Ulster IFC and JFC Club Championships 2015

Started by DownFanatic, September 11, 2015, 10:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2016, 08:59:46 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 24, 2016, 05:41:35 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 24, 2016, 05:22:14 PM
Loughinisland and Rockcorry both bate.

Interesting to note that the Mayo side in the intermediate finished second to Castlebar in Div 1 of the Mayo league. Wtf.

Both Mayo teams will be bate by Kerry Champions! If you think Mayo grading system is nuts, Kerry grading is of a high standard which means they do really well at intermediate and Junior.

I sadly expect a good beating for both in Croker.
Yeah sure Templenoe are Division 1 this season coming. Time the GAA brought in some sort of regulation across all counties in this regard.

I really can't see Croke Park having much luck forcing counties to adopt a system similar to the Kerry one.

Too many County Boards would kick up a fuss and demand to be allowed to do things their own flawed way - look at the example of Cavan where they got whatshisface to do a review of the county championship structure and he recommended that the number of senior clubs should be cut down. What did the Cavan County board do - turn around and increase the number of senior clubs.

general_lee

I wouldn't support the Kerry model at all.

A basic principle of roughly the top third of a countys clubs play senior, the middle third play intermediate and the bottom third play junior.

If a club finds itself in the top division it's clearly not a junior or intermediate standard club.

AZOffaly

The Kerry model is exactly the same as most models I know of around the country. I don't really understand yer issues with it. Ye seem to place an inordinate amount of emphasis on the Division they play in.

In every county I know of, the way you progress through the grades is by winning the one underneath, and there are relegation slot/s to relegate people to intermediate or junior, whatever. That's exactly what they do in Kerry too.

From next year on, ye actually have an argument, because the Intermediate Champions this year (St. Mary's) won't be allowed go Senior. Templenow, however, will be intermediate next year.

If you have 15 or 20 strong clubs, they can't all be senior lads.

tiempo

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 25, 2016, 11:21:27 AM
Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2016, 08:59:46 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 24, 2016, 05:41:35 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 24, 2016, 05:22:14 PM
Loughinisland and Rockcorry both bate.

Interesting to note that the Mayo side in the intermediate finished second to Castlebar in Div 1 of the Mayo league. Wtf.

Both Mayo teams will be bate by Kerry Champions! If you think Mayo grading system is nuts, Kerry grading is of a high standard which means they do really well at intermediate and Junior.

I sadly expect a good beating for both in Croker.
Yeah sure Templenoe are Division 1 this season coming. Time the GAA brought in some sort of regulation across all counties in this regard.

I really can't see Croke Park having much luck forcing counties to adopt a system similar to the Kerry one.

Too many County Boards would kick up a fuss and demand to be allowed to do things their own flawed way - look at the example of Cavan where they got whatshisface to do a review of the county championship structure and he recommended that the number of senior clubs should be cut down. What did the Cavan County board do - turn around and increase the number of senior clubs.

Brilliant

general_lee

I know AZ a lot of counties do use the same (or similar) type models but you don't get a true reflection of their ability.

If all counties just used league ranking from the year before then there could be no qualms. I know some of the Ulster counties have a system where if you play senior football league you also play senior football championship; and likewise for Inter and Junior. This would probably turn Kerry football upside down mind you so I wouldn't see much support from them.

Just think it ridiculous that a team can compete in an All Ireland Junior (and intermediate) final while playing Division 1 football in two of the strongest footballing counties in the country!

blanketattack

I wouldn't  begrudge Templenoe  a spot in the final. This is a place that is so underpopulated it has no school, no village and has to join up with 2 or 3 other  clubs to field a team underage. Up until a few years ago they were losing 90%+ of the games they played in and they've managed to turn around their fortunes  big time.

AZOffaly

I think it's just a perception of the league. Ye seem to take it way more seriously up there than most counties I'm aware of. It's probably better by the way :) But down here teams can fluctuate through the leagues a lot as well, so even if you base it off the leagues, you could have a very strong team in Junior or Inter, because they might be in a yo-yo spell on the way back up.

AZOffaly

Quote from: blanketattack on January 25, 2016, 12:47:36 PM
I wouldn't  begrudge Templenoe  a spot in the final. This is a place that is so underpopulated it has no school, no village and has to join up with 2 or 3 other  clubs to field a team underage. Up until a few years ago they were losing 90%+ of the games they played in and they've managed to turn around their fortunes  big time.

Correct. I think people overestimate these clubs.

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 12:48:27 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on January 25, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

Correct. I think people overestimate these clubs.

Sure there's international superstars down there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

general_lee

That's fair enough. I know some of the Kerry clubs are miniscule. It's the same in Armagh we have tiny clubs playing Division 1 who can't field at underage and who were Dividion 3 or 4 not too long ago. It's not the club I have any truck with its the system that allows them to continue playing in a lower championship when clearly as a club they are making strides

DownFanatic

Yet to be convinced by the Kerry system in terms of levelling.

Still can't comprehend how a team like Hollymount-Carramore can finish runners up in a senior league but yet play IFC.

AZOffaly

Because nobody cares about the league :)

There are 12 teams in most divisions in Kerry. Clubs like Laune Rangers are down near the bottom of division 2. Bally Foilmore are in Division 2 next year. They'd be very strong relatively speaking. just how far down the divisions do you think Kerry should go before they land on an intermediate team?

I think they way they do it is perfectly fair.

I think next year it isn't. They way they are trying to trim their senior clubs in the County Championship is apparently also limiting the Senior Club Championship numbers, and ergo, the Intermediate. I believe St. Mary's should not be intermediate club next year, but that's what they will be.

Chéad rogha

Whats so hard to comprehend with it? They were relegated from Senior Championship and thus started playing intermediate championship. You have to win this championship to go back up senior. They lost the intermediate final last year to Ballyhaunis and thus stayed playing at that level. It could work the other way. They could be playing division 6 in the league and playing intermediate championship. The league is not taken seriously in Mayo - some use it to develop through the ranks, some don't really give a damn about it. Add to that plenty 'starred' league games which don't have county players involved and you can progress in the league if you take it seriously.

AZOffaly

Same as that in most counties I think, to be fair. As I said, if you were to level it off in the manner ye describe, how far down would you go?