Ulster IFC and JFC Club Championships 2015

Started by DownFanatic, September 11, 2015, 10:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 06, 2016, 04:20:59 PM
Its a bit like Man utd winning the Europa cup, dancing around  for winning at a level they should be embarrassed to play at with what they have.

Templenoe come for a parish of less than 500 people which doesn't even have a national school.

They only have 3 players eligible to play minor football at the moment and have to join up with 4 or 5 other clubs over a distance of 45km to field a team at minor.

From the Bunker

Both Mayo teams out of their dept today. Hollymount/Carra have to be commended on give it a right go. Mad to think St. Marys can have a go at winning this competition again next year. God knows they are way to strong for the intermediate grade this year.

Hard Luck to Ardnaree. Tough day at the office. But they were beaten by a Division One Kerry team. Most intermediate sides in Kerry struggled against this side last year. Well done to Templenoe who have fought against adversity to have a top club side.

It's been a great year for both sides and when the dust settles they'll appreciate their achievements.

maigheo

Would not say that Holly Carra were out of there depth today and I suspect after watching the video they will have big regrets

DownFanatic

After seeing that today I'd say Templenoe would beat most SFC sides in Down and similarly St Mary's would too. Two teams playing at a drastically higher level than their grade suggests.

tiempo

Quote from: theticklemister on February 06, 2016, 05:59:56 PM
I have seen Templenoe at first hand when they came to the mainland to play John Mitchels. I would put John Mitchels as a team who would finish top 6 in Intermediate football in Derry. Templenoe although only winning by 8, could have won by 16 if the playing surface was better. Templenoe were a huge physical team. I had a few quid on them today at -4 points, easy easy money.

What price where they?

theticklemister

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 06, 2016, 06:13:19 PM
Its a bit like Man utd winning the Europa cup, dancing around  for winning at a level they should be embarrassed to play at with what they have.

Templenoe come for a parish of less than 500 people which doesn't even have a national school.

They only have 3 players eligible to play minor football at the moment and have to join up with 4 or 5 other clubs over a distance of 45km to field a team at minor.

Quote from: Nihilisthe only way to beat them is to join them. Templenoe are currently a Division 1 side in Kerry and yes a lot of that team played divisional football at senior championship level. But that is the Kerry system

If you want to level the playing field then the same structures should be applied in Mayo and other counties.

Otherwise these mismatches will happen continuously. By   the way if you think it bothers the Templenoe lads well you can forget it. As far as they are concerned they have an All Ireland medal in their back pockets and a handy one at that.

In years to come all that will be remembered of the match is the result and a great win for Templenoe who swept all before them in their conquest of Ireland.

Fair play lads, a couple of decent posts amidst some of the nonsense, bitterness and downright ignorance over recent pages.

What a great night for St Mary's and Templenoe. 2 clubs that have come from low enough places in recent years and now both (Templenoe especially) have good immediate prospects.
Templenoe have an amazing bunch of players right now, a lot of them in a similar age bracket. They have come from Division 5 and the Novice championship (4th level of championship) to get to where they are. I remember a few years ago they were struggling badly to field a team and there was talks of amalgamation. They will give Intermediate a good rattle this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them play Senior football with this group. As twohands said, Templenoe is a real small club in a sparsely populated rural area. I know you hear this from nearly every rural team that get to games like this (sometimes despite the fact that they cover 2 villages or more!) but in Templenoe's case, it really is true. Go to google maps, scan West from Kenmare along the ring of Kerry and search for Blackwater just off the main road. That is where the Blackwater tavern and post office is. The nearest thing to a community hub for the Templenoe lads. It'll be hopping for the next week I'm sure!

Mary's were Junior up to 2010, have spent a good bit of time in Division 3 also. They're a town team but in the middle of South Kerry, that doesn't really matter. Many Cahirciveen lads play their trade on foreign shores. Stephen Curran for example was a fine Kerry U21. Won a Connacht Championship with London a few years back. They lost the 2013 Intermediate final they should have really won, had a poor year in 2014 and lost in Round 1, but to bounce back like this is something else. I will say that it's wrong that they weren't at least given the option of going Senior next year. Apart from that though, all this moaning about the Kerry structure is hilarious.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Champion The Wonder Horse

Did an auld Kerry double today. Just short of even money, but keeps me in the black for the rest of the month.

tiempo

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 06, 2016, 09:53:56 PM

Quote from: Nihilisthe only way to beat them is to join them. Templenoe are currently a Division 1 side in Kerry and yes a lot of that team played divisional football at senior championship level. But that is the Kerry system

If you want to level the playing field then the same structures should be applied in Mayo and other counties.

