Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

bennydorano

I's say Lancaster was taking in the lie of the land this past few weeks, very few sympathetic journos on board so his future looked very bleak. Stuart Barnes in the Times was brutal in his many assessments, other Times journos were every bit as harsh.

Back to Red Dwarf i suppose

Dinny Breen

Lancaster was doing really well with England. Then Sam Burgess happened, made a very good coach look very foolish. Wonder was there something in a contract somewhere that made Lancaster pick Burgess or did Farrell just have too much influence. Seems truly bizarre.

A club like London Irish that has lost it's way should look at Lancaster as an option.
#newbridgeornowhere

NAG1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 11, 2015, 02:25:53 PM
Lancaster was doing really well with England. Then Sam Burgess happened, made a very good coach look very foolish. Wonder was there something in a contract somewhere that made Lancaster pick Burgess or did Farrell just have too much influence. Seems truly bizarre.

A club like London Irish that has lost it's way should look at Lancaster as an option.

I think Farrell maybe had too much influence then add the fact that Farrell Junior had a few issues around the team probably left the management open for some criticism. Plus they played pretty rubbish, I think Robshaw has been a very poor captain for them since he took on the role, I dont think other teams respect him and he appears to be a bit of a non-entity around the games.

deiseach

I'm looking forward to Lancaster cutting loose and saying that Chris Robshaw is the biggest fool this side of Pluto. One job, Captain Robshaw, you had one job!

Bord na Mona man

I think how well he was doing was over estimated. I reckon picking Burgess was the easy option for a coach who had few ideas about getting a backline moving. A better coach would have backed himself in packing Slade. Same goes for Farrell over Ford.

Martin Johnson won the 6N in his final year which Lancaster never managed. The stuff about throwing dwarves and jumping off ferries at the 2011 WC was way overblown. Not particularly high jinx by rugby standards, but it was handy to beat Johnson with and propagate the story that England needed drastic rehabilitation.
Lancaster was given a free pass for a couple of years because he supposedly made England like dislikeable and less arrogant. But ffs, England rugby by definition should be arrogant and dislikeable.  ;)

deiseach

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 11, 2015, 03:12:17 PM
Martin Johnson won the 6N in his final year which Lancaster never managed.

That seems to be viewed as a bad thing these days.

seafoid

Lucozade Sport could sponsor them

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 11, 2015, 03:12:17 PM

I think how well he was doing was over estimated. I reckon picking Burgess was the easy option for a coach who had few ideas about getting a backline moving. A better coach would have backed himself in packing Slade. Same goes for Farrell over Ford.

Martin Johnson won the 6N in his final year which Lancaster never managed. The stuff about throwing dwarves and jumping off ferries at the 2011 WC was way overblown. Not particularly high jinx by rugby standards, but it was handy to beat Johnson with and propagate the story that England needed drastic rehabilitation.
Lancaster was given a free pass for a couple of years because he supposedly made England like dislikeable and less arrogant. But ffs, England rugby by definition should be arrogant and dislikeable.  ;)

Different barometer's of success, he is also only one of 3 coaches to inflict a defeat on NZ in the last 4 years. Also won in Australia, beat Ireland 4 out of 5. All while building towards this World Cup, he was developing a young exciting England team. For some reason he lost his philosophies and reverted in selection to the conservative, Robshaw in hindsight was indeed a poor choice as Captain but picking a captain is not an exact science and a captain can be made foolish by players. He was runners up 4 times in the 6 nations and should delivered have delivered. To me he is a good coach for whatever reasons lost his way, give him a club side and I'd be surprised if he wasn't a success.
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

At the risk of turning rugby talk on here into a Whiff of Cordite linkathon, he nailed (while talking about New Zealand) what let Lancaster down:

QuoteOne argument that can now be canned is that winning tournaments requires something certain commentators refer to as 'cup rugby'.  For 'cup rugby', see a dull, monotonous game plan involving aerial kicking and one-out runners.  Long a bugbear of ours, it has never made sense that the sort of rugby required to beat an opponent in one form of competition would be different to that of another.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2015, 04:20:00 PM
At the risk of turning rugby talk on here into a Whiff of Cordite linkathon, he nailed (while talking about New Zealand) what let Lancaster down:

QuoteOne argument that can now be canned is that winning tournaments requires something certain commentators refer to as 'cup rugby'.  For 'cup rugby', see a dull, monotonous game plan involving aerial kicking and one-out runners.  Long a bugbear of ours, it has never made sense that the sort of rugby required to beat an opponent in one form of competition would be different to that of another.

Yep went conservative maybe he bought into this and if you look at the World Cup since 1995 this was seemingly the winning template. NZ fairly turned that on it's head.
#newbridgeornowhere

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 11, 2015, 04:25:14 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2015, 04:20:00 PM

Yep went conservative maybe he bought into this and if you look at the World Cup since 1995 this was seemingly the winning template. NZ fairly turned that on it's head.

Not before they won ugly in 2011...
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2015, 02:43:00 PM
I'm looking forward to Lancaster cutting loose and saying that Chris Robshaw is the biggest fool this side of Pluto. One job, Captain Robshaw, you had one job!

Can anyone name another England captain that was further from a Lions first XV?

Even now the Welsh and Irish back rows would be miles ahead of him.
MWWSI 2017

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: muppet on November 13, 2015, 08:36:15 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2015, 02:43:00 PM

Can anyone name another England captain that was further from a Lions first XV?
Probably Phil De Glanville. Ability is not as key for the England captain though. It's the image they project.
Nice guy Robshaw was chosen as the antithesis of all that was supposedly toxic before him. Just like De Glanville was a switch away from the boorish and obnoxious Will Carling.

Walter Cronc

Who'll get the Lions gig??

I'd near give it to Gatland again - he's probably the best equipped coach and wouldn't lack confidence/motivation.