Galway hurlers heave against manager??

Started by cicfada, October 03, 2015, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

It looks odd from the outside alright but regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, how can any manager think it's a good idea to stay on when the players have expressed a lack of confidence in him??

deiseach

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 05, 2015, 11:25:49 AM
It looks odd from the outside alright but regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, how can any manager think it's a good idea to stay on when the players have expressed a lack of confidence in him??

I asked the question on the Mayo thread whether the vote that place was offically sanctioned. There was a lot of talk after the heave in Waterford against Michael Ryan that it was organised by the GPA and was the result of an agreement with Croke Park that squads should be canvassed at season's end. I don't know whether this is true in general or in the particular case of Mayo (I didn't get any response there; ah, I'm probably on so many Ignore lists that I shouldn't be surprised). If we are going to indulge these exercises in player power then they have to become formal, i.e. the GPA should organise them and if the squad votes against the manager then that's the end of him. We can't carry on with this farce where a manager is snarled at for not doing 'the decent thing' then has smoke blown up his arse for doing 'the decent thing' by people who were doing the snarling at him. Players need to be made to own these decisions. Otherwise they are exercising power without responsibility.

seafoid

Not surprising. Cunningham has done all he could.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2015, 10:52:19 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 04, 2015, 07:57:40 AM
I'm always inclined to side with the players in these situations since they know infinitely more about the preparations than any of us do. In condemning their actions, people are assuming a lot of knowledge that they don't have. Admittedly, on the face of it, it looks very strange, given that we came very close, and looked physically very well-prepared this year. If enough players want him gone, then he has to go, and it will be down to the players to prove themselves right under the next manager.

Cunningham is, simply put, a quaility manager. Even his record with Galway tells you this. The childish natural of some of the divisions on that Galway panel (St. Thomas v Portumna) and Anthony being a St. Thomas man may not have helped his cause but it's the players who are in the wrong here.

He had no luck with Garrycastle in the AIF or Galway in 2 AIFs. Main weakness changing tactics mid match

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 04, 2015, 07:57:40 AM
I'm always inclined to side with the players in these situations since they know infinitely more about the preparations than any of us do. In condemning their actions, people are assuming a lot of knowledge that they don't have. Admittedly, on the face of it, it looks very strange, given that we came very close, and looked physically very well-prepared this year. If enough players want him gone, then he has to go, and it will be down to the players to prove themselves right under the next manager.
and a new centre half back

I think he brought Galway on and it's time for someone else to bring it to closure with the McCarthy cup.
He introduced a lot of young lads which is definitely something deserving of praise.

macdanger2

Quote from: deiseach on October 05, 2015, 11:39:21 AM

I asked the question on the Mayo thread whether the vote that place was offically sanctioned. There was a lot of talk after the heave in Waterford against Michael Ryan that it was organised by the GPA and was the result of an agreement with Croke Park that squads should be canvassed at season's end. I don't know whether this is true in general or in the particular case of Mayo (I didn't get any response there; ah, I'm probably on so many Ignore lists that I shouldn't be surprised). If we are going to indulge these exercises in player power then they have to become formal, i.e. the GPA should organise them and if the squad votes against the manager then that's the end of him. We can't carry on with this farce where a manager is snarled at for not doing 'the decent thing' then has smoke blown up his arse for doing 'the decent thing' by people who were doing the snarling at him. Players need to be made to own these decisions. Otherwise they are exercising power without responsibility.

I've heard no mention of GPA involvement in the Mayo vote

MoChara

Anthony Cunningham will battle on as Galway manager despite player unrest after talks with county board officials last night, according to reports.
Cunningham was ratified by the county board to continue in his role for the 2016 season last week, but, after the squad then unanimously passed a motion of no confidence in his stewardship, his future looked in serious doubt.
However, he met with county officials to discuss the issue late Sunday night and indicated that he is keen to remain at the helm despite the in-house turmoil.
Cunningham won two All-Irelands as a player but Galway have not lifted Liam MacCarthy since the team he played on back in 1988.
The St Thomas' man took over the Tribesemen in 2012 and guided them to a first Leinster title that year with a stunning victory over Kilkenny on their way to the All-Ireland final.
The Cats gained revenge with victory after a replay and Cunningham although led Galway back to the decider this year, the Tribesmen came up short against Brian Cody's men once again.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1005/732453-reprots/

