Hallow'een is Coming and the Geese are Getting Fat

Started by Clinker, October 03, 2015, 02:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinker

First Saturday of October and an apple tart appears already in our house. Takes the second bite of it and there was a wee bit of a clink so decides to spit out the grease proof paper package and open it. Inside was a big shiny thruppenny bit. Yes - best day ever.
The wee sister touched for the ring in the barmbrack so it looks like she is getting married first - getting some sleggin over it too.
Still another four weeks of this to go. Couldn't bate it with a big stick. Brilliant.

omaghjoe

Purdy pudding anyone?

Love Halloween, miss the Irish version tho.

StGallsGAA

I can't believe how few people outside of Tyrone has heard of potato pudding!   Do they make it in any other county at Halloween?

Itchy

Quote from: StGallsGAA on October 04, 2015, 10:36:38 AM
I can't believe how few people outside of Tyrone has heard of potato pudding!   Do they make it in any other county at Halloween?

Do you mean Boxty?

trueblue1234

No two different things. Hard to beT a spot of purdy pudding and butter.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

omaghjoe

Ah Powerful stuff altogether

Pretty sure they make it in parts of Fermanagh as well, but plenty of Tyrone ones have never heard of it either.

I reckon the area it covers is roughly an ellipse with Fintona at the centre, Carrickmore to Ederney the East West boundaries and Ballygawley to Mountfield North south.

Dont think it infiltrates the Clogher valley or Drumquin area but could stand corrected?

The Subbie

Quote from: omaghjoe on October 04, 2015, 08:29:01 PM

Pretty sure they make it in parts of Fermanagh as well, but plenty of Tyrone ones have never heard of it either.

I reckon the area it covers is roughly an ellipse with Fintona at the centre, Carrickmore to Ederney the East West boundaries and Ballygawley to Mountfield North south.

Dont think it infiltrates the Clogher valley or Drumquin area but could stand corrected?

My Granny in Benburb used to make it.

Lovely lovely stuff.

Another one was potato and apple bread, like potato bread but with a few bramleys fired in. Class.

Dinny Breen

Love Halloween.

Although disappoints that "Penny for the Pooka" is now replaced by "Trick or Treat". In fairness to Trick or Treat my kids love it and it's always a great buzz.
#newbridgeornowhere

illdecide

When I went around the doors as a kid we always said "anything for Halloween". When did the Americanised "Trick or treat" come into it? 10years ago? 20 years ago?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

When I went around we had to sing, play the tinwhistle or whatever to get stuff. None of this penny for the Pooka, or Trick or Treat laziness.

GBWTD.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 05, 2015, 10:06:48 AM
When I went around we had to sing, play the tinwhistle or whatever to get stuff. None of this penny for the Pooka, or Trick or Treat laziness.

GBWTD.

Is it not a case that anyone would give you sweets/fruit/nuts/money/drugs to stop you singing/dancing/performing? 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 05, 2015, 10:14:50 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 05, 2015, 10:06:48 AM

GBWTD.

Is it not a case that anyone would give you sweets/fruit/nuts/money/drugs to stop you singing/dancing/performing?

You say Tom-ay-to I say Tom-ah-to

Stall the Bailer

Made in North Tyrone as well.

Puckoon

It's served both in Eskra, and in Drumquin.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.