Leinster Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 16, 2015, 01:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

A few snippets from the papers about the game Saturday evening:

Dubs get ready for Nowlan Park trip with Clare camp
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dubs-get-ready-for-nowlan-park-trip-with-clare-camp-34763267.html

The venue doesn't make any difference to how we play our game – James McCarthy
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-venue-doesnt-make-any-difference-to-how-we-play-our-game-james-mccarthy-34763498.html

'No excuses' - Tommy Lyons says Dublin's rivals should be better
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/no-excuses-tommy-lyons-says-dublins-rivals-should-be-better-34759602.html

Dubs hit the road but won't bring enough fans to sell out Nowlan Park         (Some very tasty comments at the bottom of this article)
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dubs-hit-the-road-but-wont-bring-enough-fans-to-sell-out-nowlan-park-34760100.html

And now for a bit of fun  :)
Ciarán Murphy: My guide for Dublin fans going to Kilkenny
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/ciar%C3%A1n-murphy-my-guide-for-dublin-fans-going-to-kilkenny-1.2668605

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Bueller

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2016, 03:51:50 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on June 01, 2016, 03:40:52 PM
Croke Park is not Dublins home venue, Parnell Park is. Croke Park is the GAA headquarters and considered a neutral venue but as the GAA like any other sport is a business they try and maximise their earnings and as Dublin have by  far the largest fan base they have played their championship games at Croke Park due to this reason.

The venue is the least of the worries anyway as we live in hope that our players will make a game of this. They should not be overawed by the Dubs but the bookies handicap of 14 points would seem about right going on what we have seen from both sides this year.

No one is being disrespectful of Laois management here from what I have read. Most feel the current manager seems out of his depth, I share that opinion. Its nothing against the man, I myself would be a poor club manager never mind inter county level. It is a tough task but some are good at and others are not, just like any other job/role. Lillis seems like a passionate GAA man who loves his county but I just feel he is slightly out of his depth. I maybe wrong (I hope I am wrong).

Are you having a laugh? Did you come down in the last shower? Take the blinkers off! Lets call a spade a spade. The only time Croke park is a neutral venue is when Dublin is not playing. When is the last time Dublin played in Parnell Park? Wake up and smell the coffee.

Thanks for that, I thought I was taking crazy pills there.

Joeythelips

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2016, 03:51:50 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on June 01, 2016, 03:40:52 PM
Croke Park is not Dublins home venue, Parnell Park is. Croke Park is the GAA headquarters and considered a neutral venue but as the GAA like any other sport is a business they try and maximise their earnings and as Dublin have by  far the largest fan base they have played their championship games at Croke Park due to this reason.

The venue is the least of the worries anyway as we live in hope that our players will make a game of this. They should not be overawed by the Dubs but the bookies handicap of 14 points would seem about right going on what we have seen from both sides this year.

No one is being disrespectful of Laois management here from what I have read. Most feel the current manager seems out of his depth, I share that opinion. Its nothing against the man, I myself would be a poor club manager never mind inter county level. It is a tough task but some are good at and others are not, just like any other job/role. Lillis seems like a passionate GAA man who loves his county but I just feel he is slightly out of his depth. I maybe wrong (I hope I am wrong).

Are you having a laugh? Did you come down in the last shower? Take the blinkers off! Lets call a spade a spade. The only time Croke park is a neutral venue is when Dublin is not playing. When is the last time Dublin played in Parnell Park? Wake up and smell the coffee.

No i am not having a laugh, just stating it as it is mate. When is the last time they played a championship game in Parnell Park? no idea but seen as they are one of the few counties who can fill Croke Park, the gaa seek to make money out of that and therefore have them play their championship games their. I am just stating its not their actual home venue but for mostly financial reasons they play there.

They have been playing in Croke Park for decades, it hardly served as a huge advantage to them looking at their All Ireland titles. Also it has meant one of the big days in Croker is trying to beat the Dubs in Croke Park, beating them in 2003 would not have been diluted had it been in O'Connor Park or somewhere, but it was in a full Croke Park and it was one of my best memories as a supporter.

redsetanta

Almost full........no Hill 16 that year!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Very hard to disagree with Declan O'Loughlin on this but hopefully people will travel and support the team if not the venue..

O'Loughlin adamant he won't be in Nowlan Park
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/oloughlin-adamant-he-wont-be-in-nowlan-park-34766125.html

On another note I didn't realise we have a team competing in the Leinster Junior Championship this year. Does anyone know anything about this or have a team lineout??
The following is a piece from a report on the Louth v Kildare game last night..
QuoteLouth booked their place in the Leinster junior final as they dismantled Kildare with a dominant second-half performance in Newbridge. --------------------------------
It was a procession for Louth for the remaining 20 minutes as they sent over six scores to book a final place against Wexford or Laois
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/bellew-puts-louth-in-command-34766126.html

Andy06

Typo I think Junior. Hoganstand has the game as Wexford v Longford tonight.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Thanks Andy, was thinking it might be that. Pity tho' I think it's a great competition for bringing on lads and getting them used to inter county football. Might even unearth a few for the senior panel..

les Antiques

les Antiques

Laois Senior Football Manager Mick Lillis has announced his starting 15 for Laois' Leinster SFC clash with Dublin on Saturday.