Duine Eile

If the stories about Cunningham and the board knowing about the players opinion before reappointment/ratification and going ahead anyway are true (which probably are) why in the name of God was it pushed through regardless, surely the sensible thing to have done would be to hold off, thrash out the differences between all involved and go from there, instead the whole thing has ended in this disaster. Then again Galway GAA and common sense don't usually belong in the same sentence.  ::) Joe Canning seems to be getting an awful lot of the blame for what's going on also, people in this county would drive you mad, best in the world one day and public enemy number one the next.

johnneycool

When I hear of players voting I'm always weary of the outcome, especially if its the normal show of hands as you get the normally vocal leaders of change pushing the agenda and maybe some of the other lads just going with the flow rather than being the one to rain on the parade.
I see there were 20 plus lads in Clarinbridge, was there any St Thomas' players in that mix I wonder?

seafoid

Quote from: MoChara on October 05, 2015, 12:19:10 PM
Anthony Cunningham will battle on as Galway manager despite player unrest after talks with county board officials last night, according to reports.
Cunningham was ratified by the county board to continue in his role for the 2016 season last week, but, after the squad then unanimously passed a motion of no confidence in his stewardship, his future looked in serious doubt.
However, he met with county officials to discuss the issue late Sunday night and indicated that he is keen to remain at the helm despite the in-house turmoil.
Cunningham won two All-Irelands as a player but Galway have not lifted Liam MacCarthy since the team he played on back in 1988.
The St Thomas' man took over the Tribesemen in 2012 and guided them to a first Leinster title that year with a stunning victory over Kilkenny on their way to the All-Ireland final.
The Cats gained revenge with victory after a replay and Cunningham although led Galway back to the decider this year, the Tribesmen came up short against Brian Cody's men once again.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1005/732453-reprots/

reprots must be something to do with the Church of Ireland

Farrandeelin

I know the players have to take 'ownership' of the consequences, but I wasn't aware that a vote had to be sanctioned. Maybe it's not a general ruling. (It mustn't be because there hasn't been a peep out of the GPA anyway)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Duine Eile

There's been no mention of GPA involvement or anything like that but David Collins is secretary of the GPA as far as I know so they may be involved, who knows!

Wildweasel74

Must be something in the water down round Mayo/Galway the way they are looking rid of managers this weather, do players accept no blame for their shortcomings?

INDIANA

Quote from: Duine Eile on October 04, 2015, 03:12:04 PM
As Asal said I'd be inclined to side with the players on this one. These guys have played under Cunningham for 4 years and have decided enough is enough. Living to the north of the N17 we don't tend to hear a lot of hurling talk up here but the rumours have been circulating all year about Cunningham's management skills, coaching not up to scratch, players having no confidence in him etc. etc. No more than the Mayo lads most of those players have gone through college systems where they have had the best of coaching, facilities etc., they're the ones putting in the commitment and taking time out of their lives to represent their county and I think they're right to speak up if they don't have confidence in the manager. What I don't understand is if the players made their views known to the county board why on earth was his reappointment rushed through only a couple of days later if they knew he didn't have the backing of the players?

But they aren't good enough either.

It's important to note in this particular instance it's a clear case of players well above their station.

Soon enough nobody will manage teams at this level.

Several of those Galway players have gone missing in big games in the last 5 years. In fairness to the Mayo footballers they may not be quite enough to get over the line but they have shown a hell of a lot more backbone then some of the Galway hurlers in recent times

Maybe we get rid of managers altogether and just let the captain pick the team?

deiseach

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 05, 2015, 08:50:16 PM
I know the players have to take 'ownership' of the consequences, but I wasn't aware that a vote had to be sanctioned. Maybe it's not a general ruling. (It mustn't be because there hasn't been a peep out of the GPA anyway)

I get the feeling the suggestion that a vote has to take place at the GPA's behest is a lie put about to give a fig leaf of respectability to the brazen act of betrayal that the Waterford players engaged in.