Is Stormont going to fall?

Started by Denn Forever, August 21, 2015, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

It is time that SF and the SDLP opt out of Stormont or is the money too good? Unionists don't want to share anything with their nationalist neighbours, Arlene on GMU this morning was lamenting the loss of our Police force the RUC...sums them up our country means a loyalist protestant Ulster in the minds of many Unionist politicians.

Rossfan

I'm sure most Unionists (capital U) would love to turn the clock back to 1967.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34026678

Mr Hamilton said that "some of the Provisional IRA structure from the 1990s remains broadly in place" but its purpose "has radically changed since this period".
The police assessment, he said, is that the Provisional IRA remains committed to politics and is not engaged in terrorism.

That was the assessment of the PSNI, which apparently the decision to walk (UUP) probably try to exclude SF (DUP) is based on. The DUP has had its hand forced by the actions of the UUP - it can't be seen to carry on as normal when they have walked out; but if any of the other parties support measures proposed by the DUP then they really will be cowards. Bring down Stormont if you want, but don't try to portray the IRA as still being involved in terrorism as your reason for doing so, especially when you purport to have based such a decision on a statement by the PSNI chief, in which he states the opposite!

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2015, 10:54:17 AM
I'm sure most Unionists (capital U) would love to turn the clock back to 1967.

1967 isn't available, the danger is that they will turn the clock back to 1976.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OakleafCounty

I was present during a conversation the other day which included an Ulster Unionist councillor. He reckon there will be a small period of direct rule and an early election. A short period of direct rule will allow welfare reform and maybe water charges to be introduced and everyone can blame the tories making the devolved institutions suddenly more appealing again.

Applesisapples

Unionism doesn't want to treat those of us with an Irish Identity as equals. None of the symbols of this state recognise that almost as many of us identity as Irish as identify as British. Unionism will never concede this willingly.

armaghniac

I see the University of Ulster is scaling back its language and maths courses owing to less money. It is a measure of the planning for the future that the cutbacks are in the very disciplines that economic reports call for more graduate competence in. I'm sure there will thorough discussion at Stormont on these important matters.

naka

Quote from: armaghniac on September 02, 2015, 07:08:32 PM
I see the University of Ulster is scaling back its language and maths courses owing to less money. It is a measure of the planning for the future that the cutbacks are in the very disciplines that economic reports call for more graduate competence in. I'm sure there will thorough discussion at Stormont on these important matters.
::)

flegs etc are more important to the numpties in Stormont
I think we should cut their wages

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: naka on September 02, 2015, 07:37:52 PM

Shut the place down and turn it into accommodation for those fleeing Syria, Iraq etc. Least it would be serving some useful function.

armaghniac

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on September 02, 2015, 11:35:37 PM
Quote from: naka on September 02, 2015, 07:37:52 PM

Shut the place down and turn it into accommodation for those fleeing Syria, Iraq etc. Least it would be serving some useful function.

perhaps you could have both sides from Syria, and they could bring their flegs and whatnot

Applesisapples

If you want a vision of what life under Unionist majority rule would look like just keep an eye on the Causeway Coast and Glens council it is fast becoming the new Craigavon Borough Council.

Pub Bore

Bobby Storey arrested over Kevin McGuigan murder.

Denn Forever

Will the arrest of Bobby Storey mean anything or is it just a Trawl of people to show something is being done?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34196151
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Pub Bore

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 09, 2015, 10:43:32 AM
Will the arrest of Bobby Storey mean anything or is it just a Trawl of people to show something is being done?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34196151

Eddie Copeland and Brian Gillen scooped too.  Round up of the usual suspects??

Applesisapples

There is no doubt that people within SF are still also in or connected to the IRA. SF need to ensure that these people choose one or t'other otherwise Unionists will continue to throw it in their faces. I think it is time both the SDLP and SF left Stormont. They gave it a shot but the fact remains that Unionists are not prepared to accommodate anything other than Unionist rule. They are not prepared to grant any sort of equality within the Northern State to those of us who consider ourselves Irish. It will eventually be the undoing of that same state as Unionist hardliners repeat the mistakes of the past. Truth is may nationalists my self included would be happy within the UK if we had any sort of recognition officially of Irish Flags and Emblems and an enhanced Island identity.