Kilkenny v Galway All Ireland Final!

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 17, 2015, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Galway
Kilkenny

gallsman

Quote from: paddyoslabs on August 19, 2015, 11:01:25 AM
now that the dust has settled on sundays win for galway,I fear for their full back hanbury,cunningham didnt trust him enough to start him full back last sunday,Mannion got hammered their,leads me to believe kilkenny will do major damage there,Think Coen will be ok,but what if he has an off day??Tannions best days are behind him,seems slow,at 31 is it to old for centre back in the modern game?Can you win an all-ireland with three dodgy back?Tipp only lost by a point with only one forward.You can be sure Kilkenny will have more than one forward on song.just my tuppence worth,plus kk wont give those young Galway forwards the space/respect tipp gave them

Jesus I had to work it out for a while before accepting that Tan could be 31. Same as a host of all those "young bucks" from Galway who come through in 02-05. Mental.

johnneycool

Quote from: paddyoslabs on August 19, 2015, 11:01:25 AM
now that the dust has settled on sundays win for galway,I fear for their full back hanbury,cunningham didnt trust him enough to start him full back last sunday,Mannion got hammered their,leads me to believe kilkenny will do major damage there,Think Coen will be ok,but what if he has an off day??Tannions best days are behind him,seems slow,at 31 is it to old for centre back in the modern game?Can you win an all-ireland with three dodgy back?Tipp only lost by a point with only one forward.You can be sure Kilkenny will have more than one forward on song.just my tuppence worth,plus kk wont give those young Galway forwards the space/respect tipp gave them

Tipp had plenty of forwards when Callanan had an off day against Waterford.

I just thought the Galway defence were on top of their respective man marking roles (Mannion aside) as we heard very little from Bubbles O'Dwyer, even Bonner Maher whilst not a prolific scorer himself, usually sets up a lot of scores for those around him wasn't on a whole pile of ball.

Yes Galway may have trouble getting a fullback to prevent catching full forwards (something you'd think they'd work on in training), and big Tannian isn't the quickest over the ground there's not a whole pile wrong with the rest of their defence. In saying that Kilkenny don't seem to be overly careful about the ball they play into their forwards and expect them to win it themselves, that might suit big Tannian as he's a beast in the air.

AZOffaly

I think Bonner has been poor all year. Tipps failings are not forwards who can score, they have loads of those, it's forwards who can win ball. Callanan has developed that side of his game, albeit in on the edge of the square.

Bonner used to be able to do it a lot more out on the half forward line, but he hasn't really done that sort of thing this year.

Niall O'Meara is usually a good lad to win a ball, but he is inside in the corner, and was another who didn't really get going on Sunday.

Bubbles was the most disappointing for me, as he only won a couple of balls even out in the half forward line. Against Waterford they brought him out (eventually) and he really got going. Against Galway, no matter where he went he didn't get motoring. That has to be seen as a real WIN for Galway.

But Jason Forde, Brendan Maher (albeit in a different type of role) and Bonner Maher were the main problem. Even Shane Bourke's disastrous appearance. It's happened too often for Tipp over the past 3 years for it to be a co-incidence. When the fat is in the fire, the half forward line turns into a hurling wall, and every ball pucked up there comes back immediately.

I knew Tipp were in bother when I saw how hard Galway were hitting. I don't think they are windy, I hate that term, but I think they just are not skillful enough at winning the ball, and are not aggressive enough going for breaking ball when they don't win it. Too many lads want to stick in one hand and do a beautiful jab lift. It's great when it comes off, but more often than not, the lad that goes in with his body and runs 'through' the ball is the one who wins it. Tipp just don't have enough forwards who attack the ball like that.

paddyoslabs

lads lets stay on the Galway KK game.Sadly tipp are gone

johnneycool

Quote from: paddyoslabs on August 19, 2015, 02:20:17 PM
lads lets stay on the Galway KK game.Sadly tipp are gone

yes they are, but if that game had swung slightly more in favour of Tipp and they'd won, everyone would be saying about the great chance Tipp would have against Kilkenny and how would a JJ less Kilkenny handle Callanan and how bubbles and bonner Maher wouldn't be as bad again, in fact I guarantee you they'd be the favourites in a lot of peoples books.
Galway deserve the same respect as they've earned it.

keep her low this half

My money is going on Galway for the final. It may be more heart than head but since these two counties went to a replay in 2012 Kilkenny have lost a host of experienced men and I am not sure the replacements are of the same level. In the meantime Galway have shed some of the lighter players and gone for a more athletic and physical approach that seems to be working. In 2012 Galway were a one man forward line now they are not, Galway by 4

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: keep her low this half on August 23, 2015, 10:39:48 AM
My money is going on Galway for the final. It may be more heart than head but since these two counties went to a replay in 2012 Kilkenny have lost a host of experienced men and I am not sure the replacements are of the same level. In the meantime Galway have shed some of the lighter players and gone for a more athletic and physical approach that seems to be working. In 2012 Galway were a one man forward line now they are not, Galway by 4
Kilkenny will subdue those new forwards Galway have found.
What happened to them in the U21 v Limerick?

