Kilkenny v Galway All Ireland Final!

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 17, 2015, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Galway
Kilkenny

theskull1

There was plenty of black and amberers high tailing it before the final whistle

This was the first year I left just after the final whistle and was astounded how many KK people were in the throngs leaving the ground.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2015, 02:07:53 PM
I thought John Delaney was a Waterford man? And he lives in Tipp. What's his game? Is he actually from Kilkenny?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/video-singing-john-delaney-leads-allireland-celebrations-on-kilkenny-team-bus-31507086.html
He's like Ed Sheeran, turning up at every hooley to belt out a few tunes!

Duine Eile

Disappointing in the end for Galway but congrats to Kilkenny, they're some machine. I have to say the expectation and pressure placed on Joe Canning's shoulders and criticism he receives (both inside and outside the county)  after every game is grossly unfair, again today all comment seems to be that he's not a leader, he'll never be one of the greats, he didn't perform as he should on All Ireland final day etc. etc. he scored 1-08 or whatever it was and this is the response, the whole team seemed to collapse in the 2nd half bar one or two exceptions but yet again it's all Joe Canning's fault, very unfair IMO!

deiseach

Canalman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 07, 2015, 01:40:04 PM
Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: deiseach on September 07, 2015, 11:10:43 AM
I felt a little embarrassed to find myself hoping that Kerry win the All-Ireland because of the unhinged reaction of a few of the Dubs on here. Reading people having a pop at Galway supporters, I'm clearly not alone in using isolated examples to make such determinations! :P

Deiseach, I don' t think I am being unhinged  (maybe wrong or exaggerating a bit) when it comes to Galway hurling supporters. I have been at league games/ playoffs/ early LSHC games where the loyal and hardcore Galway support can be measured in the 100s.

I am fairly nonplussed when an excess of 50,000 make it to an AIF.

I stand behind what I said about the flak that Galway team are now going to unfairly take from their own.

Absolute Grade A horseshite. The Galway hurlers actually usually get decent crowds to their league games despite matches being played at the traffic black hole of Pearse Stadium. They'd get even more if the games were played out in Athenry. Club games get some of the best crowds in the country. They don't get 50,000 obviously but it's All-Ireland final day. What do you expect? The casuals fill the stadium for both teams. It's the same as any county on the big day. The Galway support outnumbered Cork in the quarter-final and Tipp in the semi-final so they weren't all waiting for the final. Don't get me wrong when things are going badly the support for the hurlers can shrink rapidly but the current bunch have usually had a good following. Sometimes it might take a win to get them out but once they come out they are there in numbers.

I don't think the team are actually going to get that much flak. They had a great Summer. Some great days out. I think the fans appreciate that and realise they came up against a remoreless dream crushing machine that is Cody's Kilkenny. Certainly coming back on the train last night there was very little abuse of the players going on. More resignation of being in the same position of losing on final day again.

Of course during a game you are always going to get people roaring abuse. Sure right behind me at the game were two Kilkenny lads who started roaring "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio" at every Galway supporter who stood up to leave during the last minute or two of the game. Two yahoos no doubt but that doesn't mean they are representative of all Kilkenny fans.

Agree to disagree so.

I have to pull you up on the outnumbering Cork and Tipperary fans argument this summer. No way josé.

At the first Dublin game this summer the Galway support imo anyway was in the 100s. Likewise at the NHL playoff some years ago in Tullamore.

As for the flak they will take I presume and hope you are right .

Really hope they go on and win an AI shortly.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2015, 02:27:50 PM
I felt a little embarrassed to find myself hoping that Kerry win the All-Ireland because of the unhinged reaction of a few of the Dubs on here. Reading people having a pop at Galway supporters, I'm clearly not alone in using isolated examples to make such determinations! :P

Deiseach, I don' t think I am being unhinged  (maybe wrong or exaggerating a bit) when it comes to Galway hurling supporters. I have been at league games/ playoffs/ early LSHC games where the loyal and hardcore Galway support can be measured in the 100s.

