Dublin v Kerry AI final 20th September 2015

Started by orangeman, September 05, 2015, 06:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Gaaggle on September 09, 2015, 04:42:15 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on September 09, 2015, 03:55:48 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 09, 2015, 03:45:09 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on September 09, 2015, 02:04:52 PM
slightly off track here but does anyone have the list of top scorers for SFC as of today. I know Quigley is clear at the top but not so sure he is home and dry with the final to play...
http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/2015-golden-hurl-golden-boot/

Thanks General but I seen that earlier - it hasn't been updated since early August !!!!

Here Mikhailov.  This was posted by the GPA last night.

https://twitter.com/gaelicplayers/status/641311071261847552

Surely only scores from play should count towards Golden Boot?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 10, 2015, 09:04:52 PM
slightly off track here but does anyone have the list of top scorers for SFC as of today. I know Quigley is clear at the top but not so sure he is home and dry with the final to play...

Thanks General but I seen that earlier - it hasn't been updated since early August !!!!

And definitely only ones scored in Croke Park, Blue!!

blanketattack

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2015, 09:35:08 PM

And definitely only ones scored in Croke Park, Blue!!

And only scores from play should count for MOTM awards.
Also only scores against division 1 opponents should count.

Beffs

Agreed. O'Connor is no 2 on that list, because Dublin are lazy, sloppy tacklers and they gave away far to many frees in easily scoreable positions. By all means, give out an overall award for top scorer, as there is some merit in being to kick frees consistently, but the Golden Boot should be reserved from scores from play. 

INDIANA

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 11, 2015, 11:15:35 AM
So it's done and dusted then.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/dublin-have-no-more-secrets-says-jack-oconnor-353045.html

Jacko is just bitter. Probably makes the kids at school watch the last ten minutes of the 2011 final when they are bold

I hope he gets the Kerry job again he's past his sell by date

AZOffaly

He's not Jacko. He's just Jack. Jacko is Jack O'Shea. Micko is Mick O'Dwyer. Mick O'Connell is just Mick. It's complicated down there :)

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on September 11, 2015, 11:20:07 AM

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/dublin-have-no-more-secrets-says-jack-oconnor-353045.html

Jacko is just bitter. Probably makes the kids at school watch the last ten minutes of the 2011 final when they are bold

Don't know about him being past his sell by date. He's done an unreal job with the minors, and will be U21 boss next year.

PW Nally

Quote from: INDIANA on September 10, 2015, 08:45:20 PM
Quote from: Canalman on September 10, 2015, 04:41:05 PM
Would fear for our full back line tbh. Might be changes there on a horses for courses basis with Fitzsimons to come in.

Very big game for both counties imo. Dublin on the cusp of being our greatest ever team with Kerry anxious to dispel the "soft All Ireland winners" moniker. For them losing to Dublin 3 times in a row would be downright shameful.

At least the guff of "Yerra shur we love the Dubs" won't be aired. Last 2 defeats rankle down there.

Kerry by 4 I think.

Current team has a bit to go to beat the 70's team in my opinion
70s the time you won all your All-Irelands? :-\

joemamas

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2015, 11:44:27 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 11, 2015, 11:20:07 AM

Don't know about him being past his sell by date. He's done an unreal job with the minors, and will be U21 boss next year.

AZ,

Will respectfully disagree with you regarding his efforts with Kerry Minors.

All he has done is copied the Jim McGunness template and drilled it into the heads of 17 and 18 year olds.
I saw this first hand at the semi-final V Derry. I was shocked, that Kerry where by all accounts the generate very naturally talented footballers, were now being programmed how to play Gaelic football at 17 and 18 years of age.
At times they had 12 or 13 inside their own half against a very very limited Derry team, who on the day should have beaten by 10points with a little bit of flair etc. It was that horrible and mesmerizing to watch that I turned and asked a Kerryman who was seated behind me, "are Kerry people ok with their minors playing like this" He shrugged his shoulders and said I suppose so, but sure aren't they winning.

I am going back for final next week, I have never said or done this in my life, but I will avoid the minor final.
It does not do a lot for me to watch a game at minor level, where in my mind kids should be encouraged to go out and express themselves, at the same time, making smart intelligent decisions, but are now subjected to placating the ego of a manager.
I would love to chat with some of that team off the record when they turn 19 and ask the did they enjoy playing minor football under Jack or Jacko connor.

Thank God it's Friday or I could have gone on more.

AZOffaly

Tactical football is creeping into it, no doubt about it, but it's my opinion that the Kerry minors are still the benchmark in terms of the skills of the game. Look at the beautiful, fluid kicking style you see from their players. They still played long, low ball into moving forwards, who were able to win the ball out in front and kick beautiful scores. I'm certainly not seeing them choking the life out of the game.

Rossfan

Shock! Horror! Kerry doing what it takes to win football matches :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2015, 01:49:49 PM
Tactical football is creeping into it, no doubt about it, but it's my opinion that the Kerry minors are still the benchmark in terms of the skills of the game. Look at the beautiful, fluid kicking style you see from their players. They still played long, low ball into moving forwards, who were able to win the ball out in front and kick beautiful scores. I'm certainly not seeing them choking the life out of the game.

Did you see the game by chance, they were like robots, they had half back and half forward in possession 30 -35 yards out with a clear shooting opportunity, but it was pretty apparent that they were told, you are not to shoot for a point, so they passed it around again and again and again.

Call me crazy, but I would say if they gave an honest answer, they do not like playing like that.
Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating shooting from the corner flag, but sweet Jesus, that was horrible to watch.

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on September 11, 2015, 01:54:25 PM
Shock! Horror! Kerry doing what it takes to win football matches :o

if your end game is advocating programming 16, 17 and 18 year olds. Good luck to you. Hope you are never allowed to coach.

AZOffaly

Quote from: joemamas on September 11, 2015, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2015, 01:49:49 PM

Did you see the game by chance, they were like robots, they had half back and half forward in possession 30 -35 yards out with a clear shooting opportunity, but it was pretty apparent that they were told, you are not to shoot for a point, so they passed it around again and again and again.

Call me crazy, but I would say if they gave an honest answer, they do not like playing like that.
Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating shooting from the corner flag, but sweet Jesus, that was horrible to watch.

I will watch it back again but that didnt stand out to me i have to say. In fact i saw lovely scores from wing backs centre field and forwards. I saw corner forwards getting the ball from a long pass and languidly kicking it over the bar.

I think they still teach the skills fairly well.