Mulligan cleared to play for Tyrone against Fermanagh

Started by laoisgaa, April 27, 2007, 01:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

Well since noone has picked up on this yet. Mugsy was  cleared to play by the CHC last night in Tyrone's Ulster SFC clash with Fermanagh on May 20th.

Any views from the Mayo fans on the sliding tackle concerned, did Mulligan deserve to get off?

Was outside the meeting - here's my piece if ye are interested in a read!

QuoteMulligan available for Ulster Championship Opener
By Cóilín Duffy
From Croke Park

Tyrone forward Owen Mulligan has had the red card which he received for a 'sliding tackle' against Mayo in the NFL on April 8th rescinded meaning that the Cookstown man is now free to play for the Red Hand County against Fermanagh in the Ulster SFC on May 20th.

Mulligan appeared before the GAA's Central Hearings Committee last night at Croke Park and in a hearing which lasted just eight minutes the Tyrone attacker was cleared of all wrongdoing for what a GAA source described as a 'lazy tackle'.

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte and County Board secretary Dominic McGaughey accompanied Mulligan to the meeting at GAA Headquarters.

Harte was understandably delighted with the outcome.

"It's great news and it's great that a system is in place that if someone is sent off and it is deemed not to be accurate. If  people later can make a different call on it, I think that's great and I'm delighted that the result has gone that way," Harte stated as he emerged from the meeting.

Meanwhile former All-Ireland winning Captain DJ Kane wasn't so lucky at last night's meeting.

The current Down selector was reprimanded for his involvement in pitch incursions during his county's NFL game against Galway on April 8th.

DrinkingHarp

When does the GAA Council ever rule against Mickey Harte  ???
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Sky Blue

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on April 27, 2007, 02:19:37 AM

As I said, cue the righteous indignation, phew!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bensars

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on April 27, 2007, 02:19:37 AM

Get your facts right, it was Eoin Mulligan not micky Harte.

Furthermore, thats why there is a system in place, to right the wrongs ( if they do occur).

Well done to the GAA's Central Hearings Committee, to have the Balls to make the right decision based on the evidence in front of them, rather than pandering to the media and the anti tyrone sentiment in some quarters.

rosnarun

its getting very hard to see why they allow refs to send off players atall or bother with suspensions. and then they moan about not having enough ref's and doo all they can to undermine them
why do i get the feeling a lot of GAA officials will be getting their driveways tarmac'ed this week
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: rosnarun on April 27, 2007, 09:20:52 AM
its getting very hard to see why they allow refs to send off players atall or bother with suspensions. and then they moan about not having enough ref's and doo all they can to undermine them
why do i get the feeling a lot of GAA officials will be getting their driveways tarmac'ed this week

Would it not be better having refs who are capable of doing a good job, instead of pretending or hoping that they're infallible?

Mulligan made no contact with a Mayo player, no contactI.  How are you or anyone else so sure that he had malicious intent? I'd bet my house that he knew he wouldn't and couldn't make contact. Still a stupid slide, but a totally innocuous one all the same.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

TORGAEL

Its no big surprise.its commonplace these days for bans to be overturned/lessened......watch out for paddy bradley etc

terrierblue

No worries...we'll just stick McCluskey on him(When he returns) and he do'll nowt!  ;)

Bensars

Mc Cluskeys not a bad player alright,  would he play CHB if mulligan was put in at chf ?

Armagh4SamAgain

No surprise there then!!!  >:( Tyrone have the best GAA notaries in the countrty.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

An Cloch Scoilte

Wise up Bensars.
This is another classic case of Mickey Harte using the media to clear one of his players. Everyone knew before the hearing that Mulligan would get cleared. Harte used his spindoctoring skills to the max. to try and defend his player.
The rules are there for are a reason, its obvious Mulligan can't comply with them after getting sent off twice in the league. Its about time Tyrone started taking their suspensions on the chin instead of complaining and whinging!

Will Hunting

Yeah, another case of Mickey Harte dictating to the GAA. Will a Tyrone player ever receive a suspension that is upheld?! Surely it is time that the GAA/GAC/Ulster Council stood up to his nonsense. Harte is of the opinion that he can do whatever he wants, and unfortunately at the minute, he has no reason to believe otherwise.

I didn't see the Mulligan incident so I can't really comment on it, but surely if you lead with the boot (in an attempt to kick another player, sliding or not) then you deserve a red card.

EC Unique

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on April 27, 2007, 10:29:56 AM

This is another classic case of Mickey Harte using the media to clear one of his players. Harte used his spindoctoring skills to the max. to try and defend his player.

Is what you have said here not an example of good management? All managers should defend his players in public. Im sure Mulligan heard all about it behind closed doors.