Greatest Sporting Upsets.

Started by 5 Sams, September 24, 2015, 09:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2015, 01:11:21 PM
Foinaven in the Aintree grand national

Norton's Coin winning the 1990 Cheltenham Gold Cup at 100/1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZCalLTJgM
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Wildweasel74

upset beating the horse than couldnt be beaten, Manowar

extra time

3rd Div Qpr beating 1st Div Wba in the 1967 first ever Wembly lge cup final after being 2 down with 30 mins left.

StGallsGAA

England vs W Germany WC final 1966. Complete fluke on home soil underpinned by the fact they haven't won as much as a saucepan since!

BennyCake

Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 27, 2015, 06:03:18 PM
England vs W Germany WC final 1966. Complete fluke on home soil underpinned by the fact they haven't won as much as a saucepan since!

They won that pre-World Cup tournament in 1997. Actually, yes, you're right. They haven't won as much as a saucepan since  ;D

ONeill

Wouldn't agree. 4 years later they were almost as good as the side which many claim as the best to have won it. And in the World Cup in '62 they were unlucky to meet Brazil in the quarters and Garrincha.

That 62-70 side were world class.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

redcard

Quote from: ONeill on September 27, 2015, 11:40:29 PM

Wouldn't agree. 4 years later they were almost as good as the side which many claim as the best to have won it. And in the World Cup in '62 they were unlucky to meet Brazil in the quarters and Garrincha.

Peter Bonetti.  Was Banks injured I can't remember

ONeill

Quote from: redcard on September 27, 2015, 11:46:00 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 27, 2015, 11:40:29 PM

Peter Bonetti.  Was Banks injured I can't remember

Food poisoning.

England should have won the Euros in '68. Lost in the semis to Yugoslavia. Lost Stiles and Hurst to injury before it and Mullery sent off during it - the first English man sent off in international football I think.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 25, 2015, 05:46:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2015, 01:11:21 PM
Foinaven in the Aintree grand national

Norton's Coin winning the 1990 Cheltenham Gold Cup at 100/1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZCalLTJgM

Yes. Has to be up there with the most extraordinary results ever. Never had form before or much after really. Not like Foinavon where most other horses fell or were impeded. The Gold Cup is run on level weight and as far as I can recall there was no catastrophic event to mess about with the more favoured horses. He beat Desert Orchid - one of the bravest and best ever - on level weights. Crazy result.
An ould handicapper can win the Grand National but this was unreal.

pullhard

Upset - few years ago antrim beat Kilkenny in Hurling - Walsh cup (I know, I know)

Comeback

america's cup 2013 - no debating this surely

AZOffaly

stew

Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 24, 2015, 10:31:39 PM
Armagh v Tyrone aif 2003

I was gonna be upset either way

The fix was in.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.