Started by AZOffaly, September 21, 2015, 02:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bingo on September 22, 2015, 04:15:13 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 22, 2015, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 22, 2015, 03:46:43 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 22, 2015, 02:12:31 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 22, 2015, 02:11:08 PM
I can't believe something like this should happen. I'd imagine all the jubilee team should be put up in the hotel the night before or at the very least meet up for a brunch beforehand and all be fast-tracked through security.

This reflects very badly on the GAA in my view. It shouldn't have happened.

That's a good point. Having a guy turn up under his own steam suggests they're doing it on the cheap, which is bad form.

I think that's a bit unfair to suggest it was done on the cheap. Was the whole purpose of having it in Croke Park on the day of the All-Ireland final not sufficient enough? I'm sure inside they where all wined and dined, had good seats, got family in etc. Unless you expect the GAA to send cars for everyone, what more can be done. The event they are attending is in Croke Park, that's the meeting point and amble comfort and quality space in there to be well looked after.

No idea if they get accommodation the night before or what the deal is.

I'm sure there is fault on all sides but I'm sure some common sense on the day would have avoided this. Unfortunately its a quality that is lacking more and more these days.

What would it costs to treat these lads correctly? Put them up the night before etc? In a day and age where players are getting their weeks shopping to their front door every week surely you could find a couple of grand so an incident like this couldn't happen.

I don't honestly see the merit in putting them up the night before, they may well be put up. Its not the main event of the weekend by any stretch of the weekend but its a nice touch and in all the years and with all the players involved this is the first time any sort of incident has occurred. 80k plus made their way into Croke Park at the weekend, many of them with passes for various levels of access and all seem to have found their way in. God knows what happened in this case.

Even if they are put up, whats to stop a few of them doing their own thing anyway and turning up separate from the rest.

Personally I think its a nice wee tradition and the boys involved are in the whole very appreciative of what they get out of it.

One steward not displaying any level of common sense or knowing a past great shouldn't see a whole rethink of the event.
Miserable HOOR!

T Fearon

Ffs I would say a lot of any County's supporters wouldn't even recognise half the players from 25 years ago,unless they became media pundits or achieved fame in another field.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2015, 04:24:37 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on September 22, 2015, 04:01:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2015, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 22, 2015, 12:52:46 PM
Some people are just unreasonable, sounds like there were a few involved in this instance. Was up the premium for the hurling final a few years ago and called down to chat to the aul lad who was in a different section. Was standing out of the way at the back chatting away when a steward asked where was I sitting. Told him I was up the way and would be gone in a minute. Fella nearby overheard and said the seat beside him was free as his wife had left the ticket at home (she was probably from Cork  :P) and wouldn't be coming. So I hopped in beside him and your man went away. He must have thought about this for 10 minutes as he arrived back and proceeded to make a hoo ha that I had to be in the exact seat on my ticket and the fire officer would be enforcing it. Some people.  ::)
Think I told this story on here before but a few years ago I went to a game on my own(think it was Laois v Wexford as part of a Dublin double header) and sat in the seat that was on my ticket.
It started to rain and I moved back under cover to where there was loads of empty seats. A steward saw me moving and same thing happened like yourself he came over and asked me to move back to my seat.
I told him to go fcuk himself as you do and he went off in a huff muttering something about getting a Guard.
Anyway back he came with a Garda in tow and pointed at me and said that's him.
I took one look at the Guard and burst out laughing,and so did the Guard. The steward hadn't a clue what was going on.
The Guard he brought back was my brother.!
Anyway I didn't move and the brother told the steward to stop wasting his time.
That's a cracker ;D

That's hilarious.

What was the accusation, swearing in the rain?

Hmmmm. I dunno. For lots of event stewards act in a voluntary capacity and events could not go on without them. Runs, cycle races etc. The rule of thumb is that if a steward gets grief they call a guard. Ok that steward was being too fussy but still no need to f**k him out of it. I wonder what would have unfolded if the guard was not the brother?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 22, 2015, 04:50:39 PM
There is no doubt Teddy got a bit thick on it. It's hard to know where the truth lies here, probably somewhere in between. I can't for the life of me believe that Teddy couldn't have phoned someone from the CB or Croke Park to sort. I'd guess he also was given clear instructions as to the time and the place. That said a little discretion on behalf of the HiViz's wouldn't have hurt.

I heard Sean Kelly ex president rang him to try to convince him to come back but he kept driving for home.

magpie seanie

Quote from: twohands!!! on September 23, 2015, 12:01:17 PM
There is no doubt Teddy got a bit thick on it. It's hard to know where the truth lies here, probably somewhere in between. I can't for the life of me believe that Teddy couldn't have phoned someone from the CB or Croke Park to sort. I'd guess he also was given clear instructions as to the time and the place. That said a little discretion on behalf of the HiViz's wouldn't have hurt.

I heard Sean Kelly ex president rang him to try to convince him to come back but he kept driving for home.

they mustn't have wanted him to attend if they got that tube to ring him.

Bingo

Teddys original story that he headed down the road straight away has changed and he stayed in the area and watched the game in a pub and travelled back to Cork later in the evening. It also emerged that he ripped his ticket up in front of the Croke park steward.

Whole episode wholly un-necessary.

Keyser soze

.....Teddy McCarthy goes from gate 1 to gate 2 .....no relation....Teddy McCarthy goes back to gate 1 from gate 2...still no relation...

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Bingo on September 23, 2015, 02:24:02 PM

Teddys original story that he headed down the road straight away has changed and he stayed in the area and watched the game in a pub and travelled back to Cork later in the evening. It also emerged that he ripped his ticket up in front of the Croke park steward.
I heard he arrived with a ticket for the zoo and that's when all the confusion started.

Bingo

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 23, 2015, 03:21:46 PM

I heard he arrived with a ticket for the zoo and that's when all the confusion started.

No he arrived at the zoo with a ticket for croke park.....

deiseach

He asked to be directed to the azoo and they had no idea what he meant. Bloody foreigners.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 23, 2015, 03:21:46 PM

An easy mistake to make, given all the "f**king animals" that were inside the ground for the day...

foxcommander

To be fair I'd tell him to eff off as well - media-hungry little opportunist that he is.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

ashman

muppet

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

RTE to make a documentary about this."F..ked off before the Match!"

Meanwhile Teddy has listed a series of demands to entice him to return to matches at Croker.

1.Red carpet from his car parked in Clonliffe to Croke Park entrance.

2.Artane Band fanfare to mark his arrival.

3.A Teddy Mc Carthy special sign posted trail to direct him to proper destination inside stadium with which every steward must,by formal training,be familiar with.