Arlene Foster going to be the new First Minister?

Started by heganboy, September 23, 2015, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Bullshit.Its no longer colonialism.The British wanted out 100 years ago.As the late Fr Faul said they now see their role here as merely refereeing a fight between warring tribes.Lets examine the facts.

There are two large blocs here,one Irish Nationalist one British.Paradoxically the current governments in London and Dublin (and their peoples) do not want  or identify with either of them.

The only way to solve the mutually exclusive sovereign allegiances is by mutual respect and tolerance for each other's cultures.

You cannot criticise or accuse one community's politicians of bigotry if your own politicians do not offer magnanimity and tolerance of the other community's culture.

StGallsGAA

QuoteYou cannot criticise or accuse one community's politicians of bigotry if your own politicians do not offer magnanimity and tolerance of the other community's culture.

Oh yes you can!!

T Fearon

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2015, 06:09:59 PM
Bullshit.Its no longer colonialism.The British wanted out 100 years ago.As the late Fr Faul said they now see their role here as merely refereeing a fight between warring tribes.Lets examine the facts.

There are two large blocs here,one Irish Nationalist one British.Paradoxically the current governments in London and Dublin (and their peoples) do not want  or identify with either of them.

The only way to solve the mutually exclusive sovereign allegiances is by mutual respect and tolerance for each other's cultures.

There is no doubt that is by mutual respect and tolerance is the way forward. But an honest analysis is needed, not the type of bollix that says there are two sides, therefore one is a bad as the other.

QuoteYes,but that's called hypocrisy

Hypocrisy is the stock in trade of politics in every country. But unionists take hypocrisy to a level never seen before, they totally lack any concept of shame in demanding something for your lot while denying the same kind of respect for the other lot.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Er I happen to think the extremes on both sides are as bad as each other,and sadly nothing pleases one side than some action that displeases the other.Until there's widespread acknowledgement on both sides that the other exists and has a legitimate different sovereign allegiance, and has a culture that deserves respect and tolerance (when it is practiced respectfully and inoffensively), there will be no progress unfortunately.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2015, 08:18:38 PM
Er I happen to think the extremes on both sides are as bad as each other,and sadly nothing pleases one side than some action that displeases the other.Until there's widespread acknowledgement on both sides that the other exists and has a legitimate different sovereign allegiance, and has a culture that deserves respect and tolerance (when it is practiced respectfully and inoffensively), there will be no progress unfortunately.

The extremes being as bad as each other isn't really the point, nor is it really true. Once again you are pedalling the falsehood that an intention to colonise a country is as legitimate as wishing to see it democratically ruled by its own people on an equal basis. Many of the most virulent unionists purport to have respect for the bible, which disregarding the adage "thou shalt not steal", which pretty much precludes invading and colonising other places.

T Fearon

Ah you're going back centuries.In any case, the vast majority of Irish people voted for unity by consent only,including all nationalist parties,in 1998.This ends the colonisation argument.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2015, 08:43:19 PM
Ah you're going back centuries.

I have no concern for what happened in the past, unless people are still trying to do it. Arlene Foster has the same aim as Cromwell, to bring Ireland or part of it under British rule, her methods are certainly preferable but her aims remain objectionable all the same.

QuoteIn any case, the vast majority of Irish people voted for unity by consent only,including all nationalist parties,in 1998.This ends the colonisation argument.

This indicates the process by which the colonisation will be solved, it was not some sort of vindication of colonisation.

T Fearon

It is nothing more than one tradition trying to preserve its identity,while viewing the other community as a danger and a threat to that identity.Once both communities get beyond this viewpoint,then mutual tolerance and respect will ensue.

Colonisation is obsolete by at least a couple of centuries.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2015, 10:11:47 PM
It is nothing more than one tradition trying to preserve its identity,while viewing the other community as a danger and a threat to that identity.Once both communities get beyond this viewpoint,then mutual tolerance and respect will ensue.

The sash my father wore  is all very fine, but what your father and grandfather was trying to do was not right it does not justify you trying to do it. If your entire identify is based on division and supremacism then normality is a threat and only the continuation of abnormality will suffice.

