Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Interesting article in today's S Independent by Damian Lawlor on this matter..First time to hear that Mayo's game plan and tactical notes on Dublin were left behind at the team hotel, when Mayo had presumably gone to Croke Park for the match...We all know about the secret players meeting where the vote of 27-7 took place.. But here's a question. If it's true that Keegan, A Moran, Parsons and Ronaldson were part of the 7, and the vote/meeting was secret, how did these names get out in public?

Ballaghman

Quote from: INDIANA on October 04, 2015, 02:33:58 PM
Quote from: maigheo on October 04, 2015, 02:32:17 PM
Great post Lar.Its not about the next manager winning an all Ireland but giving them the best chance to do so and everything else is just spin.

You have to have the players as well. Players may find in 12 months time it's them that's lacking
But you have to have a top class manager or else it's all pointless. Mayo can't magic up these mythical top class forwards you speak of. They can improve their management set up.
Look at what Gilroy did with a lot of Caffreys players, he transformed them, taught them humility and manners. He developed a good defensive system. Yes the standard of player has improved since but Gilroy got more out of a similar bunch of players than Caffrey. Mayo want the same, at the very least they need someone as good as Horan was. It won't guarantee an All Ireland but it gives them a better, genuine chance. If rumours are true that Buckley was the glue holding the whole thing together this year then that was going to catch up with everyone next year as tensions were just too fraught in the end.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2015, 12:57:38 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2015, 12:36:40 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2015, 12:27:35 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 04, 2015, 12:09:04 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2015, 11:13:14 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 03, 2015, 10:46:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2015, 10:13:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 09:55:16 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2015, 09:49:28 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2015, 09:44:28 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2015, 09:31:45 PM

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2015, 09:19:58 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on October 03, 2015, 07:59:10 PM
I have to say there are some amount of "Knowledgeable" people from around the country on the inner workings of the county board and even more future intercounty managers who will be pacing the sidelines of Croke Park in the near future...Anyway, Mike Finnerty and John Maughan had a polite but narky enough chat about the weeks events on radio 1 earlier..Maughan reckons not one supporter he has spoken to all week  had backed the players, also he reckoned that there was never a problem in the set up, in fact it was never better over the past few years. Then the " two or three" troublemakers in the dressing room was mentioned, who's agenda was he serving today I wonder?
The plot thickens?

How so?
John Maughan isn't some Joe Blog, he is a well respected former Mayo player and manager and with his contacts within he would have a fair idea of what was going on behind scenes.

Why haven't we got any details on the alleged preparation issues from this year?

No need. Why on earth would anyone make it public?

To quote Get Loughnane, I wouldn't even give ye the time of the throw in.

Coup over. Off with ye to the Galway hurlers thread.

There are lots of respected Mayo figures casting doubt on the accuracy of the claims.

Are they all CB patsies?
Indeed, please enlighten me.
When did you last see a "respected Mayo" figure?  We just don't do respect down in God's Acre; it doesn't go with the psyche, ya know.
If twenty seven players do a rare up and tell their "respected" managers to f**k off  and then all barge in on a meeting with "respected" members of the county board who are running around like headless quickens and give them just 10 minutes to sort themselves out, what sort of "respected" figure can change the facts?
You have been given the reasons, time and time again, why this setup was always going to end in handbags at dawn.  So forget the conspiracy theorists, they know sweet |FA more than anyone with half an interest in the Mayo scene. This parting of the way was on since that pair took on the job- maybe not all  their fault but they should have known better.

Never realised Mayo players were held in such contempt by neutrals - not that it matters a fcku.

Never realised either that Pat and Nole were so highly regarded. Their phones must be hoppin from counties still without a manager for next year. They should be a major coup? They ll be snapped up right away I d say. What do you think Lar?
I think Pateen and Noel should do a damage limitation exercise and back away quietly and leave the whole sorry mess with the CB. They have shown more dignity in their leaving than they did in their coming. Pity the same can't be said for Mike and his buddies. Anyone on here who thinks any self-respecting Mayo fan will give even one flying f**k about what Carney, Maughan or any of the pro-establishment brigade wants to say should go and see a shrink. Their day has come and gone.

Agree but not the point I was trying to make.