I stand behind what I said about the flak that Galway team are now going to unfairly take from their own.

Absolute Grade A horseshite. The Galway hurlers actually usually get decent crowds to their league games despite matches being played at the traffic black hole of Pearse Stadium. They'd get even more if the games were played out in Athenry. Club games get some of the best crowds in the country. They don't get 50,000 obviously but it's All-Ireland final day. What do you expect? The casuals fill the stadium for both teams. It's the same as any county on the big day. The Galway support outnumbered Cork in the quarter-final and Tipp in the semi-final so they weren't all waiting for the final. Don't get me wrong when things are going badly the support for the hurlers can shrink rapidly but the current bunch have usually had a good following. Sometimes it might take a win to get them out but once they come out they are there in numbers.

I don't think the team are actually going to get that much flak. They had a great Summer. Some great days out. I think the fans appreciate that and realise they came up against a remoreless dream crushing machine that is Cody's Kilkenny. Certainly coming back on the train last night there was very little abuse of the players going on. More resignation of being in the same position of losing on final day again.

Of course during a game you are always going to get people roaring abuse. Sure right behind me at the game were two Kilkenny lads who started roaring "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio" at every Galway supporter who stood up to leave during the last minute or two of the game. Two yahoos no doubt but that doesn't mean they are representative of all Kilkenny fans.

Agree to disagree so.

I have to pull you up on the outnumbering Cork and Tipperary fans argument this summer. No way josé.

Sure even on Premier View (no friends of Galway) they admitted they were outnumbered at the game. As did the Tipp journalist Jackie Cahill on the radio after the match. Are they liars or just mistaken?

I wouldn't judge the Galway support on games against Dublin. Rightly or wrongly they will get a lot more out for games against Tipp or Cork. Especially the Dublin game this year as there was very little expectation for the Summer ahead after the showing in the Waterford game in the league. The smallest crowd of the year was undoubtably out for the first day against the Dubs.

johnneycool

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 07, 2015, 02:33:35 PM

Agree to disagree so.

Sure even on Premier View (no friends of Galway) they admitted they were outnumbered at the game. As did the Tipp journalist Jackie Cahill on the radio after the match. Are they liars or just mistaken?

I wouldn't judge the Galway support on games against Dublin. Rightly or wrongly they will get a lot more out for games against Tipp or Cork. Especially the Dublin game this year as there was very little expectation for the Summer ahead after the showing in the Waterford game in the league. The smallest crowd of the year was undoubtably out for the first day against the Dubs.

I'd say Galway certainly did have more support in the semi-final than Tipp, but I'd say a good bit of that was from neutral counties, but it was pretty obvious when the scores were sailing over the bar.

Every county has their fair weather support, its hardly just a Galway thing.

As for the hurling side of things, I thought Joe Canning played well, but he was starved off the ball in the second half, like a lot of the Galway forwards when KK went deep to prevent Callinans puck outs and so on. Galway and their defence needed to be cuter with their clearances, puck outs and so on, but played in the cats strength by reverted to the long, aimless hollywood clearances.
They really need to get back there next year to correct these mistakes and that's their achilles heel, getting two good years back to back with the minimal of changes to personnel.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2015, 02:51:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 07, 2015, 02:33:35 PM

Agree to disagree so.

I'd say Galway certainly did have more support in the semi-final than Tipp, but I'd say a good bit of that was from neutral counties, but it was pretty obvious when the scores were sailing over the bar.

Every county has their fair weather support, its hardly just a Galway thing.

As for the hurling side of things, I thought Joe Canning played well, but he was starved off the ball in the second half, like a lot of the Galway forwards when KK went deep to prevent Callinans puck outs and so on. Galway and their defence needed to be cuter with their clearances, puck outs and so on, but played in the cats strength by reverted to the long, aimless hollywood clearances.
They really need to get back there next year to correct these mistakes and that's their achilles heel, getting two good years back to back with the minimal of changes to personnel.

