Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criostlinn

Quote from: blast05 on December 19, 2016, 10:59:39 PM
I'd question how Aidan O'Shea can head off to Sunderland mid season for a mickey mouse tv show and no one from Mayo had a problem with it except H&C.

I guess you'd question Brendan Maher as well then.

As for that Jackie Tyrell fella. Brian Cody needs to start ringing a few TV producers to make sure this doesn't happen again. Sure it had their 2015 season in a heap

dublin7

Quote from: criostlinn on December 19, 2016, 11:20:10 PM
As for your childish remarks. " Blame everyone else blah de blah... look where it got you blah de blah"
Who am I blaming and for what.
So  all other counties who don't get near winning an All Ireland, is this what you reckon it boils down to. Blaming everyone else or is this just what is holding Mayo back.
In the case of Mayo they blamed the ref against Kerry in 2014.  It was all the Dublin players/ pundits in the media who got Keegan black carded this year that cost them. Couldn't possibly be the players fault!!!

Might be better looking at their own decisions such as why Robbie. Hennelly keeps getting picked for big matches when he has shown he doesn't have the mental strength to cope with big games.   

Jinxy

Quote from: dublin7 on December 19, 2016, 11:18:09 PM
Lee Keegan is in a different league to AOS when it comes to football ability  and leadership on the pitch.  All AOS wants to do when he gets the ball is put the head down and try to barge his way through on goal.

He has never done it in any of the big games against Dublin were as Keegan has been a real leader. I personally think he is overrated and not a Team player

True, we'd still take him in Meath though.
Big Joe needs someone to aim the kick-outs at.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

criostlinn

Quote from: dublin7 on December 19, 2016, 11:28:20 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on December 19, 2016, 11:20:10 PM
As for your childish remarks. " Blame everyone else blah de blah... look where it got you blah de blah"
Who am I blaming and for what.
So  all other counties who don't get near winning an All Ireland, is this what you reckon it boils down to. Blaming everyone else or is this just what is holding Mayo back.
In the case of Mayo they blamed the ref against Kerry in 2014.  It was all the Dublin players/ pundits in the media who got Keegan black carded this year that cost them. Couldn't possibly be the players fault!!!

Might be better looking at their own decisions such as why Robbie. Hennelly keeps getting picked for big matches when he has shown he doesn't have the mental strength to cope with big games.   
Oh sweet Jesus. There's a pair of them in it

Rossfan

I'd say ye're good for a hundred pager here.
Keep it burning bucks ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Tom Cunniffe said the following.

"I believe our decision was rash. I felt we should have had a few leaders meet Pat and Noel and go through the various issues that had been raised at the first two meetings. I would have much preferred that."

That seems a reasonable enough position to me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Quote from: Jinxy on December 19, 2016, 11:48:44 PM

"I believe our decision was rash. I felt we should have had a few leaders meet Pat and Noel and go through the various issues that had been raised at the first two meetings. I would have much preferred that."

Cunniffe is a clubman of Holmes so perhaps he had a better relationship with him?

It's worth remembering that a decent amount of the squad (SOS, Higgins, Boyle, Caff, Conroy) had won an U21 AI under H&C and others would have played under them in 07 & 08 so there should have been the basis for a good relationship there if things had been done properly.

highorlow

As a Mayo man this whole crap is a really sad end to the year. The timing of the publication of the story on the day of the sports awards also rubbed salt into the wounds.

I would say that perhaps H & C might or should do some local follow up verbal interview to clarify their main issues which wasn't likely to have been communicated very well in the article.

Communication from day 1 was the 2 mens downfall and I would say if they were able to wind back the clock they would do things differently.

They appear to be 'old school' in their approach to the players and appear to suggest two or three main gripes within the camp that needs improving. 

The first is that team lacked some balls and fight below in Limerick when it came to the crunch and that Kerry bullied us. As one Mayo poster alluded this was not the case, it wasn't a 'lack of balls' that gave away the soft goals that day. I heard the same guff was dished out after the FBD loss to Roscommon in one of the H/C's early games. This motivational technique certainly didn't work and was never going to. So bad start on this particular communication front by the new managers.

The 2nd gripe was the media attention from certain players. I fully agree with them on this. I questioned Aidan's appearance on this show at the time. To me this was a mistake by Aidan and I hope he and the team learn from it. By the way no more Newstalk interviews would also be an idea. In any case I doubt any Mayo GAA person will ever get interviewed by the Indo for the foreseeable future. This is a good thing, so at the end of the day some good might come of this. By the way Brendan Maher already had an AI medal in his pocket doing his show, along with his 2 minor AI's and an U21 medal, so the poster who keeps trying to justify AOS on this basis is plainly daft. In the drawn AI Daithi O'Shea was interviewing the American Football lad from the show (who came over to play for Breaffy) about 15 mins before kick off while the lads were warming up. This irked me at the time.

The third thing that H/C have is something in  relation to selection issues that appears to be muddled in the Breheny article and appears a bit incoherent. If this is the case (and I doubt what they are saying is true) then something needs to be done about it and fast. I presume Tony McEntee would set things right in the current set up so I don't really believe that certain players are part time selectors.

