Is Stormont going to fall?

Started by Denn Forever, August 21, 2015, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Mike Nesbitt's position is hilarious.

He doesn't trust what SF say. But he wont move forward until he hears them say something.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Pub Bore

It's all going to go tits up

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/het-wanted-to-question-martin-mcguinness-over-enniskillen-bombing-but-were-halted-by-nio-its-been-claimed-31513668.html

A cold-case police team wanted to question Martin McGuinness over the Enniskillen bombing - but was prevented from doing so by the Northern Ireland Office, it was claimed today.  The astonishing allegation came during a meeting of the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee at Westminster.  Twelve people died when an IRA bomb exploded on Remembrance Sunday in 1987.  Kenny Donaldson, a victims campaigner in the Fermanagh area, said he had been told by a senior investigator with the now-defunct Historical Enquiries Team that investigators wanted to question Mr McGuinness about the atrocity.  However, he told MPs that the NIO had advised that it "would not be a good idea".  Mr Donaldson said he was told nothing more came of the matter.  "We have been advised by a senior former HET investigator that he had cause to wish to bring in the Deputy First Minister for questioning in regards to that atrocity," Mr Donaldson said.  "He was prevented from doing so. The NIO advised that that would not be a good idea, and it didn't happen."

Eleven people were killed and 63 others were injured when the no warning bomb ripped through the Co Fermanagh town on November 8, 1987.  A 12th victim school principal, Ronnie Hill, spent 13 years in a coma and died in 2000.  No one has ever been convicted in connection with the massacre, among the worst of the Troubles.  In 2013 First Minister Peter Robinson said the PSNI "should be talking" to Mr McGuinness if there was evidence to suggest he knew anything about the Enniskillen bombing.  Mr Robinson told the Impartial Reporter newspaper that he had never spoken to the Deputy First Minister about the attack, but added: "If there is evidence that suggests that he has information then it is the police who should be talking to him, not me."  Previously Mr McGuinness has said he felt ashamed when incidents such as the Enniskillen bombing were carried out in the name of Irish republicanism.  He made the comments on RTE as part of the Irish State broadcaster's coverage of the 2011 presidential election.  When asked about the Enniskillen bombing, Mr McGuinness said: "I feel ashamed when incidents like that happened.  "I know that the journalists, if they had the opportunity, would blame me for the 1916 Rising and the war of independence."  In 2008 a BBC documentary claimed Mr McGuinness knew of the IRA's plans to bomb Enniskillen.  Journalist Peter Taylor alleged he was the leading figure on the IRA's Northern Command at the time of the attack.  In the TV documentary 'Age of Terror: 10 Days of Terror', Mr Taylor said Northern Command knew about the bombing beforehand but did nothing to prevent it.  Mr Taylor said: "British and Irish security sources on both sides of the border have each independently told me that Martin McGuinness, now Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister, was the leading figure on Northern Command at the time of the attack.  "In the hours after the bombing, my sources say that McGuinness travelled to Fermanagh to question members of the local IRA unit to find out what had gone wrong."  At the time Mr McGuinness said allegations were "completely false" and based on "untrue briefings from faceless individuals in the intelligence apparatus long hostile to Sinn Fein"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on September 09, 2015, 12:56:40 PM

He doesn't trust what SF say. But he wont move forward until he hears them say something.

He'll talk to anyone in the interests of peace, but he won't talk to Them. He's the Meat Loaf of politics.

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on September 09, 2015, 01:57:48 PM

He'll talk to anyone in the interests of peace, but he won't talk to Them. He's the Meat Loaf of politics.
Sure is. But the BBC love him, he is never pressed (except by Nolan) on evening extra or good morning OWC over the inconsistencies or hypocrisy of his posturing on Loyalist Paramilitaries.

imtommygunn

He has to be one of the worst UUP leaders in their history. Completely spineless and incapable. The man was supposed to be intelligent - I dunno what happened there.

Pub Bore

AZOffaly

Erm. If the DUP and UUP walk out, would that not make Sinn Fein the defacto leaders of NI? A quick legislative change and hey presto, 32 County United Ireland!

doodaa

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 09, 2015, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 09, 2015, 01:57:48 PM

Sure is. But the BBC love him, he is never pressed (except by Nolan) on evening extra or good morning OWC over the inconsistencies or hypocrisy of his posturing on Loyalist Paramilitaries.

Theres a Youtube clip of Tara Mills giving him a decent grilling on his hypocrisy at sitting down with terrorists. It may even have been posted on this thread.

deiseach

Quote from: doodaa on September 09, 2015, 04:06:43 PM
Theres a Youtube clip of Tara Mills giving him a decent grilling on his hypocrisy at sitting down with terrorists. It may even have been posted on this thread.

Yep, Jeepers Creepers posted it - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1u-1fQC7L-A

Milltown Row2

Probably asked already, will it stop their fecking wages??? I hope so cause they've done nothing but make dciks of themselves since the start.... They said this and they said that!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 09, 2015, 04:05:38 PM
Erm. If the DUP and UUP walk out, would that not make Sinn Fein the defacto leaders of NI? A quick legislative change and hey presto, 32 County United Ireland!

Lol. Sshh there's enough paranoid people out there who would believe that and cause trouble!

I don't believe the DUP would have went had it not been for the UUP. I also believe that was mainly attention seeking.

In my view unionist politicians(mainly) have never fully wanted proper peace, equality etc. Their true colours come out every january. They come out with their petitions of concerns, with their "pacts" to make sure alliance or SF don't get in etc.

They have no interest in true democracy or equal rights and they live in a fear that if they give "them 'uns" too much they'll just push for a united ireland.

doodaa

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 09, 2015, 04:31:01 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 09, 2015, 04:05:38 PM

Lol. Sshh there's enough paranoid people out there who would believe that and cause trouble!

I don't believe the DUP would have went had it not been for the UUP. I also believe that was mainly attention seeking.

In my view unionist politicians(mainly) have never fully wanted proper peace, equality etc. Their true colours come out every january. They come out with their petitions of concerns, with their "pacts" to make sure alliance or SF don't get in etc.

They have no interest in true democracy or equal rights and they live in a fear that if they give "them 'uns" too much they'll just push for a united ireland.

Is that not a genuine fear though as that is one of Sinn Feins main aims which they make no bones about?

Rossfan

Their best way to prevent/delay a U I is to make Nationalists welcome and at ease in the 6 Cos.
Thankfully their ubermensch nature plus the OO keeping them in line means they'll never try that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM