AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

At this stage I'm sick to death of appeals and disciplinary issues dominating the conversation. Diarmuid is a huge loss no doubt but lets just get on with it at this stage and see if we can win playing our own game. Rather die with the boots on as they say. To my mind its an era defining match for both teams as the losers will have underachieved for the talent that's been at their disposal over the last 5 years though at least Dublin can say they've won 2 AI.

Given the match last week and the track record over the last few years I still feel Dublin have enough to win it but only if we concentrate on our game.

Enjoy the game.

The Hill is Blue

Paddy Power still has us as favourites so someone thinks we'll win.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

AZOffaly

Quote from: Declan on September 04, 2015, 10:08:54 AM
At this stage I'm sick to death of appeals and disciplinary issues dominating the conversation. Diarmuid is a huge loss no doubt but lets just get on with it at this stage and see if we can win playing our own game. Rather die with the boots on as they say. To my mind its an era defining match for both teams as the losers will have underachieved for the talent that's been at their disposal over the last 5 years though at least Dublin can say they've won 2 AI.

Given the match last week and the track record over the last few years I still feel Dublin have enough to win it but only if we concentrate on our game.

Enjoy the game.

Get out of here with that sensible talk!

Hound

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 04, 2015, 10:07:20 AM
Quote from: blast05 on September 04, 2015, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 04, 2015, 05:11:42 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 03, 2015, 08:07:42 PM
Watch the slow motion video.

http://soberpaddy.com/should-dermot-connolly-have-been-sent-off/
Sober paddy would want to go back on the beer

"Power down" .... a new entry into the Oxford thesaurus for a punch !!
It's already in the North Korean version.
The only mention of 'strike' being in reference to Cillian O'Connor's vicious attack on Connolly.
Do you think there was a significant difference in force between O'Connor's punch and Connolly's punch? They were both fairly mild taps, but technical strikes and technical red cards. However, had the ref the benefit of seeing the full incident replayed a couple of times from different angles, I'd guess he would have given yellow to both and probably black to Keegan.

But once the red is awarded, it can't be over-turned as it was strictly correct, unless there was some technical feck up, which didnt happen this time. 

The CCCC probably should have said, sorry we messed up re Keane, he shouldn't have been downgraded, and we won't make that mistake again.

Canalman

Sorted now. Feel sorryish for DC. Harsh dismissal.
A tough lesson for him to learn.

We're in big trouble now. Misfiring all over the pitch. A resurgent and cocky Mayo outfit out for blood.
To say the least, the Mayo boys at the club last night were confident of victory. Think they are right.

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on September 04, 2015, 09:52:30 AM
QuoteSo I think we'll allow Mayo go short again, although presumably Mayo will be pushing up on Dublin kickouts and encouraging Cluxton to go long

Maybe at the start of each half.

I can't understand why ye leave Bastick on the bench. He will start the next day ahead of MDMCA or Fenton?
Bastick hasn't got 70 minutes in him. I'm not sure he even has 50 minutes.

There was a great example v Monaghan in the league semi. Brilliant in the first half, and didnt get a kick in the 2nd. 

Although Macauley has missed a good chunk of the season so I'm not sure he was 70 minutes at the intensity of this game in him either. Started ok last week but faded badly in the 2nd half, so its maybe 6 of one...

From the Bunker

Quote from: Canalman on September 04, 2015, 10:38:23 AM
Sorted now. Feel sorryish for DC. Harsh dismissal.
A tough lesson for him to learn.

We're in big trouble now. Misfiring all over the pitch. A resurgent and cocky Mayo outfit out for blood.
To say the least, the Mayo boys at the club last night were confident of victory. Think they are right.

Ah, there are a few more twists and turns to this saga. From 50 minutes on tomorrow players will be out on their legs. The subs bench will be very important. Decision making of the tired mind will get harder. Spaces will open up. A player like McManamon coming on could cause havoc. I have to say that the distraction of the DC appeal won't have helped Dublin. I know last year we had the same sh1te with Keegan. Although he got off he had a stinker and I'm sure it affected preparation. With the short run in into this game Connolly's appeal should have been done and dusted on Monday morning. Any appeal on that dealt with that evening. And what ever the outcome, so be it and allow Dublin to get on with focusing on the game. Dragging it out all week only pisses of everyone (weather he won or lost the appeal). Usually when a key figure like Connolly is out of a game, this can often free up a player to step into his boot and do the business.

Declan

Think we can sneak him on without anyone noticing?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hound on September 04, 2015, 10:26:30 AM
Do you think there was a significant difference in force between O'Connor's punch and Connolly's punch? They were both fairly mild taps, but technical strikes and technical red cards. However, had the ref the benefit of seeing the full incident replayed a couple of times from different angles, I'd guess he would have given yellow to both and probably black to Keegan.

But once the red is awarded, it can't be over-turned as it was strictly correct, unless there was some technical feck up, which didnt happen this time. 

The CCCC probably should have said, sorry we messed up re Keane, he shouldn't have been downgraded, and we won't make that mistake again.
O'Connor's looked to be a slap of the 'hey get off him' variety. If he closed his fist for it, it was unwise, but hardly forceful.
Connolly's delivered a downward punch at a player on the ground, whatever about the force, it looks much uglier and was a huge escalation in what was a silly handbags situation up to then. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 04, 2015, 10:21:49 AM

Ye have to be favourites. On top of having the pedigree to win two AI's in the last 4 years, ye are also playing at home in front of a large following. Huge advantage. Not ye're fault. There is no where else on this Island the play the game. No sane bookie can look beyond those issues.

yellowcard

All the money Dublin have and they couldn't even afford a decent legal team to get the ban overturned.

The Aristocrat

A lost cause now, hard enough to compete against the 16 men of the mighty Mayo but without the second best player in the country after Superman , Mayo 3-14 Dublin 1-09.

Enjoy the match lads.

imtommygunn

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 04, 2015, 10:21:49 AM

When are Dublin not favourites with the bookies though?