1. Graham Brody-Portlaoise
2. Damien O'Connor-Timahoe
3. Mark Timmons-Graiguecullen
4. Paul Cotter-Portlaoise
5. Stephen Attride-Killeshin
6. Darren Strong-Emo
7. Colm Begley- Stradbally
8. Conor Meredith-O'Dempsey's
9. Brendan Quigley-Timahoe
10. Paul Cahillane-Portlaoise
11. John O'Loughlin-St Brigid's
12. Gareth Dillon-Portlaoise
13. Donal Kingston-Arles Killeen
14. Evan O'Carroll-Crettyard
15. Gary Walsh-Ballylinan

Tickets for the game remain on sale at usual outlets.

Aaron Boone

Come 9pm on Saturday, if the Dubs lose in Kilkenny, this thread gets very serious.

Ballyroan Abbey

Very surprised dillon is still there, must be going to be used as an extra defender, would imagine lots of positional switches

SCFC

Quote from: les Antiques on June 02, 2016, 09:41:22 PM
Laois Senior Football Manager Mick Lillis has announced his starting 15 for Laois' Leinster SFC clash with Dublin on Saturday.

1. Graham Brody-Portlaoise
2. Damien O'Connor-Timahoe
3. Mark Timmons-Graiguecullen
4. Paul Cotter-Portlaoise
5. Stephen Attride-Killeshin
6. Darren Strong-Emo
7. Colm Begley- Stradbally
8. Conor Meredith-O'Dempsey's
9. Brendan Quigley-Timahoe
10. Paul Cahillane-Portlaoise
11. John O'Loughlin-St Brigid's
12. Gareth Dillon-Portlaoise
13. Donal Kingston-Arles Killeen
14. Evan O'Carroll-Crettyard
15. Gary Walsh-Ballylinan

Tickets for the game remain on sale at usual outlets.
Donogher dropped. Thought he was one of our better players in the first half against Wicklow till he got injured. Not a bad team though.

Faugheen

Dublin (SFC v Laois): Stephen Cluxton; Philly McMahon, Jonny Cooper, David Byrne; James McCarthy, Cian O'Sullivan, John Small; Michael Darragh Macauley, Brian Fenton; Paul Flynn, Dean Rock, Ciaran Kilkenny; Kevin McManamon, Diarmuid Connolly, Bernard Brogan.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Faugheen on June 02, 2016, 11:32:37 PM
Dublin (SFC v Laois): Stephen Cluxton; Philly McMahon, Jonny Cooper, David Byrne; James McCarthy, Cian O'Sullivan, John Small; Michael Darragh Macauley, Brian Fenton; Paul Flynn, Dean Rock, Ciaran Kilkenny; Kevin McManamon, Diarmuid Connolly, Bernard Brogan.
Good Jesus...... :'(

All the players should be directed to this site and read the insults that some of this shower throw at us. If that don't get them up for it nothing will.
They are and awful shower.. Even when they have won everything it's still not enough, they just have to keep sticking the boot in....
http://www.reservoirdubs.com/t/leinster-sfc-qf-2016-dublin-v-laois-nowlan-pk-kilkenny-sat-june-4th-7pm/20/218

Missed this a few weeks ago, worth listening to..
http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/139991/Laois_Outraged_that_Dublin_tie_isnt_in_Portlaoise

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 02, 2016, 12:07:22 PM
Very hard to disagree with Declan O'Loughlin on this but hopefully people will travel and support the team if not the venue..

O'Loughlin adamant he won't be in Nowlan Park
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/oloughlin-adamant-he-wont-be-in-nowlan-park-34766125.html

To go or not to go - that is the question.

I understand Declan O'Loughlin's viewpoint and of course he is losing out from a business perspective too. Declan played both senior hurling and football for Laois and was a prime mover in getting Micko involved back in 2003.
I've been going to Laois matches since Laois-Offaly in Portlaoise in 1971 - Bobby Millar (RIP) and Willie Bryan contesting midfield and Offaly going on to win their first All-Ireland.
Fixing this Dublin-Laois match is Nowlan Park was a two-fingered gesture to Laois supporters. We've packed our sandwiches and fed the coffers of Croke Park (and the surrounding pubs) down the years. Thanks for nothing Leinster Council.

The lads deserve our support on Saturday - we're not just up against it on the pitch but in the committee rooms too.