Thoughts please

Started by tyrone girl, September 10, 2015, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: tyrone girl on September 10, 2015, 02:08:33 PM
Hmm ok well i didnt particularly post this to have myself battered. I didnt think at the time, i took the child and dropped him at school. I get what you are all saying but at the end of the day who was the next person who was gonna come along the side of the road? He would have handed the child over to the next willing person. In this day and age god knows who that might be! To be honest im glad i took the child.

My point was more should i report it.

I think you should report it to the school and let them deal with it. They will work out which student it was and them and their parents can deal with the taxi firm. but im not sure if you may leave yourself open for accusations.
I wasnt battering you just saying what i thought. Its a strange situation to be in. you have the time on your phone from when the driver tried to make a call and the time you dropped the child to school safely. Unfortunately its a fcuked up world we live in nowadays, when a good samaritan has to question their good deed.

general_lee

Moral of the story. Don't come to gaaboard for advice.

You haven't actually done anything wrong.

deiseach

Quote from: tyrone girl on September 10, 2015, 02:08:33 PM
My point was more should i report it.

100% yes. The taxi driver/company need a rocket.

HiMucker

Quote from: hardstation on September 10, 2015, 03:29:08 PM
No fault lies at your feet, tyrone girl. This man was for handing the child over to a stranger and got lucky it was you (somebody who would just take the child to school). Imagine you told him no and then found out that the taxi driver had handed the child over to the next passerby and something terrible had happened. How would you feel then? Definitely report it. Bizarre situation.
+ 1.  That would be my thoughts.  Sounds foolish what she done, but driving off would be worse.  Probably should have stayed at the scene and reported it but no phone signal prob was a problem.  Also not easy just for her to cause a scene with the taxi driver.  Imagine she had have told him he was out of order and called the cops.  Bad things can happen when people fail to act, at least she acted.

mylestheslasher

I'd call the school and tell them what happened and let them tell the parents. In this day and age its hard to believe someone would put a child in a strangers car like that. I'd ring the school to cover your own arse to be honest!

brokencrossbar1

I think the reactions on here are symptomatic of what has gone wrong in society. I completely see where everyone is coming from but have we become so bad that we can't trust people any more?  Have we all become so afraid of the world?  It really is terrible and I fear for the generations after us.  The house may get bigger but so does the fence. It really is sad.

AZOffaly

muppet

Quote from: HiMucker on September 10, 2015, 03:50:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 10, 2015, 03:29:08 PM
No fault lies at your feet, tyrone girl. This man was for handing the child over to a stranger and got lucky it was you (somebody who would just take the child to school). Imagine you told him no and then found out that the taxi driver had handed the child over to the next passerby and something terrible had happened. How would you feel then? Definitely report it. Bizarre situation.
+ 1.  That would be my thoughts.  Sounds foolish what she done, but driving off would be worse.  Probably should have stayed at the scene and reported it but no phone signal prob was a problem.  Also not easy just for her to cause a scene with the taxi driver.  Imagine she had have told him he was out of order and called the cops.  Bad things can happen when people fail to act, at least she acted.

Agree with these posts.

I am glad it was you and we are reading it here, rather than it was someone less reliable and we are reading something a lot worse somewhere else. How would you feel then?

I would highly recommend telling your sister and, assuming she wants to take it further, going along with what the school suggests.

Finally, for all the talk of being stopped by the police and accusations, I think the courts would recognise a good samaritan when they saw one. If you had a long criminal record that might be a different matter.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 10, 2015, 04:27:53 PM
I think the reactions on here are symptomatic of what has gone wrong in society. I completely see where everyone is coming from but have we become so bad that we can't trust people any more?  Have we all become so afraid of the world?  It really is terrible and I fear for the generations after us.  The house may get bigger but so does the fence. It really is sad.

Yeah, totally get this.

We are now controlled by fear really as much as trust.

laoislad

Quote from: general_lee on September 10, 2015, 03:07:06 PM
Moral of the story. Don't come to gaaboard for advice.

You haven't actually done anything wrong.
Putting a 4 year old in the front seat of a car without a car seat is wrong and illegal.
What if she had an accident?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tyrone girl

Nope never seen him before. Was just a randomer and the only reason i stopped is cos i was coming out of a junction and i was going slow and had my window down and he came halfway across the road to stop me. I wouldnt have just driven on. I know it was foolish but im still glad i took him.

Orior

What worst case scenarios are you lads thinking about when she gave the kid a lift?

I'm trying to establish the risk element.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

I'm reminded of the episode of The Critic where he is reduced to getting a teaching job on a show called English for Cab Drivers. 'This week I was going to teach you: "he was already dead when I hit him"'.

omaghjoe

Ye done the right thing Tyrone girl.

It was the instinctive and luckily correct thing to do, and although ye done it without thinking the whole thing through, it was still the right thing when thoroughly thought through (sorry couldn't resist the opportunity to use those three words together!).

The slaggin your getting here is a sad reflection of the individualist society we are becoming.

Here's something to ponder tho...if I had come across the same situation at home I would do the same thing instinctively like yourself. However if I was being instinctive there is absolutely no way I would something like that here in America.

Bingo

Apologies but I keep checking back for an update and I'm expecting something along these lines:

TG rings the taxi firm and the girl on the switch is confused and says we have no driver on that run and she must be mistaken. TG insists it was that taxi firm and this was the number to ring on the taxi and after a while the owner comes on the line and describes the man that TG took the child from. Yes, says TG that's him, after a moment of silence, the owner says that was Big Dave McNulty, who was driving a child to school on that route exactly 6 years ago today but he got a tyre blowout and they both died in the accident as a result  :o  :-[

(if it was America that's exactly what would happen!)