Joe is getting a lot of stick today but he scored 1-8. (0-3 from play) while TJ is getting all the plaudits and he scored 1-7 (1-1 from play). The winners write the history I guess. Ultimately Joe was stationed at 14 for nearly all the 2nd half and the ball just wasn't getting up to him. It was barely getting past the crowded Kilkenny half-back line and midfield. Now you could argue that he should have moved out himself looking for it but if you are told to play close to goal as you are the team's best chance of a goal then what do you do? Rob Peter to pay Paul.

Bit disapponted with the Galway line as they should have had a puck out strategy in place for when Kilkenny flooded the middle third of the field to stop our ball winners. We just kept on doing the same thing instead of mixing in a few short ones to draw them out. Just kept bombing puck outs to Glynn and Donnellan but they were swarmed during the 2nd half.

theskull1

I thought he was out in the half backline 'looking for it' to often for my liking. For a lot of the second half the FF line got pulled out (their decision) into that crowded area and made it even conjested. Looked like panic set in and their decision making went awry
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

gallsman

Ah don't try and wheel out the "he scored more and from play" line. Joe disappeared in the second half after a bright opening and had one very badly missed free when needed it most. Besides, the goal was in garbage time and counted for nowt. The records will show a four point defeat but it was a much heavier beating than that. On that note, was there a reason given for the retake?!

Joe is an absolutely fantastic hurler but too often he goes missing in big games. At the start of his career, you'd never trust TJ to go into battle for you. He was a lovely, skillful hurler but too nice. Now he's full of heart and a real leader of the team, throwing himself into the "rucks" as they're apparently being called and frequently emerging on the other side. I know which one I'd prefer on my team.

north_antrim_hound

My point exactly Joes a good hurler but the leadership quality isn't there
Woukd TJ have missed that free when kk really needed it
Only young Flynn was off after running himself into the ground I would have assigned him to the frees
There arguments for both theory's
Kilkenny turned the screw like they always do or even  Galway needed men to stand up when the chips where down
Well done to KK fully deserved but it's all getting very predictable at present and doesn't help interest levels from the neutrals

Tipp or a fully functional Clare are the only teams capable of challenging them
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 07, 2015, 06:02:43 PM
Only young Flynn was off after running himself into the ground I would have assigned him to the frees
Kilkenny turned the screw like they always do or even  Galway needed men to stand up when the chips where down
Well done to KK fully deserved but it's all getting very predictable at present and doesn't help interest levels from the neutrals

Tipp haven't beaten them in the championship in 5 years and they've had a few goes at it since. Clare have never beaten them and won their title the one season in the past decade that Kilkenny had an off year. Getting knocked out by a moderate enough Cork side. Physically I think Kilkenny would eat them without salt.

mouview

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 07, 2015, 06:02:43 PM

Look at JC's scoring passes v Cork, Tipp late in the games this year. Look at his performance in the drawn game v KK last year in Tullamore when he pulled the game out of the fire more than anyone. That was leadership. The trick about him is to keep him involved, keep him near the play, but so often he's stationed at FF because he's Galway's best goal threat, therefore he can be often starved of ball.

Clare are fully dysfunctional  at present and have never beaten KK under Cody; as GBB said, Tipp have had plenty of go's at it too and have failed all bar one. Even their own are coming out now and calling them soft and having a weak underbelly.

Bord na Mona man

Brendan Lynskey having a pop.
http://www.balls.ie/gaa/galway-legend-calls-bullshit-on-pearse-stadium-celebrations-for-beaten-team/307926

You can sorta see the point. In 2001, 2005 and 2012 when Galway lost finals there seemed to be a lot of folk saying that they were on the right road, building a team, making progress. Yet these years were immediately followed by a slump.