Galway hurlers heave against manager??

Started by cicfada, October 03, 2015, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: cicfada on October 03, 2015, 09:33:54 PM
This is embarrassing!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/galway-hold-emergency-talks-on-future-of-anthony-cunningham-698990.html

Quote from: cicfada on October 02, 2015, 09:39:02 PM
So obviously the two boys are the only obstacle to mayo winning an all Ireland?? How about finding another few forwards for a start??the pressure on Rochford now will be immense, assuming he gets the job of course!! And that's not even mentioning the pressure that the players have heaped on themselves as well! Good luck to mayo but if they couldn't win under Horan, then I doubt they'll do it under Rochford even if he did win the club ai title with corofin!! Then again he did have good forwards there. Anyone else in the running, any other dark horses??

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

cicfada

Touché but there's a big difference between this situation and the mayo one. The Galway hurlers won't have anything like the support that the mayo lads have in this supposed heave. Also we have yet to hear from the players themselves unlike mayo. There is also no clear alternative to Cunningham whereas you have Horan or Rochford waiting in the wings. Kk forced the game plan in the second half of the final and the players didn't react. Kk much better to be fair. As someone who has tasted all Ireland success this is particularly disappointing as I still feel they are good enough to win it with 1 or 2 changes. The whole country laughing at the wesshht now!!

moysider

Great timing altogether ;D ;D ;D ;D

We had the Arab Spring and now we have the Westhern Autumn.

From the Bunker

"Ach freisin caithfimid cuimhneamh ar dhaoine i Sasana, i Meiriceá, ar fuaid na tíre. Agus tá said, b'fhéidir, ag caoineadh anois i láthair."
:)

Minder

They have a quare cheek, not too may of them found their balls in that second half against KK
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cicfada

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 03, 2015, 11:03:41 PM
"Ach freisin caithfimid cuimhneamh ar dhaoine i Sasana, i Meiriceá, ar fuaid na tíre. Agus tá said, b'fhéidir, ag caoineadh anois i láthair."
:)
"Ag caoineadh ag gáire" ....that's what people are doing now!

galwayman

Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2015, 11:19:57 PM
They have a quare cheek, not too may of them found their balls in that second half against KK
Absolutely

Syferus

Whatever about the Mayo situation, players revolting against the most successful Galway manager in nearly three decades is frankly more than a bit arrogant and distasteful. Players are getting notions beyond their station as to what their role in the equation is. It isn't to select managers.

Cunningham is a good manager and a good man and will be in serious demand of the players don't seem some sense and look at themselves first and foremost.

In a year where we threw out a man our players wanted to keep we've still managed to be the least disfunctional Cnnacht county. Madness.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2015, 02:12:26 AM
Whatever about the Mayo situation, players revolting against the most successful Galway manager in nearly three decades is frankly more than a bit arrogant and distasteful. Players are getting notions beyond their station as to what their role in the equation is. It isn't to select managers.

Cunningham is a good manager and a good man and will be in serious demand of the players don't seem some sense and look at themselves first and foremost.

In a year where we threw out a man our players wanted to keep we've still managed to be the least disfunctional Cnnacht county. Madness.

I hope you are speaking about off the pitch?  ;)

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 04, 2015, 02:24:27 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2015, 02:12:26 AM

I hope you are speaking about off the pitch?  ;)

We've had a lot worse years than 2015 on the field.

See you in D1. If you find a manager to match your players' opinions of themselves that is.

Asal Mor

I'm always inclined to side with the players in these situations since they know infinitely more about the preparations than any of us do. In condemning their actions, people are assuming a lot of knowledge that they don't have. Admittedly, on the face of it, it looks very strange, given that we came very close, and looked physically very well-prepared this year. If enough players want him gone, then he has to go, and it will be down to the players to prove themselves right under the next manager.

