Eamonn Fitz. Not up to his ratings?

Started by Nihilist, September 21, 2015, 02:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2015, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2015, 03:30:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2015, 03:25:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 21, 2015, 03:17:28 PM
Eamonn Fitzmaurice is a good manager and one loss doesn't change that.

After the semi final last year Gavin got lambasted for his teams tactics against Donegal but he learned from it . . . I'm sure Fitzmaurice will do the same!

He's a good manager but that Kerry team is in decline.

Made a bad mistake bringing Galvin back. At that level of football you don't take a year out in your 30's.

Half forward line were awful yesterday and he waited far too long to change it.

He left Cooper on when his form didn't merit it.

Tactically the long ball into Geaney was a disaster as he's unsuited to it.

Agree with most of that, apart from the last line. Geaney is actually a very good primary ball winner, but yesterday was going to be very hard to make anything stick. I thought they should have brought Donaghy in earlier, and tried to cause havoc with the slippy ball breaking and have Geaney and O'Donoghue trying to sweep up, old-school style.

Johnny Buckley contributed nothing. Donnacha Walsh very little. Gooch nothing in that role. Galvin coming on was very strange.

A forward line of

O'Brien    Gooch     Darren O'Sullivan

Geaney    Donaghy    O'Donoghue

would, I think, have caused Dublin problems, even in those conditions.

Gooch may be done I'm afraid. It was a desperately bad knee injury he suffered. Doesn't seem to have the gas anymore.

JOD is just not a good enough winner of primary possession for a forward of his reputation. He needs to improve on that to join the elite forwards out there.

Defensively Kerry did quite well overall. Held Connolly and B Brogan very well.

from moran up outside Anthony Maher they had an absolute nightmare

I think you're being harsh on O'Donoghue. He kicked 3 points from play, and was battling away. It was a backs day, which is why Brogan won hardly any ball either. It was too slippy for long ball to stick.

As for Gooch, he's certainly lost a step, and he hates going backwards. I said that back when Tipp played them in Thurles. He just doesn't have that in his game. All the more reason to let him operate as a link man in around where Cian O'Sullivan was operating. Buckley offered nothing there, and Gooch may have at least tried to string a few moves together. At times yesterday Dublin had completely bottled the Kerry forwards up, and Moran, Maher, Young et al just went laterally. If they could have linked in with Gooch, he might have got on more ball and started to dictate the attacks. As it was he was an outmatched and outplayed forward going in the wrong direction.

time ticking away

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2015, 03:49:25 PM

After the semi final last year Gavin got lambasted for his teams tactics against Donegal but he learned from it . . . I'm sure Fitzmaurice will do the same!

Made a bad mistake bringing Galvin back. At that level of football you don't take a year out in your 30's.

Agree with most of that, apart from the last line. Geaney is actually a very good primary ball winner, but yesterday was going to be very hard to make anything stick. I thought they should have brought Donaghy in earlier, and tried to cause havoc with the slippy ball breaking and have Geaney and O'Donoghue trying to sweep up, old-school style.

Johnny Buckley contributed nothing. Donnacha Walsh very little. Gooch nothing in that role. Galvin coming on was very strange.

A forward line of

Gooch may be done I'm afraid. It was a desperately bad knee injury he suffered. Doesn't seem to have the gas anymore.

JOD is just not a good enough winner of primary possession for a forward of his reputation. He needs to improve on that to join the elite forwards out there.

I think you're being harsh on O'Donoghue. He kicked 3 points from play, and was battling away. It was a backs day, which is why Brogan won hardly any ball either. It was too slippy for long ball to stick.

As for Gooch, he's certainly lost a step, and he hates going backwards. I said that back when Tipp played them in Thurles. He just doesn't have that in his game. All the more reason to let him operate as a link man in around where Cian O'Sullivan was operating. Buckley offered nothing there, and Gooch may have at least tried to string a few moves together. At times yesterday Dublin had completely bottled the Kerry forwards up, and Moran, Maher, Young et al just went laterally. If they could have linked in with Gooch, he might have got on more ball and started to dictate the attacks. As it was he was an outmatched and outplayed forward going in the wrong direction.
A question for someone who was at the game please. When Kerry were attacking and Cian O Sullivan was playing as a sweeper, who marked Johnny Buckley?
It was hard to pick up from the TV
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

redcard

Quote from: time ticking away on September 21, 2015, 06:06:55 PM

A forward line of

A question for someone who was at the game please. When Kerry were attacking and Cian O Sullivan was playing as a sweeper, who marked Johnny Buckley?