Otherwise these mismatches will happen continuously. By   the way if you think it bothers the Templenoe lads well you can forget it. As far as they are concerned they have an All Ireland medal in their back pockets and a handy one at that.

In years to come all that will be remembered of the match is the result and a great win for Templenoe who swept all before them in their conquest of Ireland.

Fair play lads, a couple of decent posts amidst some of the nonsense, bitterness and downright ignorance over recent pages.

What a great night for St Mary's and Templenoe. 2 clubs that have come from low enough places in recent years and now both (Templenoe especially) have good immediate prospects.
Templenoe have an amazing bunch of players right now, a lot of them in a similar age bracket. They have come from Division 5 and the Novice championship (4th level of championship) to get to where they are. I remember a few years ago they were struggling badly to field a team and there was talks of amalgamation. They will give Intermediate a good rattle this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them play Senior football with this group. As twohands said, Templenoe is a real small club in a sparsely populated rural area. I know you hear this from nearly every rural team that get to games like this (sometimes despite the fact that they cover 2 villages or more!) but in Templenoe's case, it really is true. Go to google maps, scan West from Kenmare along the ring of Kerry and search for Blackwater just off the main road. That is where the Blackwater tavern and post office is. The nearest thing to a community hub for the Templenoe lads. It'll be hopping for the next week I'm sure!

Mary's were Junior up to 2010, have spent a good bit of time in Division 3 also. They're a town team but in the middle of South Kerry, that doesn't really matter. Many Cahirciveen lads play their trade on foreign shores. Stephen Curran for example was a fine Kerry U21. Won a Connacht Championship with London a few years back. They lost the 2013 Intermediate final they should have really won, had a poor year in 2014 and lost in Round 1, but to bounce back like this is something else. I will say that it's wrong that they weren't at least given the option of going Senior next year. Apart from that though, all this moaning about the Kerry structure is hilarious.

Hid did Templenoe get on in the novice All-Ireland? Never heard of such a grade, it's gerrymandered to put teams in these competitions when they are a serious cut above

From the Bunker

In fairness the Kerry Clubs won their titles within the rules. Now the rules suit their grading system and make it more likely for the winning of Provincial and All Ireland titles. But them are the rules. From a Mayo perspective, it can be embarrassing for clubs who got to a final and get well beaten by teams of a superior standard. This is not Kerrys fault. They do what they do for their Championship system.

Today I heard talk of how superior the Kerry footballers were to the Mayo footballers. And I doubt that anyone that was saying this was telling a lie. Just in reality we were not looking at like for like. And you'd expect this from a club graded 17 playing a team graded 9. God only knows that the Junior comparison is. I understand the adversity of these Kerry clubs, But hey Mayo Clubs don't have a bed of Roses when it comes to numbers/survival.  This is not a gripe. These grades are impossible to grade properly. And there are always an exceptionally very good group of players that turn up in a club to bring it from being a average club to a top club.

tiempo

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 06, 2016, 06:39:00 PM
After seeing that today I'd say Templenoe would beat most SFC sides in Down and similarly St Mary's would too. Two teams playing at a drastically higher level than their grade suggests.

There's another thread on the board about the cost of Dublin dominance, well the cost of Kerry dominance in these competitions is getting called out about the farcical grading they have where a team can be top of div 2 league but play Junior championship. And I doubt the cute hoors will give one damn as they annex another two til it's looked at properly by Congress.

AZOffaly

Stop talking nonsense. Maybe ye are doing it wrong.

macdanger2

Agree with AZ. The option is open to any county to change their structures.

For example, Mayo have 16 clubs at senior and 16 at intermediate; I understand this is 12 in kerry? It's a simple enough thing to vote through such a change but I'd guess most clubs wouldn't want to chance dropping down a level

clarshack

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2016, 11:54:10 PM
Stop talking nonsense. Maybe ye are doing it wrong.

No, kerry are taking the piss, and its going to get worse with the restructuring of the kerry championships.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: tiempo on February 06, 2016, 10:47:11 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 06, 2016, 09:53:56 PM

Hid did Templenoe get on in the novice All-Ireland? Never heard of such a grade, it's gerrymandered to put teams in these competitions when they are a serious cut above

As I said, hilarious level of ignorance.

Novice, if you bothered your ar5e researching the Kerry system, is a level below Junior. What most counties would call Junior B.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...