Brick Tamlin

Portadown is one of the biggest kips in the North. Craigavon and Lurgan too.

imtommygunn

Kickham csc

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 28, 2015, 12:18:44 AM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 27, 2015, 01:08:59 AMThis organisation has at its basis an anti catholic agenda. Why would a protestant who sees his catholic co-worker/neighbour as an equal want to be a member of such a blatantly sectarian orginisation?
While cross-community relations across NI/The North/OWC/Six Counties etc. vary wildly from place to place, I think it's worth giving an example of Fintona. Back in July it was the "turn" here to host the 12th demonstration for the West Tyrone area. The local LOL lodge responsible for organising the event did not put up any bunting or flags until they started at around 5am on Monday 13th, in an aftermath of anti-social behaviour that seen a local pub's front door getting rammed. The Catholic owners of the pub, whom were ready for a busy day of custom, managed to contact a local Protestant joinery business whose owners are members of the local LOL early that morning to fix them up with temporary double-doors in a couple of hours while a mixture of Catholics & Protestants helped clean up the mess done by the joyriders knocking over floral displays. The day passed, and the local lodge took down the flags, banners & bunting and cleaned up all the streets and roads used for demonstrations before sunset. In prior preparations, the local Parish Priest and PE opened up car parking space at the parish hall in the centre of Fintona and also at the pastoral centre on the edge of town on the day. While marching bands are not much my scene and I didn't go out to watch any of them, the day went well for all involved despite what happened before sunrise. A bit of mutual sense & respect that goes both ways works here.

Now, places like Portydown on the other hand...

But is this not the argument about country 'v' town

In the country, relationships between communities is much stronger because historically they relied on each other, eg. farmers helping each other out etc.

Where I come from, a relation of mine (republican background) has a  farm that runs onto a unionist farm (of DUP background)

When the catholic farmer went away to the All Ireland etc, the protestant farmer milked the cattle and visa versa.

The part I loved, was that the Catholic farmer bought green white and gold rock back as a gift and the Protestant farmer usually brought red white and blue
rock, and the both had a good laugh about it.

They always marched down the road on the twelfth, and never met any hassle.

johnneycool

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 28, 2015, 12:18:44 AM
Quote from: Windmill abu on September 27, 2015, 01:08:59 AMThis organisation has at its basis an anti catholic agenda. Why would a protestant who sees his catholic co-worker/neighbour as an equal want to be a member of such a blatantly sectarian orginisation?
While cross-community relations across NI/The North/OWC/Six Counties etc. vary wildly from place to place, I think it's worth giving an example of Fintona. Back in July it was the "turn" here to host the 12th demonstration for the West Tyrone area. The local LOL lodge responsible for organising the event did not put up any bunting or flags until they started at around 5am on Monday 13th, in an aftermath of anti-social behaviour that seen a local pub's front door getting rammed. The Catholic owners of the pub, whom were ready for a busy day of custom, managed to contact a local Protestant joinery business whose owners are members of the local LOL early that morning to fix them up with temporary double-doors in a couple of hours while a mixture of Catholics & Protestants helped clean up the mess done by the joyriders knocking over floral displays. The day passed, and the local lodge took down the flags, banners & bunting and cleaned up all the streets and roads used for demonstrations before sunset. In prior preparations, the local Parish Priest and PE opened up car parking space at the parish hall in the centre of Fintona and also at the pastoral centre on the edge of town on the day. While marching bands are not much my scene and I didn't go out to watch any of them, the day went well for all involved despite what happened before sunrise. A bit of mutual sense & respect that goes both ways works here.

Now, places like Portydown on the other hand...

Is it just me but are 'mutual sense and respect' more likely to occur in a nationalist dominated area, council?

Just thinking of how come councils share out the Mayors duties and how some don't!

T Fearon

Bummer did you not try to mobilise the march protestors in the same way as you attempted to mobilise the Fermanagh support for the 2002 Ulster semi final clash against Armagh? ;D ;D

In Portadown the local Orange lodge loaned a local nationalist band instruments for its trip to New York for St Patrick's Day a couple of years ago.As I said the vast majority of people simply don't care about parades or protests!