Teddy McCarthy not allowed in for Cork jubilee celebrations

Started by AZOffaly, September 21, 2015, 02:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on September 22, 2015, 02:12:31 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 22, 2015, 02:11:08 PM
I can't believe something like this should happen. I'd imagine all the jubilee team should be put up in the hotel the night before or at the very least meet up for a brunch beforehand and all be fast-tracked through security.

This reflects very badly on the GAA in my view. It shouldn't have happened.

That's a good point. Having a guy turn up under his own steam suggests they're doing it on the cheap, which is bad form.

I think that's a bit unfair to suggest it was done on the cheap. Was the whole purpose of having it in Croke Park on the day of the All-Ireland final not sufficient enough? I'm sure inside they where all wined and dined, had good seats, got family in etc. Unless you expect the GAA to send cars for everyone, what more can be done. The event they are attending is in Croke Park, that's the meeting point and amble comfort and quality space in there to be well looked after.

No idea if they get accommodation the night before or what the deal is.

I'm sure there is fault on all sides but I'm sure some common sense on the day would have avoided this. Unfortunately its a quality that is lacking more and more these days.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on September 22, 2015, 03:46:43 PM
I can't believe something like this should happen. I'd imagine all the jubilee team should be put up in the hotel the night before or at the very least meet up for a brunch beforehand and all be fast-tracked through security.

That's a good point. Having a guy turn up under his own steam suggests they're doing it on the cheap, which is bad form.

I think that's a bit unfair to suggest it was done on the cheap. Was the whole purpose of having it in Croke Park on the day of the All-Ireland final not sufficient enough? I'm sure inside they where all wined and dined, had good seats, got family in etc. Unless you expect the GAA to send cars for everyone, what more can be done. The event they are attending is in Croke Park, that's the meeting point and amble comfort and quality space in there to be well looked after.

I'm sure there is fault on all sides but I'm sure some common sense on the day would have avoided this. Unfortunately its a quality that is lacking more and more these days.

What would it costs to treat these lads correctly? Put them up the night before etc? In a day and age where players are getting their weeks shopping to their front door every week surely you could find a couple of grand so an incident like this couldn't happen.

HiMucker

Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2015, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 22, 2015, 12:52:46 PM
Some people are just unreasonable, sounds like there were a few involved in this instance. Was up the premium for the hurling final a few years ago and called down to chat to the aul lad who was in a different section. Was standing out of the way at the back chatting away when a steward asked where was I sitting. Told him I was up the way and would be gone in a minute. Fella nearby overheard and said the seat beside him was free as his wife had left the ticket at home (she was probably from Cork  :P) and wouldn't be coming. So I hopped in beside him and your man went away. He must have thought about this for 10 minutes as he arrived back and proceeded to make a hoo ha that I had to be in the exact seat on my ticket and the fire officer would be enforcing it. Some people.  ::)
Think I told this story on here before but a few years ago I went to a game on my own(think it was Laois v Wexford as part of a Dublin double header) and sat in the seat that was on my ticket.
It started to rain and I moved back under cover to where there was loads of empty seats. A steward saw me moving and same thing happened like yourself he came over and asked me to move back to my seat.
I told him to go fcuk himself as you do and he went off in a huff muttering something about getting a Guard.
Anyway back he came with a Garda in tow and pointed at me and said that's him.
I took one look at the Guard and burst out laughing,and so did the Guard. The steward hadn't a clue what was going on.
The Guard he brought back was my brother.!
Anyway I didn't move and the brother told the steward to stop wasting his time.
That's a cracker ;D

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 22, 2015, 04:00:07 PM
[What would it costs to treat these lads correctly? Put them up the night before etc? In a day and age where players are getting their weeks shopping to their front door every week surely you could find a couple of grand so an incident like this couldn't happen.

Can they not find a sponsor for it who I'm sure would love to have their name plastered about Croker while the presentation would be going on? Give them an oul overnight and bus them to Croker.
How much £££££ back in the day did those lads bring through the gates?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 22, 2015, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 22, 2015, 03:46:43 PM

What would it costs to treat these lads correctly? Put them up the night before etc? In a day and age where players are getting their weeks shopping to their front door every week surely you could find a couple of grand so an incident like this couldn't happen.

I don't honestly see the merit in putting them up the night before, they may well be put up. Its not the main event of the weekend by any stretch of the weekend but its a nice touch and in all the years and with all the players involved this is the first time any sort of incident has occurred. 80k plus made their way into Croke Park at the weekend, many of them with passes for various levels of access and all seem to have found their way in. God knows what happened in this case.

Even if they are put up, whats to stop a few of them doing their own thing anyway and turning up separate from the rest.

Personally I think its a nice wee tradition and the boys involved are in the whole very appreciative of what they get out of it.