Kilkenny by 3/4 points

crow

Farrandeelin

Quote from: deiseach on August 19, 2015, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: finbar o tool on August 18, 2015, 05:58:45 PM
At the start of the year, i would never have said these 2 teams would be paired up in the final.
i wouldn't have had Galway anywhere near a final, and Kilkenny, although i knew they wouldn't be too far out, i thought they might be knocked out at the semi finals, after all the talk of all these big name players retiring etc etc. and here they are again, in the final and hot favorites. is it more new talent constantly coming through, or is it Cody, or i suppose a bit of both?!

If you ask me, it's all about Cody.

Yes me too, Kilkenny have 34 All-Irelands, Since Cody came, they have won almost one third of that total.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2015, 05:43:45 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 19, 2015, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: finbar o tool on August 18, 2015, 05:58:45 PM
At the start of the year, i would never have said these 2 teams would be paired up in the final.
i wouldn't have had Galway anywhere near a final, and Kilkenny, although i knew they wouldn't be too far out, i thought they might be knocked out at the semi finals, after all the talk of all these big name players retiring etc etc. and here they are again, in the final and hot favorites. is it more new talent constantly coming through, or is it Cody, or i suppose a bit of both?!

If you ask me, it's all about Cody.

Yes me too, Kilkenny have 34 All-Irelands, Since Cody came, they have won almost one third of that total.

Sure that's nothing, if H&C win with Mayo they'll have won a quarter of Mayo's AI titles and in less time!  :P

paddyoslabs

was talking to an inter county hurler from a prominent munster county,who said he was hopeing tipp beat Galway,as the galway boys are supposed to be serious men for the mouthing,he sad they are the worst by  far.Interesting!

finbar o tool

Jaysus i got sucked into reading that thread on the Dublin/Mayo match, some drivel on that!!  ::)

you'd nearly forget the All Ireland Hurling final was on this Sunday!! have to get my head away from that football shite!
Right, match predictions and correct score, lets get the ball rolling...

More often than not in AI finals with KK involved, its a tight affair for 50mins or so and then KK put the foot down and get out of sight. i expect the same again with Galway to get a late goal to take the real bad look off the scoreboard.

Kilkenny to win by 7, scoreline of 3-23 to 2-19.

Sorry Galwegians! i would love to see you win it but cant see it happening.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

johnneycool

Quote from: finbar o tool on September 01, 2015, 06:16:21 PM
Jaysus i got sucked into reading that thread on the Dublin/Mayo match, some drivel on that!!  ::)

you'd nearly forget the All Ireland Hurling final was on this Sunday!! have to get my head away from that football shite!
Right, match predictions and correct score, lets get the ball rolling...

More often than not in AI finals with KK involved, its a tight affair for 50mins or so and then KK put the foot down and get out of sight. i expect the same again with Galway to get a late goal to take the real bad look off the scoreboard.

Kilkenny to win by 7, scoreline of 3-23 to 2-19.

Sorry Galwegians! i would love to see you win it but cant see it happening.

First things first, I think rightly or wrongly Galway will go straight 15 on 15 and with that they'll concede scores, but at the same time, I think they'll give the Kilkenny defence a bigger test than they've had so far this year, so it'll be a matter of how virtual novices like Prendergast, Holden and Paudraig Walsh who've had a reasonable enough ride due to almost every team they've played giving them the numerical advantage in defence cope with a big, physical set of forwards.

Its really hard to look past a team with TJ Reid and Richie Hogan in it, probably the two best hurlers in Ireland currently and its not as if the other Kilkenny forwards are bad either, but just for the change it would be good to see someone else lift Liam again.

imtommygunn

Would love to see Galway win this but just don't think they are good enough just yet. To win it I Joe needs to get back on form and get his radar back. Galway forwards are quite young and I would worry about the lack of inroads some of them made against Limerick in the u21s. They'll get it much tougher here.

Also they would really need to shore up at full back or if KK stick Reid in there he'll murder them.

paddyoslabs

fair post johnny,my worry for galway, two boys in full back line are poor,coen is ok.think kk will target them big time,
Plus two young lads in their first final up front will never get the freedom Tipp gave them,only good thing for them is Jackie wont be there to say hi  ;D kk by 5