In relation to Sweeney's follow up. I stopped reading him after his article on the Irish Rugby team back in 2013. His attack on my County is in a similar vein and is the only article I have read since. I do hope that my team follow the same path as the Irish Rugby team has after his bitter and twisted portrayal of them. One section in this sad article sums of the lad.... "We can be sure that when Lions selection time comes around the cheerleaders for the Irish team will caution the selectors not to base their decisions on anything so vulgar as current form. Instead they should judge Irish players on past reputation and our media's estimation of their worth."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/eamonn-sweeney-the-bubble-has-finally-burst-29150403.html

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

If people in Mayo blacklist the Indo because of running an interview it will be even more ridiculous than Mickey shunning RTE because of a radio skit. This wasn't The Sun shaming the dead from Hillsborough. It hardly even reads particularly sensationally. The paper did absolutely no wrong in all this. It's the players, the CB and the two lads in that order that are to blame for what happened last year.

Beffs

Quote from: Syferus on December 20, 2016, 12:31:18 AM
If people in Mayo blacklist the Indo because of running an interview it will be even more ridiculous than Mickey shunning RTE because of a radio skit. This wasn't the Sun shaming the dead from Hillsborough. It hardly even reads particularly sensationally. The paper did absolutely no wrong in all this. It's the players, the CB and the two lads in that order that are to blame for what happened last year.

The behaviour of a bunch of Mayo primadonnas, does not warrant being mentioned in the same sentence as a father mourning the loss of his murdered daughter. Not on this planet, or on any other.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on December 19, 2016, 11:48:44 PM

It does seem reasonable alright but things had probably gone beyond reconciliation at that stage. Management might have held on but it would have been just delaying the inevitable. I remember a bit of a crisis after a league match in spring 2015 where Horan in an article called on Donie Buckley to step up and bring some kind of leadership and structure to things. We had 2 managers and it seems that the coach was the only one that could command things! I found that from Horan strange at the time, but eventually it made sense. To be honest it made sense at the time because it was obvious things were dysfunctional. I also thought Horan didn't have to put his speak in there.  There were also stories coming out about training being a mess when Buckley could not attend. A parent that had kids in McHale Park for underage stuff heard players refer to H&C as 'here comes dumb and dumber'. Messing maybe and not nice but I think it shows that these lads were bet before they started. The appointment process was a disgrace and joint partnership just doesn't work anyway. Business, sport, whatever.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Beffs on December 20, 2016, 12:57:33 AM
If people in Mayo blacklist the Indo because of running an interview it will be even more ridiculous than Mickey shunning RTE because of a radio skit. This wasn't the Sun shaming the dead from Hillsborough. It hardly even reads particularly sensationally. The paper did absolutely no wrong in all this. It's the players, the CB and the two lads in that order that are to blame for what happened last year.

The behaviour of a bunch of prima donnas in Mayo do not warrant being mentioned in the same sentence as a father mourning the loss of his murdered daughter. Not on this planet, or on any other.
I don't know how you can read this into what Syferus has had to say but, anyway, there's nowt so queer as folks.
Isn't it even queerer that all the criticism of the players is coming from posters who know sweet FA what's really happened and not a single regular Mayo fan has come out to support H&C?
Talk about hubris!
I'd lay good money on either Breheny or Sweeney winning a donkey derby if a jockey could be found who was willing to ride them and yet normally well-balanced posters are lining up to take pot shots at the players.
I dunno, there's nowt so queer as....oh wait I said that already. ;D

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 20, 2016, 01:34:35 AM

The behaviour of a bunch of prima donnas in Mayo do not warrant being mentioned in the same sentence as a father mourning the loss of his murdered daughter. Not on this planet, or on any other.
I don't know how you can read this into what Syferus has had to say but, anyway, there's nowt so queer as folks.
Isn't it even queerer that all the criticism of the players is coming from posters who know sweet FA what's really happened and not a single regular Mayo fan has come out to support H&C?
Talk about hubris!
I'd lay good money on either Breheny or Sweeney winning a donkey derby if a jockey could be found who was willing to ride them and yet normally well-balanced posters are lining up to take pot shots at the players.
I dunno, there's nowt so queer as....oh wait I said that already. ;D

The Mayo population is far less united and far less willing to whitewash what the players did than you and a few others here are, rightly so because some of the actions by players are not easily written off as normal business. It's a pity that the Mayo posters here have suddenly starting taking their cues from the Tyronies and blaming everyone but their sacred cows for their problems.

It's H&C's fault! It's the CB's fault! It's the Independent's fault! It's trolls' fault for not understanding! But it's not the players' fault.. right, Lar?

IC football is a dirty game. It just so happens a few of the Mayo panel got caught red handed this time.

Also a terrible insult aimed at Sweeney who has always been an insightful and fair columnist just because he had the gall to comment on the biggest story of the week in GAA.

moysider

The behaviour of a bunch of Mayo primadonnas, does not warrant being mentioned in the same sentence as a father mourning the loss of his murdered daughter. Not on this planet, or on any other.

That is true.
I'm not going to blacklist the Indo over this. Haven't bothered with it for years anyway. There was a bundle of freebies delivered at work one day last week. They were hardly touched.

maigheo

Very dejected about the whole saga but we will survive.Even tho H and C are more than entitled to have there say it is complete Bs for them to say that they are doing this for the good of Mayo football.Anybody reading the H and C interview and all the other articles in the Sindo that would have no interest in GAA would think that the Mayo players are  useless and do not prepare or train properly and rarely win any games .For me this damages Mayos prospects for 2017 as every selection and performance will be over scrutinized and you will have the usual suspects adding 2 plus 2 and coming up with 8.Feel sorry for a player like Dillion who has given every thing to the cause, and then having his name besmirched in this manner.Same with Aiden O Shea and even tho he has not played well in any finals he does leave it all on the pitch.