Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Glad he's nominated. Hope they wrap up the process asap.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 01:41:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 01:30:47 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 01:05:52 AM
Quote from: Duine Eile on October 30, 2015, 12:54:54 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on October 30, 2015, 12:03:20 AM
What do we know about Rochford as a manager.I know he won an all ireland with Corofin but what sort of manager is he? I strongly believe Mayo need a tactician to get us over the line.Is he tactically flexible or does he have a system a player must fit into? A lot of Mayo people are saying Rochford for the job but dont have a clue about him its like his name is the buzzword the last week or so.

From what I've seen and heard of Rochford he has a meticulous eye for detail, nothing is left to chance. Corofin play their own game but also adapt to suit who they are playing. He plays his players to their strengths, Ronan Steede for example, seems to have been given free reign to roam this year and he's had a great championship so far. Corofin are a seriously fit, well conditioned outfit also. He's not afraid to tackle indiscipline head on either from what I've heard, big name or not if you don't pull your weight/put in the effort/step out of line, you're on the bench and work your way back onto the first 15. Apparently if anyone was as much as a minute late for training last year they were told to go home and come back the next evening, no big issue made out of it by anyone but the message was still put out if you can't be on time there's 2 or 3 lads here looking for your place, everyone that starts on Rochford's first 15 has put in serious effort in training, there's no getting your place on name or reputation only. He strikes me as someone who has the potential to do very well at inter county.

Sounds like McStay Lite.

Er.... no it doesn t. No point comparing the two. Huge regard for Kevin of course. Unlikely there will be any point in comparison down the road either. Rochford - if he gets the gig - will have a more fuller and colourful pallete to work off.

Rochford will have a vivid and opinated palette to work of. Maybe a palette that doesn't realise the moment has passed them by. Kevin will have a panel that hangs on his every word. We might get three chances next year to see who is the better man.. if it's Kevin Lord help and save Rochford..

Jaysus, you got your knickers in a twist today!
You're letting your imagination run out of contrpol.
Who says Rochford will have "a vivid and opinated palette to work off."
There is no indication whatever that the panel will be any different to what it has been since Horan took over and that wasn't today nor yesterday. What makes you think that the moment or anything else has passed them by?
Bollocx to Kevin having a panel that will hang on to his every word. What about John Evans and Fergie? Two honest hard-working ng individuals and yet they couldn't turn jackasses into aracehorses and there is no reason to believe that McStay will get more out of what Evans left behind.
You can have as many chances as you like to prove whatever you like but I can't think of even one player or fan who'll lie awake at night worrying about what Kevin is going to do.
You spend far too much time worrying about what's happening in Mayo. You would be far better off if only you'd concern yourselves with Sligo. Threatening to take Mayo apart when you couldn't handle them is the height of wishful thinking.
From what I saw this year, I'd put my 50c on the Friesans if they met you again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 03:47:44 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 01:59:43 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 01:41:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 01:30:47 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 01:05:52 AM
What do we know about Rochford as a manager.I know he won an all ireland with Corofin but what sort of manager is he? I strongly believe Mayo need a tactician to get us over the line.Is he tactically flexible or does he have a system a player must fit into? A lot of Mayo people are saying Rochford for the job but dont have a clue about him its like his name is the buzzword the last week or so.

From what I've seen and heard of Rochford he has a meticulous eye for detail, nothing is left to chance. Corofin play their own game but also adapt to suit who they are playing. He plays his players to their strengths, Ronan Steede for example, seems to have been given free reign to roam this year and he's had a great championship so far. Corofin are a seriously fit, well conditioned outfit also. He's not afraid to tackle indiscipline head on either from what I've heard, big name or not if you don't pull your weight/put in the effort/step out of line, you're on the bench and work your way back onto the first 15. Apparently if anyone was as much as a minute late for training last year they were told to go home and come back the next evening, no big issue made out of it by anyone but the message was still put out if you can't be on time there's 2 or 3 lads here looking for your place, everyone that starts on Rochford's first 15 has put in serious effort in training, there's no getting your place on name or reputation only. He strikes me as someone who has the potential to do very well at inter county.

Sounds like McStay Lite.

Er.... no it doesn t. No point comparing the two. Huge regard for Kevin of course. Unlikely there will be any point in comparison down the road either. Rochford - if he gets the gig - will have a more fuller and colourful pallete to work off.

Rochford will have a vivid and opinated ppalette to work of. Maybe a palate that doesn't realise the moment has passed them by. Kevin will have a panel that hangs on his every word. We might get three chances next year to see who is the better man.. if it's Kevin Lord help and save Rochford..

Relax. No need for the hyperbole. Ffs, what's that nonsense about who's the better man and moments passed by. Both are top football men.
It's been 35 years since ye had a moment that could compare with our recent several moments that passed us by. Catch a grip for God's sake. Wait until there's a stake through our heart before ruffling feathers. Same every year. Gloat when we lose to a Dublin or Kerry yet ye gat a face plant against likes of Fermanagh. An overweight pizza chomper shows up the best forward line in Connacht. Hegarty and Donie snr. start keeing on Shannonside radio and manager is history. Best of luck Kevin.

I'd settle for 2001 and 2010 if yer 'moments' are flipping over and letting the flavour of the year have their way with ye Moy.. at the end of the day you've three AIs to our two. Not much to lord over anyone.

Can t remember how 2010 ended for ye ( couldn t care less) but I remember 2001. Ye were humiliated in Ros v Galway 2. I never saw as dejected a county leaving McHale Park as ye that day. As one heron choker so eloquently put it yer jammy Connacht title wasn t 'worth a shite to ye now'. Y'know I don t think Roscommon football ever recovered from that day really.
2010 would never have happened for ye if your good friend Johnno hadn t decided to try and send us back to the 70s.

muppet

Quote from: Red on October 29, 2015, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 29, 2015, 06:39:13 PM
Quote from: Red on October 29, 2015, 06:35:45 PM
Quote from: mayo.mick on October 28, 2015, 09:24:37 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 28, 2015, 08:30:36 PM
Anybody know if Rochford, or anyone else has been nominated?

Haven't heard of any club meetings held yet for nominations

Does anybody here get the sense that Rochford making a statement that he has not had an approach from the Co Board is somewhat informative when the Board stated they are waiting until Nov 1 to receive nominations?

When did he say that?

Is there a link to it anywhere??

Taken from Hogan Stand on Oct 27

Stephen Rochford says he has had "no contact" from Mayo County Board regarding the vacant Mayo senior football manager's job.

Rochford remains in charge of reigning All-Ireland club champions Corofin and he oversaw the Galway side's victory over Mohill of Leitrim on Sunday as they successfully opened the defence of their Connacht crown.

He has been strongly linked with the Mayo job but insists there's nothing happening on that front at present:

"No, there has been no contact. As everybody is aware, the nomination process opened last week. I know it sounds like a bit of a broken record but I was very much focused on the Corofin aspect," he told The Irish Independent.

"There are a couple of things happening in Mayo and as I indicated in the past it is something that would interest me but whether now is going to be the time or not is probably something we will know a lot in the next seven days.

"But the main interest for me at the moment is preparing Corofin for the Connacht semi-final away to St Mary's in Sligo on Sunday week. That's the priority at the minute."

He is aware of the process (nomination from club which I presume he would receive from Crossmolina) but he still notes he had no contact from Co Board. It was likely in response to the question if he had contact from the Board.
He goes on to say he is interested in the job. While he does point out he could wait he also seems to have given the Board a slightly stronger negotiating hand, particularly with John Maughan possibly waiting in the wings.

Thanks for that.

I see he is now nominated, but by whom?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Nominated by two clubs. Crossmolina and Ballinrobe.

macdanger2

Ballinrobe are M horan's club AFAIK, perhaps the rumour that he would be part of the setup had some truth in it

Tubberman

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 30, 2015, 01:18:11 PM
Ballinrobe are M horan's club AFAIK, perhaps the rumour that he would be part of the setup had some truth in it

It's also where Rochford lives these days, and he was managing one of their underage teams.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

larryin89

"I'd settle for 2001 and 2010 if yer 'moments' are flipping over and letting the flavour of the year have their way with ye Moy.. at the end of the day you've three AIs to our two. Not much to lord over anyone

Lol .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on October 30, 2015, 01:20:15 PM

It's also where Rochford lives these days, and he was managing one of their underage teams.

played a bit of ruby with them as well. Wouldn t read too much into it being a Maurice Horan thing but ye never know.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 02:19:23 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 30, 2015, 01:20:15 PM

played a bit of ruby with them as well. Wouldn t read too much into it being a Maurice Horan thing but ye never know.

Fair enough, didn't realise he had connections there

giveballaghback

I see sky sports have their transfer deadline clock running  1day 5hrs and 31min to close of nominations for the rhubarb managers job

macdanger2

Quote from: giveballaghback on October 30, 2015, 06:29:25 PM
I see sky sports have their transfer deadline clock running  1day 5hrs and 31min to close of nominations for the rhubarb managers job

I hear Shannonside have a reporter live at McHale Park providing hourly updates to our eager neighbours   ;D

giveballaghback

Im glad to see shannonside up there with sky sports macdanger.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 30, 2015, 06:43:14 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on October 30, 2015, 06:29:25 PM

I hear Shannonside have a reporter live at McHale Park providing hourly updates to our eager neighbours   ;D

If it was Shannonside they'd cut live to some U12 soccer game in Drumshanbo every two minutes.

mayoman dan

Thanks for that Duine Eile it paints a good picture of him.Hope the appointment is done now without much fuss. On a seperate issue how does a thread about a new Mayo manager turn into a discussion about Rosscommon?