Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 28, 2015, 10:28:35 PM
Ah sure while he's at it, he may as well drop the Gaelic part from it and just call it the A.A. The GAA was founded on nationalism. I know that some people will agree with him, but I don't.

Founded about 130 years ago.

Being hostages to 19th century ideals is never going to be the best approach Farr. Same sentiment in Amercan politics where they deify their country's founders as if they were any more enlightened or any less flawed humans than people today. The GAA is the possession of the present, not the past.

To me the GAA should be about sport and community first and foremost, a national anthem or a flag have little meaning to me when I go to see my county or club play football. Anything that would make the sports more inclusive is a positive.

sligoman2

I agree. I've never went to a match to hear the national anthem or watch a flag. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

tonto1888

I do like the anthem and the flag but I reckon a compromise could be reached. Say maybe only from quarter final stage???
Also, if they were done away with, how many Protestants/unionists would we attract

muppet

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 02, 2015, 09:10:25 PM
I do like the anthem and the flag but I reckon a compromise could be reached. Say maybe only from quarter final stage???
Also, if they were done away with, how many Protestants/unionists would we attract

I agree to a certain extent. The Anthem is played too often.

I think we should reserve it for the big occasions, such as County, Provincial and All-Ireland Finals.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on October 02, 2015, 09:27:44 PM

I agree to a certain extent. The Anthem is played too often.

I think we should reserve it for the big occasions, such as County, Provincial and All-Ireland Finals.
+1.
This scratching it out at every oul League game and the like is silly and disrespectful.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Maybe the anthem is overplayed I agree with that as in league games but I don't agree with others that it means nothing , i love it in croker and so do the majority .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Franko

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 29, 2015, 06:04:20 PM
Pleasantly surprised to see such agreement with Jarlath's proposal. Apart from the potential to make the GAA more appealing to some (others will never embrace it, and we should spend little time trying to accommodate them) the flag and anthem add little as it is.

Only seeing this now, hence my late reply.  Your statement is simply bollocks.  As a player, standing for the anthem before a game is a very proud moment for me and most certainly adds to the occasion.  You certainly don't speak for all gaels with this.

Rossfan

Quote from: Franko on October 03, 2015, 09:56:20 AM
Pleasantly surprised to see such agreement with Jarlath's proposal. Apart from the potential to make the GAA more appealing to some (others will never embrace it, and we should spend little time trying to accommodate them) the flag and anthem add little as it is.

Only seeing this now, hence my late reply.  Your statement is simply bollocks.  As a player, standing for the anthem before a game is a very proud moment for me and most certainly adds to the occasion.  You certainly don't speak for all gaels with this.
And neither do you ;)
I see that quaint term "gaels" hasn't totally vanished yet.
Does the word " Gaeldom" ever get used any more?

Franko

Quote from: Rossfan on October 03, 2015, 11:28:24 AM

And neither do you ;)

No, but I thought I'd cleared that up by using the phrase 'for me' you idiot.

Maguire01

I never claimed to speak for anyone other than myself, so calm yourself.

larryin89

And neither do you ;)

Why is there such a need for scrutiny in everything in today's world . A Gael , a person who loves the GAA and has a gra for a bit of aul nationalism , what about it , what's the problem .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Franko

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 03, 2015, 11:48:30 AM

In your opinion, the flag and anthem add nothing. That carries a little less weight than your previous announcement. In my opinion they add a great deal.

Rossfan

Quote from: Franko on October 03, 2015, 11:41:40 AM

And neither do you ;)

No, but I thought I'd cleared that up by using the phrase 'for me' you idiot.
I'm not an idiot and stop the personal abuse.
Another  cranky getting out the wrong side of the bed

Maguire01

Quote from: Franko on October 03, 2015, 12:54:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 03, 2015, 11:48:30 AM

In your opinion, the flag and anthem add nothing. That carries a little less weight than your previous announcement. In my opinion they add a great deal.
Good for you.

Syferus

You have to think long term though. By itself it isn't going to get many unionists to play GAA but given how heightened in importance anthems and flags are in the north removing that obstacle makes efforts to be more inclusive in the future less likely to die on the rocks of something silly and not really of any functional importance to the sport's the GAA promotes and organises.