Just wondering if all these neutrals that think that Pat and Nole did great this year would welcome them with open arms in their own fiefdom? Surely such great management talent will not be idle for long. These neutrals cant have our dysfunctional and uppity players. But our brilliant management duo (they get 2 good ones) are there to be snapped up. No doubt likes of Tyrone are kicking themselves for hastily reappointing Mickey before our duo became available. Have Cork sorted themselves out?

OTT Moy, those two have given more to Mayo football than any of the players have and deserve more respect than you're giving them. Maybe shouldn't have taken the job in the beginning but the Mayo players likewise don't come out of this looking like heroes either. We'll see next year if their hubris exceeded C&H's.

This team didn't deliver in the past but by their actions in the last few weeks they've called their shot for 2016 and they will be on the end of serious abuse next year if it turns out the management wasn't the key reason behind their failure.

You have got to be takin the piss. Will ye quit spinning shite. H&C are no victims. They got great opportunity in Mayo both as players and having doors open after as managers even though it was obvious they had little enough qualities to do the job. Most Mayo supporters as well would say we had better options at 5 and 7 as well in 96/97 but Sir John had his favourites and he was still holding their hands this Summer.

I know ye ve got Batman and Robin but would Roscommon be queueing up for H&C now if ye we're'nt sorted? Be honest now.
Moysider, you either weren't born or weren't following Mayo football to post such utter shite as you just did in regard to H+C playing in 1996. If each and every Mayo player of the era were asked who the most influential Mayo player was that year the answer would be unanimously Noel Connelly. Time and time again he set the tone on the field. Holmes won an All Star that year too and it wasn't Maughan that picked him. It would also be difficult to describe Maughan as a "County Board Patsy" given his record of run-ins with the CB over the years. If he is guilty of anything it is loyalty to his mates .. hardly the worst trait in the world. All three have given a lifetime of service to their county and clubs and don't deserve the bile you continuously spout. This is just a discussion board. The fact that you post more frequently on Mayo matters than most doesn't make you any better informed than the rest of us. You wouldn't lace the boots of those you disparage so easily.

joemamas

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 04, 2015, 04:33:20 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2015, 12:57:38 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2015, 12:36:40 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2015, 12:27:35 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 04, 2015, 12:09:04 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2015, 11:13:14 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 03, 2015, 10:46:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2015, 10:13:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 09:55:16 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2015, 09:49:28 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2015, 09:44:28 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2015, 09:31:45 PM

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2015, 09:19:58 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on October 03, 2015, 07:59:10 PM
I have to say there are some amount of "Knowledgeable" people from around the country on the inner workings of the county board and even more future intercounty managers who will be pacing the sidelines of Croke Park in the near future...Anyway, Mike Finnerty and John Maughan had a polite but narky enough chat about the weeks events on radio 1 earlier..Maughan reckons not one supporter he has spoken to all week  had backed the players, also he reckoned that there was never a problem in the set up, in fact it was never better over the past few years. Then the " two or three" troublemakers in the dressing room was mentioned, who's agenda was he serving today I wonder?
The plot thickens?

How so?
John Maughan isn't some Joe Blog, he is a well respected former Mayo player and manager and with his contacts within he would have a fair idea of what was going on behind scenes.

Why haven't we got any details on the alleged preparation issues from this year?

No need. Why on earth would anyone make it public?

To quote Get Loughnane, I wouldn't even give ye the time of the throw in.

Coup over. Off with ye to the Galway hurlers thread.

There are lots of respected Mayo figures casting doubt on the accuracy of the claims.

Are they all CB patsies?
Indeed, please enlighten me.
When did you last see a "respected Mayo" figure?  We just don't do respect down in God's Acre; it doesn't go with the psyche, ya know.
If twenty seven players do a rare up and tell their "respected" managers to f**k off  and then all barge in on a meeting with "respected" members of the county board who are running around like headless quickens and give them just 10 minutes to sort themselves out, what sort of "respected" figure can change the facts?
You have been given the reasons, time and time again, why this setup was always going to end in handbags at dawn.  So forget the conspiracy theorists, they know sweet |FA more than anyone with half an interest in the Mayo scene. This parting of the way was on since that pair took on the job- maybe not all  their fault but they should have known better.

Never realised Mayo players were held in such contempt by neutrals - not that it matters a fcku.

