist society. Rise and rise of a political party inextricably linked to murder of innocent civilians. Religious division. Homelessness. Broad daylight drug taking on capital citys main street. Pander to the loudest and not the majority. Litter dumped everywhere, road sides, bogs, fields etc. Irish people are filthy, foul mouthed scumbags. People pissing/ sick in doorways.

Say what you really feel Rudi

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
Ireland.

+1

Ah, it's not all bad. But it's not great either. Pretty depressing place. This summer had to be the worst in a long time (and that takes beating). Outdoor events and Parties almost always end up a washout or too cold or both. Vitamin D must have been in short supply this summer.
 Job opportunities are few and far between. Most of the young Families in my area are getting by. Not many of them have both the Mother and father working. The rest comprises of different bits and pieces of jobs and social welfare. We are lucky that both myself and my wife have solid jobs. Only for family (friends not as important anymore), I'd be gone. Most  of the youth are gone, trickles come back. But only trickles and that is mostly from emotional Blackmail from Parents. Most have formed relationships with non irish abroad, have good jobs and have a superior lifestyle. Anyone who is happy here, does not know any better. And in fairness what you don't know can't hurt you. Ignorance is bliss.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »
Ireland.

+1

+1

Our idiots only almost bankrupted us (though give them time!), Iceland's did it in style. Then they devalued the currency by 90% and thus devaluing the locals wealth by the same.

Iceland's natural attractions include worse weather than ours, inbreeding worse than ours, earthquakes & volcanoes.

Here is their seismic activity for the last 48 hours: http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/

Here is a great site to check out the world's seismic activity: http://ds.iris.edu/seismon/
MWWSI 2017

Canalman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »
For what it is worth I reckon by and large Ireland is one of the greatest countries (if not the best) to grow up in.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »
Ireland.

+1

Ah, it's not all bad. But it's not great either. Pretty depressing place. This summer had to be the worst in a long time (and that takes beating). Outdoor events and Parties almost always end up a washout or too cold or both. Vitamin D must have been in short supply this summer.
 Job opportunities are few and far between. Most of the young Families in my area are getting by. Not many of them have both the Mother and father working. The rest comprises of different bits and pieces of jobs and social welfare. We are lucky that both myself and my wife have solid jobs. Only for family (friends not as important anymore), I'd be gone. Most  of the youth are gone, trickles come back. But only trickles and that is mostly from emotional Blackmail from Parents. Most have formed relationships with non irish abroad, have good jobs and have a superior lifestyle. Anyone who is happy here, does not know any better. And in fairness what you don't know can't hurt you. Ignorance is bliss.

Totally depends on the industry. IT is crying out for skilled professionals. Other industries picking up again too. Probably the biggest problem in Ireland is the centralisation of jobs in Galway, Cork, Belfast and of course Dublin.

deiseach

• View Profile
    • Come  on the Déise
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »
Anyone who is happy here, does not know any better.

Nonsense.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:38 PM »
Anywhere without paramilitary organisations, junkies, work-dodgers, social welfare types, 'extended families' etc. Such a place would surely be nirvana. Switzerland?
The mountains are fabulous but the Swiss Germans are very uptight and the SVP party is odious.
Single mothers get a very raw deal too.
I would prefer Italy....
Lookit

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
Ireland.

+1

I dunno if living in England would be superior to having a middling job in Ireland. It depends what you want.
Galway and Mayo - you could do a lot worse. 
Lookit

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »

Most of what you mention could be easily transferred to any developed country on this planet. Greasy pole climbers, swine fellatio enthusiasts and back scratchers exist to a greater or lesser extent everywhere in nearly all walks of life at the expense of meritocracy. Every western country has people moaning about welfare scroungers, lack of strong criminal punishments (and taken to the other extreme the massive prison population in the USA), political corruption being rife with bribery and nepotism (Ireland is often reckon to have one of the least corrupt political systems in the world, which might not make other countries sound great), those making the most noise seek influence everywhere etc. Homelessness is a problem in every developed country. For Joe Duffy, see Jeremy Vine in Britain or many talk radio hosts in other countries. Sure Ireland isn't utopia, and I agree there is a negative reputation of Irish people and drink along with respect for public and private property that's not theirs, and the weather can be dull & damp at times. But while Irish people can be uncouth at times concerning language, we also tend to be looked upon generally as friendly people. Internationally Ireland at sport tends to punch reasonably well at its weight given its population and resources. Some immigrants and foreigners look upon the Irish climate rather favourably as it's rarely extremely cold or very hot along with a lack of creatures in nature that are potentially lethal if you're stung, bitten or confronted by them. Whilst litter is still a problem, I'd argue that the country is visually a lot cleaner than around 20-30 years ago. The Irish Republic tends to feature well in most European surveys on general education standards, and our agricultural industry has a reputation for good quality produce. As a country we do tend to knock ourselves down, but from my experience too many of us fall into the trap of the grass being greener elsewhere not thinking there isn't problems with employment, crime, social issues etc. There is always room for improvement, especially at present, but in the greater scheme of things you could live in worse places than what much of Ireland has to offer. Some will emigrate either if to seek opportunities not available to them at home, or that they want to see the world for themselves and some will never settle back here but many others do in time having made their money abroad. That to me says a lot.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »
In your opinion what is the greatest country in the world at this point of time.
For me it has to be Iceland. Its has wonderful scenery and its government stands up for its peoples interests.

I was sure that this was posted by one of ONeill's handles.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians