AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Glensman on September 08, 2015, 02:31:41 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 07, 2015, 10:06:40 PM

Unfortunately not. Not that I care. Just let all belonging to him down.

All that stuff eventually gets out.

What was said in general terms?
Don't think a public forum is the place for this. As moy said, you'll hear about it sometime.

Jinxy

The problem is moy, we've heard this before about previous 'incidents' which have turned out to have no basis in fact.
I'm thinking specifically about the scurrilous allegations made against Martin O'Connell after the final in '96.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whitey

Quote from: ballinaman on September 08, 2015, 02:34:32 PM
Quote from: Glensman on September 08, 2015, 02:31:41 PM

What was said in general terms?
Don't think a public forum is the place for this. As moy said, you'll hear about it sometime.

I have come to the conclusion that how you comport yourself in life, in work and in sport has a funny way of coming full circle for you. Its a long road that doesn't turn!

The Aristocrat

If Mayo had Jim Mcgunness or Jack o Connor over the last 5-6 years they would probably have 1 all Ireland in my opinion. A lot of games lost on the line.

Tubberman

Full of concern and compassion for Mayo this week....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayoman dan

Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 08, 2015, 06:01:17 PM
If Mayo had Jim Mcgunness or Jack o Connor over the last 5-6 years they would probably have 1 all Ireland in my opinion. A lot of games lost on the line.

Your probably right.Lions led by lambs

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on September 08, 2015, 10:33:33 AM
Unless there's a major upset in Leinster or Munster next year, Mayo can get to the All Ireland final without having to face Kerry or Dublin. Then one big performance as underdogs and Sam 2016 is their's !

Anyone who thinks Mayo are not capable of beating Dublin and/or Kerry are deluded. Tiny margins this year and last year. Only thing for it is to keep going.

When was the last time Mayo won the league? Going all out to win it next year might be a good idea.

They need another forward. No team has won the AI recently without two  crack scoring forwards . Diarmuid O Connor looks a much better player then his brother and if they could find another one of him it could be the balance. Cillian needs to lose the hard man image- he's no good at it and it's affecting his game.

Other things that need to be said too. Keith Higgins is done in the full back line. Releasing him to centre back could be huge.

Chris Barrett and Cafferky coped very well in the full back line.

Half back line isn't a problem. Neither is midfield

They have the O Connors and Doherty who can kick scores but they need another one in the DOC mould.

Patrick Durcan looks a good player.

Where Aidan O Se's best position is - is beyond me. I remember Zulu saying 5/6 years ago saying he wouldn't make the grade at this level because he has no pace. And he may well be proven right on that. It's very hard to operate now without it. I still think it's FF or nothing.

Someone like Fenton/Moran at midfield would just run the legs off him further out the pitch. They are probably one scoring forward and a tactical tweak away from winning it. Problem is those are hard decisions and Mayo have never had a manager who has been prepared to take the flak that goes with putting your arse in the bacon slicer.

ballinaman

Maroon Manc

I've always felt Mayo were at least another good forward away from winning an All Ireland although last year they had enough quality to have beaten Kerry then Donegal in the final. I've not watched the game but did think there was plenty of space in that Dublin back line but Mayo didn't have the forwards to punish them.

I've seen a few of the Mayo posters state that they have the players to replicate what JMcG did with Donegal in 2012, I still think their one forward short of been able to do that.

moysider

There is no way that this management team will be pushed or anything. But they need to be honest with themselves and step aside if they don t think they are the best for this team in the short term. The last 2 games would suggest they haven t got it when it comes to the rarefied atmosphere close to the summit.

I think we ve got a manager and a motivator but no coach/tactician. Or at least not one able to make a mark at this level even with a top panel. I would also question some of their selections when they needed to make decisions. e.g. The decision to start an obviously uncomfortable Vaughan was very costly on the scoreboard.
The decision to start Barry Moran left us lightweight at the end, even if they could not foresee Seamie being lined. Still starting all our big men was iffy.
Most people would agree that Boyle did not do well as sweeper the first day, yet........
Keith should have been moved out long ago.
I was surprised if they went with Hennelly if Clarke was fit for replay. Clarke was obviously their first choice before he got injured v Donegal - and understandably so.

I don t think joint managers is the way to go anyway. And deep down these 2 cant feel great about how things went v Dubs if they are honest.

I can t see them do better next time either. You just can t flick a switch and change your ways and your football philosophy. Neither has any coaching pedigree either and there won t be any change there either.

NetNitrate

Great game and credit to both teams. I think Mayo's big problem no less than their predictable forward play is that nearly all their best and key players don't have the legs for a fast game. They were done with 20 mins left whereas Dublin have molded a team of very athletic players. Kerry do have the players to live with them.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on September 08, 2015, 02:45:46 PM

The problem is moy, we've heard this before about previous 'incidents' which have turned out to have no basis in fact.
I'm thinking specifically about the scurrilous allegations made against Martin O'Connell after the final in '96.

I honestly have no recollection of allegations against O' Connell.

moysider

Quote from: NetNitrate on September 08, 2015, 10:59:49 PM
Great game and credit to both teams. I think Mayo's big problem no less than their predictable forward play is that nearly all their best and key players don't have the legs for a fast game. They were done with 20 mins left whereas Dublin have molded a team of very athletic players. Kerry do have the players to live with them.

Maybe, but not because they are more athletic. Kerry are a better bet than Mayo because they will have their homework done better and arrive with a better game plan. As a result they will play with more composure and conviction.

People have being down on COC but he is 70% fit at best (hasn t been able to train properly all year and pace wouldn t be his forte anyway) and nursed from game to game. He needs a break to get himself right.
His brother is a completely different type of player so like comparing chalk with cheese.
Kevin McLoughlin is well off his match fitness as well. When he is right, few players move as well as he can. They are human. Look at Paul Flynn as well. Playing below par for some reason but nobody questioning his quality, nor should we.

But niggles and long-term debilitating conditions are stuff that all sports people live with and play with. All those things don t become public for obvious reasons. Often fans have no idea what's going on and why a player might appear to be struggling a bit and off form.

muppet

I really don't get lads having a dig at Cillian all the time.

He scored 2-15 in the two games. I think he was 100% for his frees. And that is half fit. He is always rushed back from injury - remember the two dislocated shoulders? He is always man marked by the best defender on the other side. WTF more can the lad do?
MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2015, 01:24:38 PM
I really don't get lads having a dig at Cillian all the time.

He scored 2-15 in the two games. I think he was 100% for his frees. And that is half fit. He is always rushed back from injury - remember the two dislocated shoulders? He is always man marked by the best defender on the other side. WTF more can the lad do?
Over the two games, it was a majestic display of freetaking.