Stereotypes

Started by AZOffaly, August 28, 2015, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

As i was posting on another thread, I had a thought. What are each county known as/stereotyped as? Obviously in some cases there's substance behind the stereotype but a lot of times it's lazy analysis.
How many of these are still accurate, or never were? Are there others?
Here we go for Football.

Leinster
Louth - Dangerous because you never know anything about them. In fact they are not too sure themselves.
Meath - Never beaten/ Teak Tough
Dublin - Shapers/Great with their tails up/Will fall apart under pressure/Physically super fit
Wicklow - Dirty/Hard to beat at home
Wexford - Hardy, but not real footballers/Hard to beat at home
Laois - Infighting, not as good as they think they are, ill disciplined.
Kildare - Not natural footballers, no forwards, robots, Big.
Westmeath - Flashy but fragile
Offaly - Lazy, Capable of a one off shock but not a threat to serious teams
Longford - Hard to beat at home, produce the odd top footballer lost amid a sea of mediocrity
Carlow - No interest in the county team, Happy to give Laois or Kildare a fright. Oblivious to everyone else.

Connacht

Mayo - No forwards, Mentally weak
Galway - Skillful natural players, couldn't be bothered half the time
Sligo - Honest, Limited but capable of a shock. Dangerous
Roscommon - Cocky with limited evidence to support it, produce good players but fail to produce the return they should
Leitrim - Pairc Sean is a tricky draw

Munster

Kerry - All natural players, do nothing else down there, All Irelands medals are found in change,
Cork - Strong and powerful, well able for Kerry, never fulfill their potential, always seen as below the hurlers in their own county
Waterford - A couple of strong enough pockets, dangerous in the club championship
Clare - All Wesht Clare, Stoney, hardship type footballers. Would love to be able to hurl.
Tipperary - A coming team, good at underage, will always play second fiddle to the hurling and won't make the breakthrough because of that
Limerick - All the football is based along the Kerry border, hard luck stories, being left behind by 'the hurling crowd'

Ulster

Donegal - Were flashy, now the opposite, soul destroyers, disciples of Jimmy and his prophet Rory, negative, destroying Michael Murphy
Derry - Underachievers since 1993, selfish, moody players
Tyrone - Ermmmm
Fermanagh - Fighting against the odds, brave wee lads, but don't take it too seriously
Armagh - Ultra serious, humourless. Robots. I must break you.
Down - The Aristocrats, Kerry of the North, without the titles or consistency or ruthlessness.
Antrim - Infighting, crazy county board, more interested in Club than county teams.
Cavan - Old school, left in the past, Larry Reilly
Monaghan - Glass ceiling, love playing in Ulster, hate anywhere else, tough boyos, but not that cute yet.

muppet

Is this the negative stereotype only thread?

Did you stumble upon the Brolly/Spillane Sunday Game briefing notes?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Yeah, it's sort of the unfair stereotypes or unmerited stereotype thread :) But this is what I'm talking about. Ask the average lad about Mayo, and he'll definitely say something stereotypical along those lines.

supersarsfields

Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2015, 03:54:24 PM

Sure it must be. That's why he struggled to get a Tyrone one.

AZOffaly

I didn't struggle, I just couldn't decide which 15 would be most commonly used :)

muppet

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 28, 2015, 04:00:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2015, 03:54:24 PM

Sure it must be. That's why he struggled to get a Tyrone one.

I think that was the bait!

I am sure a few lads will be able to fill in the Tyrone slot.......
MWWSI 2017

supersarsfields

Typical Bias against Tyrone. We don't even get a negative stereotype.

AZOffaly

Jinxy

They're pretty accurate to be fair.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

deiseach

Wicklow - tight pitch, even when people have no clue about the dimensions of the pitch.

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2015, 03:57:55 PM
Yeah, it's sort of the unfair stereotypes or unmerited stereotype thread :) But this is what I'm talking about. Ask the average lad about Mayo, and he'll definitely say something stereotypical along those lines.

Undestandable when you think about it ................

Most lads - never mind the average lad - know nathin about football. Or anything else for that matter.

INDIANA

Quote from: deiseach on August 28, 2015, 04:32:56 PM
Wicklow - tight pitch, even when people have no clue about the dimensions of the pitch.

Aughrim is still the coldest most miserable pitch I ever played on. The wind coming off the mountains would make a polar bear take cover.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2015, 04:32:16 PM
They're pretty accurate to be fair.

All..... apart from Meath

omaghjoe

armaghniac

Leitrim - Páirc Seán  is a tricky draw, unless in the qualifiers

Antrim - Infighting, crazy county board, more interested in infighting than  teams.
Armagh - Ultra serious, humourless. Robots, not into rapid movement.
Down - The Aristocrats, Galway of the North, without the consistency or talent

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B