Player of the Year

Started by thewobbler, September 20, 2015, 08:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conallach

McMahon was fantastic this year, but I've a wee childhood fear of eye-gouging so if I had a vote I'd have to throw it elsewhere  :-[

That said, he could have been sent off for the headbutting or gouging incidents, and should probably have had a (potentially crucial) penalty given against him in the Mayo match, so I'd actually vote against Philly based on the fact that he could have caused his own team a lot of damage had any of these been called.

I'm surprised at the McCaffrey love in. It's not that he wasn't good, it's just that the other two Dublin half backs - O'Sullivan and McCarthy were outstanding, as were Kilkenny and O'Carroll.

I'd probably opt for Kilkenny as YFOTY and find it hard to separate  O'Sullivan and McCarthy for FOTY.

muppet

Quote from: Conallach on September 23, 2015, 06:03:50 PM
McMahon was fantastic this year, but I've a wee childhood fear of eye-gouging so if I had a vote I'd have to throw it elsewhere  :-[

That said, he could have been sent off for the headbutting or gouging incidents, and should probably have had a (potentially crucial) penalty given against him in the Mayo match, so I'd actually vote against Philly based on the fact that he could have caused his own team a lot of damage had any of these been called.

I'm surprised at the McCaffrey love in. It's not that he wasn't good, it's just that the other two Dublin half backs - O'Sullivan and McCarthy were outstanding, as were Kilkenny and O'Carroll.

I'd probably opt for Kilkenny as YFOTY and find it hard to separate  O'Sullivan and McCarthy for FOTY.

Overage for YPOTY.
MWWSI 2017

Conallach

Whoops! Give him the big one then and let Diarmuid O'Connor have the YFOTY award :)

muppet

Quote from: Conallach on September 23, 2015, 06:25:28 PM
Whoops! Give him the big one then and let Diarmuid O'Connor have the YFOTY award :)

Deal!
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

Has there ever been a year where there has been nobody standing out.  Fair enough, the Dubs half backs have been good this year but in any other year there are always good half backs but you always have a few players who really light up the championship and stand out.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

I think it was a poor championship overall, and it probably got the final it deserved, even though I think it would have been a much better spectacle (and probably a bigger win for Dublin) in a dry day.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 10:23:10 AM
I think it was a poor championship overall, and it probably got the final it deserved, even though I think it would have been a much better spectacle (and probably a bigger win for Dublin) in a dry day.

I think when we expected it to take off, around quarters, semis and finals it just didn't. The really big games with the most anticipation were the biggest let downs. Mayo/Dublin was about the best of it. Westmeath/Meath an honourable mention.

ck

Philly McMahon is guilty of 3 major incidents this year;

1. Eye gouging in AIF
2. Head butting Aidan O'Shea
3. Feigning injury/Diving in semi final

McMahon got away with all of the above, no cards, no suspensions and no castigating on the Sunday game! Compare this to the Tyrone hair-toss-gate!

IMO McMahons contribution to Dublins win was massive, he was Dublins best and most consistent player but based on the above incidents alone he simply cannot get any individual award as it sends out all the wrong messages to young players.

yellowcard

Is this award voted for by journalists or players?

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Hound

Quote from: ck on September 24, 2015, 10:54:32 AM
Philly McMahon is guilty of 3 major incidents this year;

1. Eye gouging in AIF
2. Head butting Aidan O'Shea
3. Feigning injury/Diving in semi final

McMahon got away with all of the above, no cards, no suspensions and no castigating on the Sunday game! Compare this to the Tyrone hair-toss-gate!

IMO McMahons contribution to Dublins win was massive, he was Dublins best and most consistent player but based on the above incidents alone he simply cannot get any individual award as it sends out all the wrong messages to young players.
Well he's not "guilty" of any of those (yet anyway!) and TV pictures proveed conclusively that he did not head butt AOS.

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 24, 2015, 10:28:22 AM

I think when we expected it to take off, around quarters, semis and finals it just didn't. The really big games with the most anticipation were the biggest let downs. Mayo/Dublin was about the best of it. Westmeath/Meath an honourable mention.
True, might have been the worst set of quarter-finals since they were brought in.

At the top table it would have been interesting to see how Dublin and Kerry got on in the dry. Or how Tyrone would have got on against Dublin in the rain! Or how Kerry-Mayo would have went.

Its a pity the league isn't taken a bit more seriously by the teams/fans/media. Teams relatively evenly matched pitted against each other, with clear paths of progression (and regression) in place.

macdanger2

Quote from: sans pessimism on September 24, 2015, 01:47:51 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 24, 2015, 11:36:50 AM
journos

AFAIK it's both?? That's why it's called the GAA/GPA POTY

Croí na hÉireann

Spot on seanie. I got the football feast tickets this year but you couldn't say any game lived up to the previous spectacles we use get at quarter and semi final stage. Massive wins for Dublin & Kerry the first day with Fermanaghs "comeback" being the only passion raiser. Tyrone - Monaghan was a dour Ulster battle and Mayo - Donegal wasn't too bad but never really in doubt. Same with the Kerry - Tyrone game on another torrid afternoon rain wise. First Dublin - Mayo game wouldn't have looked amiss in the Ulster championship with the replay the only one on fire, in parts.

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2015, 02:29:07 PM
journos

All-Stars done by journos, POTY and YPOTY done by the players IIRC.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rodney trotter

Player of the year is voted by the journalists and players... been that way since 2011.

yellowcard

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 24, 2015, 03:23:26 PM

Spot on seanie. I got the football feast tickets this year but you couldn't say any game lived up to the previous spectacles we use get at quarter and semi final stage. Massive wins for Dublin & Kerry the first day with Fermanaghs "comeback" being the only passion raiser. Tyrone - Monaghan was a dour Ulster battle and Mayo - Donegal wasn't too bad but never really in doubt. Same with the Kerry - Tyrone game on another torrid afternoon rain wise. First Dublin - Mayo game wouldn't have looked amiss in the Ulster championship with the replay the only one on fire, in parts.

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2015, 02:29:07 PM
journos

All-Stars done by journos, POTY and YPOTY done by the players IIRC.

Thank god thats that cleared up then!