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 04, 2015, 07:57:40 AM
I'm always inclined to side with the players in these situations since they know infinitely more about the preparations than any of us do. In condemning their actions, people are assuming a lot of knowledge that they don't have. Admittedly, on the face of it, it looks very strange, given that we came very close, and looked physically very well-prepared this year. If enough players want him gone, then he has to go, and it will be down to the players to prove themselves right under the next manager.

Cunningham is, simply put, a quaility manager. Even his record with Galway tells you this. The childish natural of some of the divisions on that Galway panel (St. Thomas v Portumna) and Anthony being a St. Thomas man may not have helped his cause but it's the players who are in the wrong here.

GalwayBayBoy

Yesterday, the news broke that the Galway hurlers were in revolt against their manager.

Considering that less than a month ago, Galway led Kilkenny by three points at half-time in an All-Ireland final, most outsiders found the news utterly baffling. It was speculated that they were emboldened by the revolt in the Mayo dressing room that did for the Holmes/Connelly ticket.

However, in a detailed article in the Sunday Times today, Denis Walsh reports that it is not the first time the Galway players had expressed a lack of confidence in their manager. It is not even the first time this year.

And Galway has abounded with rumours since the All-Ireland defeat.

Since that loss, rumours have floated around suggesting that there was some sort of dispute in the dressing room at half time in the final.

In the days following the defeat, one of the Galway players is alleged to have left a facebook status update (subsequently deleted) thanking family and friends for their support but mocking Cunningham.

In 2015, Cunningham has been subject of two votes of no confidence - one in May and another last weekend.

Walsh reports that the Galway players first confronted Cunningham in the aftermath of this year's League, which ended with a limp performance away to Waterford in Walsh Park.

Following that loss, the Galway players held a secret ballot among themselves posing the question - 'Do you believe this management team can help us win the All-Ireland? 27 of the 30 players answered No.

They held back from a heave on the grounds that they were only four weeks out from the championship. Instead, they presented him with a list of grievances. Bugbears included the quality of the coaching, ineffective match-day strategies and what they regarded as Cunningham's poor man-management and communication skills.

Last Saturday (eight days ago), more than 20 members of the Galway hurling panel met in a gym in Clarinbridge. In the meantime, Galway had reached their second All-Ireland final of Cunningham's reign. He is the first manager since Cyril Farrell to take Galway to a second final. He can also point to his success in guiding Galway to the U21 All-Ireland in 2011 as evidence of his managerial capabilities, not to mention his exploits as a football manager, winning the Connacht club title with St. Brigid's in 2006 and Garrycastle to the Leinster club title in 2011.

Officially, the players gathered in Clarinbridge to discuss the team holiday. In reality, they were there to discuss the team management. According to Walsh, 'on a show of hands, they voted almost unanimously in favour of change'.

This was conveyed to Cunningham on Sunday.

The following day, Cunningham was ratified for a fifth season as Galway manager. As Walsh wrote, the meeting proceeded 'as if nothing had happened.' As if the players hadn't told him the previous day that they didn't want him to continue.

The meeting was routine and placid until one delegate asked at the end whether Cunningham was sure the players were behind him. According to Walsh's sources, the question made Cunningham's face turn red.

It is hard to work out where Galway stand now. The Galway players have twice informed Cunningham that they didn't want him to continue. The second of these meetings occurred last Sunday. And yet, he was still appointed for another year on Monday.

Duine Eile

As Asal said I'd be inclined to side with the players on this one. These guys have played under Cunningham for 4 years and have decided enough is enough. Living to the north of the N17 we don't tend to hear a lot of hurling talk up here but the rumours have been circulating all year about Cunningham's management skills, coaching not up to scratch, players having no confidence in him etc. etc. No more than the Mayo lads most of those players have gone through college systems where they have had the best of coaching, facilities etc., they're the ones putting in the commitment and taking time out of their lives to represent their county and I think they're right to speak up if they don't have confidence in the manager. What I don't understand is if the players made their views known to the county board why on earth was his reappointment rushed through only a couple of days later if they knew he didn't have the backing of the players?