Clubs per County

Started by MoChara, October 07, 2015, 08:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

I just came across this picture somewhere, it doesn't seem like it could be accurate to me what do you's think?

smort

Must be combined football and hurling. May even include womens teams. 259 in Cork!?

general_lee

Looks to be way off in some counties. 108 in Antrim?

mb80b60

Fermanagh is definitely incorrect.  Including hurling and ladies there's still less than 40.

MoChara

Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2015, 08:59:14 AM
Looks to be way off in some counties. 108 in Antrim?

That's what I was basing it off since I'm from Antrim.

From the Bunker

Mayo have only 3 more clubs than Westmeath?

blewuporstuffed

Tyrone have only 48 mens football clubs and a couple of additional ladies clubs , there are maybe 4/5 hurling clubs .
Not sure how they got to 68
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thewobbler

Down hasn't had more than 50 clubs for at least a couple of decades.

44-46 clubs competing in football, and then a few in hurling only - Ballela, and the 3 x Ards.

macdanger2

According the Mayo GAA website, there are 51 clubs in Mayo:

Club
Ardagh:
Ardnaree:
Ballina Stephenites:
Ballycastle:
Ballycroy:
Bellmullet:
Bonniconlon:
Crossmolina Deel Rovers:
Kilcommon:
Kilfian:
Killala:
Kiltane:
Knockmore:
Lacken:
Lahardane:
Moygownagh:
Ballinrobe:
Carras
Claremorris:
Davitts:
Garrymore:
Hollymount/Carramore:
Kilmaine:
Mayo Gaels:
Shrule-Glencorrib:
The Neale:
Ballaghaderreen:
Ballyhaunis:
Caiseal Gaels:
Charlestown:
Eastern Gaels:
Kilmovee:
Kiltimagh:
Moy Davitts:
Swinford:
Tooreen:
Aghamore:
Achill
Ballintubber
Balla
Ballyvary Hurling
Breaffy
Burrishoole
Castlebar Mitchels
Castlebar Hurling
Islandeady
Kilmeena
Louisburgh
Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin
Tourmakeady
Westport

Although I'm not sure what club Carras is? Apparently based in Carramore, so it might be an underage club only and plays with Hollymount as senior?? That would make 50 as per the list below

This list includes hurling but not ladies football (Carnacon isn't included)

general_lee

No chance Armagh has 56 clubs. Even including clubs that have folded.

42 senior men's football and 3 hurling only clubs

clootfromthe21

I think a lot of it might have to do with the technical way in which a "club" is structured in gaa terms. AFAIK some dual "clubs" are actually technically two separate clubs whereas others are a single unit. For example, "St Paddy's, Ballybeg" which plays both hurling and football may well actually be two distinct clubs notwithstanding same name, same ground, same players. That might explain why Antrim seem to have a lot more clubs than is "right".

five points

Cavan has 40 football clubs and 1 dedicated hurling club. The 59 figure is way out, yet keeps cropping up in GAA promotional material.

Someone somewhere doesn't know what they are at.

mrdeeds

Quote from: five points on October 07, 2015, 09:53:00 AM
Cavan has 40 football clubs and 1 dedicated hurling club. The 59 figure is way out, yet keeps cropping up in GAA promotional material.

Someone somewhere doesn't know what they are at.

And we have way less parishes. Nearly had the one parish in Junior Intermediate and Senior final. That is a strange situation.

nrico2006

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on October 07, 2015, 09:38:30 AM
I think a lot of it might have to do with the technical way in which a "club" is structured in gaa terms. AFAIK some dual "clubs" are actually technically two separate clubs whereas others are a single unit. For example, "St Paddy's, Ballybeg" which plays both hurling and football may well actually be two distinct clubs notwithstanding same name, same ground, same players. That might explain why Antrim seem to have a lot more clubs than is "right".

Aye, the like of Middletown and Keady in Armagh are clubs that have both football and hurling teams.  But I don't think they are technically the one club.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Don't forget juvenile clubs as well. They are probably counting them as well.

We have a Senior Club and a Juvenile Club in Newport. The Juvenile club is an offshoot of the senior club, but it has its own officers and committee members, and the Chairman is a member of the Senior Club committee as well. That's 1 'club' in reality, but is technically 2 clubs.

In Ferbane, we have 3 clubs, all for the one really. Ferbane is the Football Club, Belmont is the hurling club, and Ferbane-Belmont is the juvenile club.

So straight away in those two examples, where most people would say the count is 3, the count is actually 5.