Author Topic: Building a house  (Read 61600 times)

giveherlong

• View Profile
Re: Building a house
« Reply #570 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
Anybody using the help to buy ISA?
What way do you go about claiming your bonus with a self build mortgage?

gander

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
Anyone have any recent dealings with NIE on domestic electricty connections for new house ?
I'm about 230 metres from the nearest pole. The estimate on their website says I could be looking at 13,500 for a connection :(
It's just a straightforward couple of poles across a field, no road crossings
If anyone has got quotes from them let me know how much
Thanks

I've just got mine done and it was about 4000, thats an underground cable about 75metres away.  If you need a transformer itll cost more

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 09, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
Anyone have any recent dealings with NIE on domestic electricty connections for new house ?
I'm about 230 metres from the nearest pole. The estimate on their website says I could be looking at 13,500 for a connection :(
Thanks

I've just got mine done and it was about 4000, thats an underground cable about 75metres away.  If you need a transformer itll cost more

Transformer is the big thing.  It's pot luck as if your the house that tips the balance in area and a bigger one is needed you pay the lot.  Likewise if your neighbour was the one who had to pay for the upgrade you might get lucky.  Either way make sure you do as much of the excavation and reinstatement yourself in terms of trenches etc. 

johnneycool

• who loves ya baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 09, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
Thanks

I'd be inclined to speak to the farmer or whoever owns the ground as the underground cable may be the best bet to keep the costs down.

A farmer certainly won't want poles bang slap in the middle of a field.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 16, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
Based in NI, we have an invoice from a southern company with 23% VAT while building a house. Can you claim VAT back on a southern invoice for materials in the north?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
Based in NI, we have an invoice from a southern company with 23% VAT while building a house. Can you claim VAT back on a southern invoice for materials in the north?

https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/tax-issues-when-trading-republic-ireland
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Nailer

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
If you have someone working on your property that has a uk vat no and they were going to use the materials, you could give their vat no  to the co in the south and they would supply the materials vat free and you wouldn't have to reclaim the vat as you wouldn't gave paid it. The southern co sometimes ask for a letterhead with the vat no.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 17, 2017, 12:18:07 AM »
If you have someone working on your property that has a uk vat no and they were going to use the materials, you could give their vat no  to the co in the south and they would supply the materials vat free and you wouldn't have to reclaim the vat as you wouldn't gave paid it. The southern co sometimes ask for a letterhead with the vat no.

Just as well you are doing it now, Teresa May will be charging you duty in a few months.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B