Never realised either that Pat and Nole were so highly regarded. Their phones must be hoppin from counties still without a manager for next year. They should be a major coup? They ll be snapped up right away I d say. What do you think Lar?
I think Pateen and Noel should do a damage limitation exercise and back away quietly and leave the whole sorry mess with the CB. They have shown more dignity in their leaving than they did in their coming. Pity the same can't be said for Mike and his buddies. Anyone on here who thinks any self-respecting Mayo fan will give even one flying f**k about what Carney, Maughan or any of the pro-establishment brigade wants to say should go and see a shrink. Their day has come and gone.

Agree but not the point I was trying to make.

Just wondering if all these neutrals that think that Pat and Nole did great this year would welcome them with open arms in their own fiefdom? Surely such great management talent will not be idle for long. These neutrals cant have our dysfunctional and uppity players. But our brilliant management duo (they get 2 good ones) are there to be snapped up. No doubt likes of Tyrone are kicking themselves for hastily reappointing Mickey before our duo became available. Have Cork sorted themselves out?

OTT Moy, those two have given more to Mayo football than any of the players have and deserve more respect than you're giving them. Maybe shouldn't have taken the job in the beginning but the Mayo players likewise don't come out of this looking like heroes either. We'll see next year if their hubris exceeded C&H's.

This team didn't deliver in the past but by their actions in the last few weeks they've called their shot for 2016 and they will be on the end of serious abuse next year if it turns out the management wasn't the key reason behind their failure.

You have got to be takin the piss. Will ye quit spinning shite. H&C are no victims. They got great opportunity in Mayo both as players and having doors open after as managers even though it was obvious they had little enough qualities to do the job. Most Mayo supporters as well would say we had better options at 5 and 7 as well in 96/97 but Sir John had his favourites and he was still holding their hands this Summer.

I know ye ve got Batman and Robin but would Roscommon be queueing up for H&C now if ye we're'nt sorted? Be honest now.
Moysider, you either weren't born or weren't following Mayo football to post such utter shite as you just did in regard to H+C playing in 1996. If each and every Mayo player of the era were asked who the most influential Mayo player was that year the answer would be unanimously Noel Connelly. Time and time again he set the tone on the field. Holmes won an All Star that year too and it wasn't Maughan that picked him. It would also be difficult to describe Maughan as a "County Board Patsy" given his record of run-ins with the CB over the years. If he is guilty of anything it is loyalty to his mates .. hardly the worst trait in the world. All three have given a lifetime of service to their county and clubs and don't deserve the bile you continuously spout. This is just a discussion board. The fact that you post more frequently on Mayo matters than most doesn't make you any better informed than the rest of us. You wouldn't lace the boots of those you disparage so easily.

The more I read about this and including Irish independent article, the more apparent it becomes that players deserved a lot better.

You may criticize Moysider, but he is articulating what a lot of people are thinking.

I feel that H&C both put their time in with Mayo playing football and like any man who represented Mayo that should never be forgotten. However their move into management of a seasoned mayo team looks to have be ill timed or ill advised.

mrhardyannual

I have no problem with criticism of management or players as long as it's not personal. Moysider is entitled to his views on H+C as managers and many/most might agree. He goes off the reservation when he announces that most Mayo supporters in 1996 felt that we had two better half wing backs than H+C and that they were only there as pals of Maughan. Also opinion was evenly divided a year ago between McStay/McHale and H+C for management. Both had managed Mayo at U21 level with H+C winning an All Ireland. McStay had won Club All Ireland with Brigids while Holmes had taken Cbar to the final. Player objections to McHale were not just "County Board" spin ... they were as well known as were player unhappiness with the outgoing management and indeed with Micky Moran in his day.

All have the best interests of Mayo at heart. Its a pity that things come to this. Mike Connelly was in a difficult position when his brother was appointed as manager. In hindsight he might not have taken the Chair and he should certainly not have been the liason between CB and Board. But he still give selflessly of his time and energy which is something that doesn't deserve to be sneered at from the anonymity of a discussion board especially since he was just back from a life threatening illness.
Truth be told Joemamas, there's no-one listening to us here but ourselves... but that's no reason for ignorance.

Mrs mills

If you are one of the 28 who turned up to address the county board, does the new man have to keep you on the panel?

