Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Quote from: Tothefuture on October 30, 2015, 12:29:25 PM
As someone new to showing an interest in GAA in the last few years I have to say I welcome Jarlath's comments. I come from Co Armagh and grew up with no knowledge of the Sport. Having seen however through my Career the huge benefits that GAA can have on young people I have toyed with the idea of getting My own children involved in Our local club.

I have to say however my concern is whether it would encompass any political outlook. I have no interest in my Children attending sports clubs with flags etc and have been lucky in that the coaching or clubs in other sports they have went to have involved none of this. I fully expected GAA to be the same however having families members attend a GAA awards night at a different club I noticed Tricolours up for the Childrens ceremony. Would this be the norm in most clubs?

I think you are someone 'old' i.e. not a newbie.

Tothefuture

Quote from: Aristo 60 on October 30, 2015, 12:58:12 PM
As someone new to showing an interest in GAA in the last few years I have to say I welcome Jarlath's comments. I come from Co Armagh and grew up with no knowledge of the Sport. Having seen however through my Career the huge benefits that GAA can have on young people I have toyed with the idea of getting My own children involved in Our local club.

I have to say however my concern is whether it would encompass any political outlook. I have no interest in my Children attending sports clubs with flags etc and have been lucky in that the coaching or clubs in other sports they have went to have involved none of this. I fully expected GAA to be the same however having families members attend a GAA awards night at a different club I noticed Tricolours up for the Childrens ceremony. Would this be the norm in most clubs?

What

I think you are someone 'old' i.e. not a newbie.

I don't get it?

Applesisapples

It would not be the norm in clubs, however Irish Culture and a nationalist outlook would be in the make up of most clubs. They would also tend to be respectful of members of the protestant tradition.

rrhf

No a gaa club is as apolitical an organisation as you will probably see throughout ni.  Just case away any hang ups ye might have in yer own head. Welcome aboard and start improving your kids lifestyle now!!

Hardy

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if these have been asked already.

1. What is the purpose of playing the national anthem before games?
2. What is the flag flown for?

Rossfan

Back in the day as a way of proving we weren't just regional British people.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Now only some of us are regional British people.

For the rest the flag and anthem represent something bringing everyone together before the two teams start tearing strips off each other.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rrhf

Quote from: Hardy on November 01, 2015, 02:54:29 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if these have been asked already.

1. What is the purpose of playing the national anthem before games?
2. What is the flag flown for?
We forgive you.

Tothefuture

Quote from: rrhf on November 01, 2015, 08:25:34 AM

No a gaa club is as apolitical an organisation as you will probably see throughout ni.  Just case away any hang ups ye might have in yer own head. Welcome aboard and start improving your kids lifestyle now!!
Thanks for the reply, Ill head myself to a club game and take it from there.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tothefuture on October 30, 2015, 01:00:26 PM
I don't get it?

He's accusing you of being a sock puppet of an existing contributor. Some people around here think it's customary to be unfriendly to newcomers, and this is often reflected in their attitude to attracting protestants into the game.

To address your concerns, there are nuances in the GAA. Some clubs might have a lot of members who are politically minded, others are only interested in the game.

theskull1

There is zero triumphalism involved in flying the tri colour or playing the national anthem inside a gaa ground.

Parading behind a band and playing the national anthem at the more important games adds that bit of pomp and ceremony to the occasion. That's about the height of it.

Any nationalist would want the Orange and Green to find a togetherness. The GAA is a fantastic local resource that could help break down a lot of barriers and improve community adhesion.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

Quote from: theskull1 on November 03, 2015, 08:22:47 AM
There is zero triumphalism involved in flying the tri colour or playing the national anthem inside a gaa ground.

Parading behind a band and playing the national anthem at the more important games adds that bit of pomp and ceremony to the occasion. That's about the height of it.

Any nationalist would want the Orange and Green to find a togetherness. The GAA is a fantastic local resource that could help break down a lot of barriers and improve community adhesion.

Agreed. It is amazing at kids matches in Dublin to hear the Mammies & Daddies shouting in different languages.
MWWSI 2017

Tothefuture

I can definitely see how community based an organisation it is. I do however feel that the organisation if it really wanted to reach out could do more. I don't mean to be having a go, in my life I have never been encouraged by the organisation to come and give it a go and my local club is a mile out the road.

theskull1

One man's having never been encouraged is another man's not ramming it down their throat. So hard to get the subtleties right to suit (or indeed not offend a population where many 'can' be easily annoyed) and not get dragged in to the mire of political debate.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Beffs

Quote from: Tothefuture on November 03, 2015, 06:19:18 PM

I can definitely see how community based an organisation it is. I do however feel that the organisation if it really wanted to reach out could do more. I don't mean to be having a go, in my life I have never been encouraged by the organisation to come and give it a go and my local club is a mile out the road.

Just out of curiosity, but what exactly do you mean by your not being encouraged by the organisation to give it a go at your local club? What form should that encouragement take exactly? Do you want them to come to your front door and engage with you personally? Have you wanted to go down to your local club, but people specifically told you not to?