One steward not displaying any level of common sense or knowing a past great shouldn't see a whole rethink of the event.

muppet

Quote from: HiMucker on September 22, 2015, 04:01:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2015, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 22, 2015, 12:52:46 PM
Some people are just unreasonable, sounds like there were a few involved in this instance. Was up the premium for the hurling final a few years ago and called down to chat to the aul lad who was in a different section. Was standing out of the way at the back chatting away when a steward asked where was I sitting. Told him I was up the way and would be gone in a minute. Fella nearby overheard and said the seat beside him was free as his wife had left the ticket at home (she was probably from Cork  :P) and wouldn't be coming. So I hopped in beside him and your man went away. He must have thought about this for 10 minutes as he arrived back and proceeded to make a hoo ha that I had to be in the exact seat on my ticket and the fire officer would be enforcing it. Some people.  ::)
Think I told this story on here before but a few years ago I went to a game on my own(think it was Laois v Wexford as part of a Dublin double header) and sat in the seat that was on my ticket.
It started to rain and I moved back under cover to where there was loads of empty seats. A steward saw me moving and same thing happened like yourself he came over and asked me to move back to my seat.
I told him to go fcuk himself as you do and he went off in a huff muttering something about getting a Guard.
Anyway back he came with a Garda in tow and pointed at me and said that's him.
I took one look at the Guard and burst out laughing,and so did the Guard. The steward hadn't a clue what was going on.
The Guard he brought back was my brother.!
Anyway I didn't move and the brother told the steward to stop wasting his time.
That's a cracker ;D

That's hilarious.

What was the accusation, swearing in the rain?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

laoislad laughs at the guard, the guard laughs at laoislad. *gets coat...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Applesisapples

There is no doubt Teddy got a bit thick on it. It's hard to know where the truth lies here, probably somewhere in between. I can't for the life of me believe that Teddy couldn't have phoned someone from the CB or Croke Park to sort. I'd guess he also was given clear instructions as to the time and the place. That said a little discretion on behalf of the HiViz's wouldn't have hurt.

Bord na Mona man

Remember the apocryphal Teddy McCarthy that used to do the rounds on these forums. Various versions of it generally went along these lines:

In the late 90s Clare fans were in a chipper in Cork after a match, boasting, braying and yahooing to everyone about their all conquering side.
A wizened and wise Cork sage eventually had enough and approached them.
"Yerra, ye've won 2 All Irelands in 83 years and listen to ye. Sure there's a man over there who won 2 All Irelands in 2 weeks" as he pointed over at Teddy McCarthy who was wolfing down the last of a bag of curry chips.

McCarthy looks up, gave the Clare mob the finger and walks off.
*In some versions of the story he stood there minding his own business.

McCarthy could have done with yer man telling the CP bouncers to stand down and show some respect last Sunday.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 22, 2015, 04:50:39 PM
There is no doubt Teddy got a bit thick on it. It's hard to know where the truth lies here, probably somewhere in between. I can't for the life of me believe that Teddy couldn't have phoned someone from the CB or Croke Park to sort. I'd guess he also was given clear instructions as to the time and the place. That said a little discretion on behalf of the HiViz's wouldn't have hurt.

He managed the clear instructions two weeks ago for the hurling version. He probably managed it last year for the 1989 football version as well.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2015, 11:00:32 AM
Quote from: Boycey on September 22, 2015, 10:56:49 AM
Given that Teddy went through the same process exactly two weeks previous he should of had some clue where he was supposed to go etc??

Teddy says that himself. I think he was in the right place first off, and the fact he was sent back there at the end would suggest the same.

You know yourself; he was there 2 weeks ago, he heads up to the same door in good form, the jobsworth sends him somewhere else and somewhere else sends him back. Anyone might be a bit pissed at this, he may have been a bit wound up but it was the staff that were at fault and it was up to them to apologise at that stage and bring him in. They need a new head of security.

QuoteOne steward not displaying any level of common sense or knowing a past great shouldn't see a whole rethink of the event.

No, but it should lead to a rethink of how they organise stewarding and access generally.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Boy Wonder

Re. 25 years celebration - it bugs me that RTE can't cut  away from their pre-match discussion to show the players being introduced to the crowd - I know they do give it 20 secs. They used to cover it properly some years back.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on September 22, 2015, 08:18:47 PM
Re. 25 years celebration - it bugs me that RTE can't cut  away from their pre-match discussion to show the players being introduced to the crowd - I know they do give it 20 secs. They used to cover it properly some years back.

I agree. I think they only stopped doing the coverage when they lost the rights to the Minor final.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on September 22, 2015, 08:18:47 PM

No doubt Sky do a great job with this, as they are a saviours of GAA coverage. Perhaps someone could link us to this aspect of their 21st century service.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B