Would love to tell you BUT what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch

time ticking away

Quote from: redcard on September 21, 2015, 07:21:59 PM

A forward line of

Would love to tell you BUT what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch
Ah gwan gwan
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

BennyHarp

Did the Kerry forward line end up being Galvin, Sheehan, Darren O'Sullivan, Gooch and Donaghy? All they needed was to bring on Tommy Walsh and they'd virtually have the forward line from 7 years ago. That's a poor situation for a team of Kerry's resources.
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 21, 2015, 09:34:13 PM
Did the Kerry forward line end up being Galvin, Sheehan, Darren O'Sullivan, Gooch and Donaghy? All they needed was to bring on Tommy Walsh and they'd virtually have the forward line from 7 years ago. That's a poor situation for a team of Kerry's resources.

Darren was excellent when he came on. Sheehan is too heavy to play at this level.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2015, 09:36:14 PM

Darren was excellent when he came on. Sheehan is too heavy to play at this level.

I'm always amazed how Darran O'Sullivan isn't starting more often. He always runs at defences and pops up with a score or two as well. Did well yesterday when he was brought on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

He was good to be fair, but it's strange that a county of Kerry's talent is still returning to effectively a forward line that wasn't good enough 7 years ago.
That was never a square ball!!

Nihilist

Declan O'sullivan retired last year. Only for that it definitely would have been.

It doesn't really bode well for Kerry if a rake more of the go - this year.
E.g. take your pick -
Marc O'Sé (35), A O'Mahony (35), P Galvin (35), C Cooper (32), K Donaghy (32).

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 21, 2015, 10:05:44 PM

He was good to be fair, but it's strange that a county of Kerry's talent is still returning to basically a forward line that wasn't good enough 7 years ago.

That's because they are the best available I'm sure. Even Kerry don t have many players that can perform in Aug./Sept. Dublin's forward line is well battle hardened now as well. Both Brogans in their 30s?

Players that can perform at that level are few and far between even in the stronger counties. There is no guarantee that Kerry will get any top players from these minor teams either. They are well prepared by a top coach in JOC but we ve seen other counties produce hot-house flowers that wilt in the transition to adult football. 

DuffleKing

A forward line of

The Dublin middle third picked up Walsh - he wasn't marked for the most part as he was deep.

vallankumous

By the end of the Tyrone Game Fitz had played all his cards. In order to surprise he went a bit mad as he had no surprises left. I do think that after two years he has been
brilliant and his decision making has been first class but Sunday was one game too many. I expect him to look at a constant first 15 next year.

AZOffaly

What's the Kerry starting 15 next year?

Keally

Murphy  Young maybe?  Enright

Lyne  Crowley   Fitzgerald

Moran  Maher

O'Brien         Gooch    Buckley/Walsh?

O'Donoghue  Walsh  Geaney

vallankumous

1. Billy Courtney Dr. Crokes
2. Darren Brosnan Gneeveguilla
3. Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
4. Tom O'Sullivan Dingle
5. Jack Morgan Austin Stacks
6. Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
7. Gavin White Dr. Crokes
8. Mark O'Connor (C) Dingle
9. John Mark Foley Kilgarvan
10. Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
11. Sean O'Shea Kenmare
12. Brandon Barrett Ardfert
13. Michael Foley Spa
14. Bryan Sweeney Listowel Emmets
15. Conor Geaney Dingle

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 21, 2015, 10:05:44 PM

He was good to be fair, but it's strange that a county of Kerry's talent is still returning to effectively a forward line that wasn't good enough 7 years ago.

Jesus Christ. . . it was good enough in the intervening years to compete in 4 finals and win two of them while Tyrone... well youse did beat Monaghan and Sligo this year I suppose!