Changing jobs

Started by pullhard, October 03, 2015, 08:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

I'm considering looking for a job closer to home. We has just had a wee one. Mrs on SMP. Am I being daft doing this when the wife is off with the baby? My commute is around an hour and half door to door and i'm paying a medium size fortune on travel

LeoMc

Even ignoring the Mrs and wean the 1.5hr commute and travelling expenses are note than enough justification.

Tony Baloney

Aye you need to be checking for something closer to home. 3 hours a day too much unless absolutely vital.

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on October 03, 2015, 11:14:16 PM
Hmm, the commute is 3 hours of avoiding shitty nappies, crying and the wife doing your ballix in.
Think long and hard.

There's a man speaking from experience  ;D

screenexile

Depends on what you do.. Is it easy enough for you to get a job you're qualified in closer to home? Do you like where you're at?? Will you get the same money (or equivalent without the travelling?).

I work half a mile from my house. It's class!! Have a 9 month old so it works well!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 03, 2015, 11:36:01 PM
Hmm, the commute is 3 hours of avoiding shitty nappies, crying and the wife doing your ballix in.
Think long and hard.

He'd need to find a woman first 😉
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

The best way to do this is simply to put a quantifiable  financial number on your own time, since you do not get paid for travel time and do not get expenses yet spend a fair portion of the week traveling you need to compensate yourself for windshield time.

Also you are missing out on a lot of family time based on your commute, how much of a burden  is that on the enemy?

I sold my soul for years, managed 10 retail stores for 9 years for a cellphone company, I will never get back the time away from my family and it is my fervent hope, if you can afford it at all, that you get something local and keep your woamn and children the focal point of your lives, that you cannot buy.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 04, 2015, 12:37:05 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2015, 12:32:09 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 03, 2015, 11:36:01 PM
Think long and hard.

He'd need to find a woman first 😉
You would just love to know what happens around 3:30 in Ballyclare.  :-*

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: heganboy on October 04, 2015, 05:00:20 AM
Or move house...

exactly. move to your work. IMO u shud live within 5 miles of ur work, any further is a waste of time and money. unless of course u dont care about that.

pullhard

Moving house is out of the questions Live close to the in laws, for baby sitting