Jimmy Keaveney and Jimmy Barry Murphy

Started by The Hill is Blue, August 27, 2015, 12:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Great to see these two legends included in the GAA Hall of Fame in the Croke Park Museum. I had the pleasure of seeing both of these men playing on many occasions. For me Jimmy Keaveney was the most important player on one of Dublin's greatest teams. It's probably not generally known but Jimmy Keaveney was also a very accomplished hurler.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 27, 2015, 12:17:13 PM
Great to see these two legends included in the GAA Hall of Fame in the Croke Park Museum. I had the pleasure of seeing both of these men playing on many occasions. For me Jimmy Keaveney was the most important player on one of Dublin's greatest teams. It's probably not generally known but Jimmy Keaveney was also a very accomplished hurler.

Yeah, I noticed that he seemed to lament (Surprisingly) in yesterdays interview the loss of up to 6 hurlers to the football team. Including his fellow clubman Diarmuid Connolly who he claims to be a fine hurler!

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 27, 2015, 01:43:34 PM

Yeah, I noticed that he seemed to lament (Surprisingly) in yesterdays interview the loss of up to 6 hurlers to the football team. Including his fellow clubman Diarmuid Connolly who he claims to be a fine hurler!

Diarmuid doesn't claim to be a good hurler. He is a very good hurler and regularly trains and plays with our senior side during the year . A real clubman .

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on August 27, 2015, 01:49:50 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 27, 2015, 01:43:34 PM

Diarmuid doesn't claim to be a good hurler. He is a very good hurler and regularly trains and plays with our senior side during the year . A real clubman .

Jimmy claims Diarmuid is a good hurler.

Did he not play underage for Dublin? I thought he was one of those who made a choice for the football?

easytiger95

Connolly played regularly with Dublin hurlers up until u-21 didn't he, at centreforward? Saw him a couple of times, once against offaly in Parnell Park, can't remember the year, he was the real deal alright. That was the same team that had the two O'Carrolls on it as well ( I think, my memory may be going as well)

Hardy

My late brother-in-law was a Dub and worked with Jimmy Keaveny. He had no interest in football, but Jimmy knew he had a gang of Meath brothers-in-law.

The B-I-L told me often that a typical Monday morning in work after a Meath-Dublin match would start with slagging of Jimmy by Dub and Culchie alike. If they'd won, they were lucky; if they'd lost they were crap. Jimmy would rise to all bait and the going would be hot and heavy.

When things calmed down, Jimmy would seek out the B-I-L. "Well, what did the lads think?" "They said yiz were awful lucky, Jimmy". And Jimmy would say, "Aw they were dead right. We were waxed," etc. etc. And if someone came by and said again, "Yiz were lucky yesterday, Jimmy", he'd be off again. "Lucky me arse ..."

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Dublinese for extremely lucky. They also use "poxed".

The Hill is Blue

I remember being at a match in Birr (it must have been an O'Byrne Cup game) during the 70s. At half time Jimmy spotted some mates at the front of the (small) crowd. He walked over to them and started chatting and almost immediately accepted a cigarette from one of them. He spent most of half time leaning on the low boundary wall smoking and chatting.

It wouldn't happen today what with lifestyle coaches, personal trainers, etc.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Canalman

Diarmuid was a very good hurler underage. Will never know if he could have made it at senior level as he rightly chose the football.

Imo again, two of our best underage hurlers in the last number of years will probably be warming the bench on Sunday, if they even make the bench. Very frustrating.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hardy on August 27, 2015, 08:12:12 PM
My late brother-in-law was a Dub and worked with Jimmy Keaveny. He had no interest in football, but Jimmy knew he had a gang of Meath brothers-in-law.

The B-I-L told me often that a typical Monday morning in work after a Meath-Dublin match would start with slagging of Jimmy by Dub and Culchie alike. If they'd won, they were lucky; if they'd lost they were crap. Jimmy would rise to all bait and the going would be hot and heavy.

When things calmed down, Jimmy would seek out the B-I-L. "Well, what did the lads think?" "They said yiz were awful lucky, Jimmy". And Jimmy would say, "Aw they were dead right. We were waxed," etc. etc. And if someone came by and said again, "Yiz were lucky yesterday, Jimmy", he'd be off again. "Lucky me arse ..."

He's a good skin Hardy . Most naturally talented player I ever played with . Deceptively fast, low centre of gravity and deadly accurate .