Joe Brolly: How I faced down IRA man who branded me a traitor

Started by MoChara, October 06, 2015, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: foxcommander on October 06, 2015, 07:42:09 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 06, 2015, 07:06:47 PM
There are literally three things they can really ask the GAA to change. Anthem, flag and naming of clubs grounds/compititions. The latter I would imagine there are maybe a dozen or so "offensive" examples, confined to Ulster. Is it really so much for some people to even consider the merits of this? Ultimately it's for the people of those clubs to decide but try seeing it from a unionist perspective.

You mean airbrush history?

Why are people so worried about reaching out to unionists? Don't need them.
Lol. You're like a Catholic willie Frazer. How is that airbrushing anything?

I know, imagine reaching out to your neighbours, colleagues, business partners, friends etc  ::)

red hander

Nowt wrong with reaching out to unionists, but you shouldn't have to sell your soul just to be told to f**k off anyway

imtommygunn

General lee they are perfectly welcome that's the thing. The people from the "pul" community who cry out for this are the people who wouldn't go near it.

It's not being small minded being against it. i am not overly political but i see no need to appease people who are nothing but bigots and that is what this feels like an exercise like this would be - appeasement to bigots.

BennyCake

Quote from: red hander on October 06, 2015, 08:12:36 PM
Nowt wrong with reaching out to unionists, but you shouldn't have to sell your soul just to be told to f**k off anyway

+1

foxcommander

Quote from: general_lee on October 06, 2015, 07:58:48 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on October 06, 2015, 07:42:09 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 06, 2015, 07:06:47 PM
There are literally three things they can really ask the GAA to change. Anthem, flag and naming of clubs grounds/compititions. The latter I would imagine there are maybe a dozen or so "offensive" examples, confined to Ulster. Is it really so much for some people to even consider the merits of this? Ultimately it's for the people of those clubs to decide but try seeing it from a unionist perspective.

You mean airbrush history?

Why are people so worried about reaching out to unionists? Don't need them.
Lol. You're like a Catholic willie Frazer. How is that airbrushing anything?

I know, imagine reaching out to your neighbours, colleagues, business partners, friends etc  ::)

Did you actually read what you wrote? You're the one who wants to airbrush the GAA to make it unionist friendly.

Bloody sunday - never happened. Let's all move on and forget about it.

We should have a competition to see what the better alternatives are - although from the other thread I do like the sound of the the Sam Maguire being renamed the Jedward Cup. Who doesn't love them?

Liam McCarthy isn't really a sexy name. The Bono cup would draw more tweets and generate more social media.

The Hogan Stand as well as the Magazine/Website named after needs to go. How about a minor tweak - the Wogan Stand after Sir Terry Wogan - everyones favourite irishman.

Croke Park will need a rebranding. That's named after a papist. A bit of corporate sponsorship will sort that out.
The Ashers Cake Bowl has a certain ring to it.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

May have to rethink the Ashers Cake Bowl idea. They might not let a different section of the community in...
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

BennyHarp

I wouldn't be the most jingoistic when it comes to National Anthems, flags etc but I must say that whilst attending the Ireland v Italy rugby game on Sunday, it did irk me that they didn't play Amhrán na bhFiann. Now I understand the reasons for this but it still is annoying that we appear to be the only country that doesn't have their anthem played before the game. I don't think I'd want to give that up for GAA matches. I'm with Brolly on this one.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Main Street

graffiti appeared in Belfast city centre reading, 'SHAME ON YOU JOE'.

Most probably Joe scrawled that graffiti himself.

theskull1

Can see moderate unionists (with a very small U) taking their children to a nearby existing clubs. No reason why they shouldn't. The more that do it the more the GAA will be demystified within the wider population. It really is crazy the level of paranoia that exists.

But how does an isolated unionist village/area start a club from scratch? Thinking 300 years down the line there  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 06, 2015, 10:45:32 PM
I wouldn't be the most jingoistic when it comes to National Anthems, flags etc but I must say that whilst attending the Ireland v Italy rugby game on Sunday, it did irk me that they didn't play Amhrán na bhFiann. Now I understand the reasons for this but it still is annoying that we appear to be the only country that doesn't have their anthem played before the game. I don't think I'd want to give that up for GAA matches. I'm with Brolly on this one.

Here's the question - Would you rather a split in the Irish Rugby team and we get Amhrán na bhFiann all the time?

Here's another - Would you like the North and the Republic to merge in Soccer and we use Ireland Call?

In other words which is more important and All Ireland team or an Anthem?

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 06, 2015, 11:10:50 PM

Here's the question - Would you rather a split in the Irish Rugby team and we get Amhrán na bhFiann all the time?

Here's another - Would you like the North and the Republic to merge in Soccer and we use Ireland Call?

Ah Ffs, I'm not stupid, I know why they use Irelands Call, that's not my point and I couldn't care less about the Irish soccer team merging with the North.

The GAA is and always was a 32 county organisation, once we lose a bit of identity, like the anthem in rugby, then it's gone and it's not coming back. I didn't say I was outraged by this, I said I felt a bit irked. There would need to be a major groundswell of opinion for this to happen and for us to make changes like that and the ramblings of a few unionists isn't enough for me.
That was never a square ball!!

east down gael

I'd be disappointed to see the anthem or the flag go. If I thought it would make a blind bit of difference I'd consider it though. However in the north there are very few instances where 'irishness' is displayed, yet when it is,it is attacked by unionists. On the flip side, when the most minor erosion of British symbolism occurs it is bedlam.i.e the flag protests,ardoyne. Personally think the gaa has made huge strides forward in this regard, and losing amhran na bhfiann would be going too far.

trileacman

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 06, 2015, 11:23:03 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 06, 2015, 11:10:50 PM

Ah Ffs, I'm not stupid, I know why they use Irelands Call, that's not my point and I couldn't care less about the Irish soccer team merging with the North.

The GAA is and always was a 32 county organisation, once we lose a bit of identity, like the anthem in rugby, then it's gone and it's not coming back. I didn't say I was outraged by this, I said I felt a bit irked. There would need to be a major groundswell of opinion for this to happen and for us to make changes like that and the ramblings of a few unionists isn't enough for me.

Rugby gains alot more from the loss of playing ANB than it loses by not having belted out over some tannoy at Murrayfield. Is there nothing more heartening than seeing 15 men from the same island playing together irrespective of creed or politics? It's sport lads, if you want to get political every Sunday, join SF.

I don't give a fcuk about the Unionists but I think it's a pity that quite a few sound guys from prod backgrounds I know would feel a bit un-nerved playing or following GAA games. I'm sure they would feel equally disappointed that the loyalist vitrol and GSTQ means I never set foot in Windsor Park or feel comfortable supporting the NI soccer team. To it's credit Irish rugby has always remained apolitical and it's for it's betterment without a shadow of a doubt.

Times change lads. "The ban" is lifted. Croke Park is open to other sports. Cops and soldiers can play the game, how hard would it be to tone down the flags and anthems?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rrhf

Is the 9 county provincial flag of ulster right with the tricolour. First time I noticed was against Italy.