AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2015, 12:22:34 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2015, 12:08:23 PM
How many stitches did he get again?

Have you broken an hour for the 5k yet ?
Down to 22mins now INDIANA thanks for asking.
Did you ever use some of yer dole money to sponsor me for the Marathon?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

Quote from: blanketattack on September 01, 2015, 12:20:20 PM
Why don't Mayo just go out all guns blazing from an attacking point of view instead of being so cautious?
Last year when they went gung-ho v Kerry they turned a 5 point deficit to a 5 point lead with 14 men, and made up a 7 pt deficit v Dublin doing the same.

They tried that against Dublin in 2013, and withered like old men in the 2nd half. The first 20-25 mins of that game were as frantic as anything I've seen.

Problem they have is that if early all-out attack doesn't build up the necessary advantage, and Higgins, Boyle, Keegan and O'Loughlin blow up, then the replacements are a huge drop in quality.

INDIANA

Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2015, 12:25:28 PM

No I was going to sponsor some of the 60 year olds I know who can run faster then you

In terms of return on investment I'm getting more bang for my buck

Keep the running updates coming though it's always good for a laugh on a Monday morning

laoislad

Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2015, 12:40:05 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2015, 12:25:28 PM

No I was going to sponsor some of the 60 year olds I know who can run faster then you

In terms of return on investment I'm getting more bang for my buck

Keep the running updates coming though it's always good for a laugh on a Monday morning
Will do.
You seem very tense and wound up.Maybe you should get out of your bedsit and go for a run youself.
Does wonders for ones state of mind.
You can thank me later.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

macdanger2

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2015, 01:48:35 PM
Will O'Carroll be back for this match??

How would he be? FFS COC took the head off the poor bastard with a forearm smash Conor McGregor would have been proud of.

I'd assume so, glass man must surely be able to recover in a week
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

yellowcard

It depends what part of his eye the wound is. The stitches will likely be due to come out around 5-7 days after the incident so the wound will be extremely tender. Therefore he will require some form of dressing to enable him to play which may affect his vision. I'd say he is very doubtful myself and even if he plays he won't be in top condition.

blanketattack

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2015, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on September 01, 2015, 12:20:20 PM
Why don't Mayo just go out all guns blazing from an attacking point of view instead of being so cautious?
Last year when they went gung-ho v Kerry they turned a 5 point deficit to a 5 point lead with 14 men, and made up a 7 pt deficit v Dublin doing the same.

They tried that against Dublin in 2013, and withered like old men in the 2nd half. The first 20-25 mins of that game were as frantic as anything I've seen.

Problem they have is that if early all-out attack doesn't build up the necessary advantage, and Higgins, Boyle, Keegan and O'Loughlin blow up, then the replacements are a huge drop in quality.

Ok, but they should do it for certain periods e.g. last 15 min before half time.
Also they should have done a basketball style attack the last day near the end. They were essentially playing v 13 with Alan Brogan dead man walking, so they should gave passed around until time was nearly up and then engineer space for a final shot. It means the whistle goes after the shot regardless of success or not. Should have been very achievable with 2 exta men.

deiseach

Quote from: blanketattack on September 01, 2015, 02:23:11 PM
Also they should have done a basketball style attack the last day near the end. They were essentially playing v 13 with Alan Brogan dead man walking, so they should gave passed around until time was nearly up and then engineer space for a final shot. It means the whistle goes after the shot regardless of success or not. Should have been very achievable with 2 exta men.

I'm surprised we don't see more of that in football. You can see it a bit more in rugby union where teams grind their way into position and spurn chances because they know there's more time left on the clock, but it's still not as common as you might expect. Given that it is very common in rugby league, where the one point score for a drop goal is pretty much designed with a tied game in mind, I'd guess (based on no evidence whatsoever) that we haven't had set amounts for added time for long enough in either football or rugby union for it to become A Thing. The manager that pulls it off in football is going to be hailed as the greatest strategist since Hannibal - and the one who gets caught on the counter attack will be Paullus/Varro.

J70

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2015, 12:09:18 PM
Yeah, I feel we have a slight advantage after yesterday's game although I felt the same after last years SF as well so......

You have to expect our forwards can't be as bad again, some of the wides we kicked yesterday were criminal. The fact that we finished stronger yesterday should stand to us although there are going to be tired legs all round with just a 6-day turnaround.

Doc and McLoughlin in particular need to play better the next day, we need a couple of points each from both of them if we're to win

Your forwards were just as bad against us in the 1/4 final when under little pressure.

The Aristocrat

Lads, lets not turn this thread into a nasty anti-Dublin thread, the other one is still open.

O Carroll will be back and he's looking forward to it and to see his good friend Cillian "sly" O Connor.

Ballaghman

Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2015, 03:39:19 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2015, 12:09:18 PM
Yeah, I feel we have a slight advantage after yesterday's game although I felt the same after last years SF as well so......

You have to expect our forwards can't be as bad again, some of the wides we kicked yesterday were criminal. The fact that we finished stronger yesterday should stand to us although there are going to be tired legs all round with just a 6-day turnaround.

Doc and McLoughlin in particular need to play better the next day, we need a couple of points each from both of them if we're to win

Your forwards were just as bad against us in the 1/4 final when under little pressure.
Wrong. Doherty scored 3 points from play and McLoughlin 2 (i think). Some horrible misses in second half against Donegal (under no pressure) yes but nowhere near as bad as the last day. If those 2 lads and Cillian don't improve their shooting the next day we will fall short again. I'm expecting a big improvement in that area.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 01, 2015, 02:09:36 PM

How would he be? FFS COC took the head off the poor b**tard with a forearm smash Conor McGregor would have been proud of.

I'd assume so, glass man must surely be able to recover in a week

Did you see the thump that O'Carroll got? It was shown on the Sunday Game. Cillian O'Connor swung his arm back with force as was clear from the way O'Carroll's head went back. Without a doubt that was a red card offence. And no amount of soft-soaping will make it otherwise.

As for Keegan and Connolly the video clip shown on the Sunday Game clearly shows that the first assault was made by Keegan when he to checked Connolly's run. That started a scuffle during which Keegan head locked Connolly and they both fell to the ground. While on the ground Keegan continued to hold Connolly in the headlock.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Il Bomber Destro

O'Connor's discipline would have to be questioned in big games, sent off in last year's replay with Kerry and should also have seen the line against Donegal in 2012 after throwing two digs at Thompson and McGee.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 01, 2015, 03:56:58 PM
O'Connor's discipline would have to be questioned in big games, sent off in last year's replay with Kerry and should also have seen the line against Donegal in 2012 after throwing two digs at Thompson and McGee.

Very true, worse offender than Philly and Connolly, the refs will have to keep a close eye on him.