Catch and Kick

The whole episode reflects poorly on the players. No matter what grievance they have. They were beaten in another replayed All Ireland Semi Final when they were in a winning position to drive on to the Final. Same as last year. Under different management.
Now you can justifiably reference poor tactical nous on the sideline in both years. But that's football. You go with a plan and it doesn't always work out.

I heard Maughan on the radio yesterday and he gave his opinion. Never liked him personally but I thought here we go again. In all these player / manager disputes the presenters come across all guns blazing in favour of the players - sickening how fawning they are in there support.

Only real option I see for Mayo now is for Horan to reach the reigns BUT it will be a poisoned chalice for him now as he MUST win the All Ireland or he is the problem....

It's a shame to see this happen and a shame to see the character assignation that goes on on these boards. Everyone involved is giving more than any poster here and for nothing only guaranteed abuse!

heffo

I hope no Mayo poster here ever has the brass balls to comment on the Dublin back room team again

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/damian-lawlor-shambolic-appointment-process-sowed-seeds-of-discontent-in-mayo-31580050.html

"squad players were not allowed travel on match days, yet the 24-strong backroom staff were"

laoislad

Brendan Rodgers is free now lads....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

INDIANA

Quote from: Mrs mills on October 04, 2015, 07:49:28 PM
If you are one of the 28 who turned up to address the county board, does the new man have to keep you on the panel?

what happens if you were one of the 24 backroom team? Did they turn up too?

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-mayo-mutiny-prompts-the-question-of-whos-dictating-the-search-for-new-boss-31582099.html

"We know that largely the same Mayo panel have taken part in seven All-Ireland semi-finals in the past five years and managed to win just two. They have played in two All-Ireland finals and lost both, which means that out of nine high-grade national competition games Mayo have won TWO and failed to win SEVEN.

Never in the history of the GAA has a county played in as many semi-finals and finals over such a condensed period without winning even one All-Ireland. It is important to stress this fact, and the recent history of Mayo, in order to put in context what has led up to these latest developments."

On

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-talks-to-paul-kimmage-i-find-it-hard-to-think-of-myself-as-anything-other-than-ordinary-31454305.htmle of McGee's insights I really like is the following :

EMcG: A lot of the matches are shite, but the worst of all is having to write the column in wintertime. I sit down every Saturday night and say, 'What am I going to write here?'. I'm 30 years writing columns now, for God's sake! And some of the stuff I write on Monday is pure shite."

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2015, 10:57:01 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-mayo-mutiny-prompts-the-question-of-whos-dictating-the-search-for-new-boss-31582099.html

"We know that largely the same Mayo panel have taken part in seven All-Ireland semi-finals in the past five years and managed to win just two. They have played in two All-Ireland finals and lost both, which means that out of nine high-grade national competition games Mayo have won TWO and failed to win SEVEN.

Never in the history of the GAA has a county played in as many semi-finals and finals over such a condensed period without winning even one All-Ireland. It is important to stress this fact, and the recent history of Mayo, in order to put in context what has led up to these latest developments."

On

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-talks-to-paul-kimmage-i-find-it-hard-to-think-of-myself-as-anything-other-than-ordinary-31454305.htmle of McGee's insights I really like is the following :

EMcG: A lot of the matches are shite, but the worst of all is having to write the column in wintertime. I sit down every Saturday night and say, 'What am I going to write here?'. I'm 30 years writing columns now, for God's sake! And some of the stuff I write on Monday is pure shite."

Galway have failed to win a Connacht title in SEVEN years! They have beaten Leitrim and New York this year! London and Sligo the year before. No one the year before that (I wont mention what Mayo beat ye by). Roscommon the year before that and lost to Sligo. No one the year before that. New York the year before that before losing to Sligo. Ye beat London and Sligo the year before that.

Jesus I look at us and then I look at ye and it's a different world!  :-\

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2015, 10:57:01 PM

On

I know that McGee is gospel with a lot of football people. But he's a gobshite of the highest order imo. Same Mayo panel my hole. It doesn t matter a damn. He was shafting us in 00s, 90s, and 80s as well. He was even 'nasty' about Mayo players that played for him and won him Sigersons back in the 70's. f**k him.

Shrewdness

How long before Horan's reappointed? If/when he returns, things could be different from before. It's like reuniting with an ex girlfriend. Somehow, it never seems the same, second time around.