Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 17, 2015, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Galway
Kilkenny

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2015, 09:20:02 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2015, 08:08:10 AM
I thought Padraig Walsh was immense in the second half and should have got man of the match. Not sure how the other Fennelly stayed on but Michael wasn't half bad. Pity for Galway. You feel a bit like you do for Mayo where you wonder if it will ever happen for them. It'd be a shame to see Joe Canning play out his career without winning one.

Eoin Larkin was the only Kilkenny man to go well the whole 70 minutes IMO. I thought he was outstanding.

TJ Reid is some man for timing his runs into the rucks to get the ball, he's well worth watching at it, avoids the first contact and comes in pick up the scraps, maybe its something they work at, first KK man in takes out the opponent to allow the second KK man in to get the ball, but their stickwork and speed of hand in close quarters is fantastic to behold. More often than not they win the ball in those situations.

Galway had them on the rack, but didn't get the scores that it deserved and if you give this KK team a second bite they take and in the second half they certainly did!

Even at that, with Galway on the rack, some of their wayward shooting from play and frees allowed Kilkenny to get a lead and if only young Whelan had gotten a good contact with his shot on goal, it could well have been a nail biting finish, but Kilkenny do what they do best and go up the field and tack on a point!

As for the ref, he was rightly hard on the steps, should have shown Coen a red and was right to not award a free to Donnellan for he'd lost his balance and should have gotten up to play on. He should have awarded David Collins a free when he was totally clobbered when attempting to clear the ball, but I thought he was pretty good throughout in all considering how hard it must be to referee those encounters.

It wasn't a bad game, but after the last few years it was always going to be a hard act to follow.

The Kilkenny machine keeps rolling on!

It would have been better for for Galway if the ref would have sent coen off
He obviously was told that at half time a yellow was the wrong call
He then compensated by letting Kilkenny get very aggressive in the second half
David Collins getting stream rolled was just one clear free not blown of many
Kilkenny stopped the Galway goalies puc out strategy by flooding those areas in the second half and the Galway sideline didn't respond
When it turned into a dogfight there was only going to be one winner
Galway completely collapsed when the hard questions where asked
Joe Canning is not a leader
Only players that stood up when things got heavy was Collins, Burke and hanbery
When Glynn and company did win a puc out they where getting there arms pulled steady
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Canalman

Got that wrong. Bought into the Galway thing ......... again............ for the last time.

Feel v sorry for AC and the Galway players.

They will get it in the neck big time. They "spoilt" the big day for the legion of Galway bandwaggoners who cannot be a...d going to games in Salthill (or anywhere else except in September) but are well able to put the knife in all the same.

Game may need imo to go to 13 a side or make the pitch bigger (probably not an option) as the speeed and bulk of modern players has made the game too tight. Modern  Sliotar far too light and travelling too far.

Well done KK.

Cyril Farrell fan

Gutted!
I thought we were on course at half time and I still can't understand how we disappeared in the second half.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on September 07, 2015, 10:15:28 AM
Gutted!
I thought we were on course at half time and I still can't understand how we disappeared in the second half.

I don't think ye disappeared as such. I just think Kilkenny gathered themselves and lifted their own intensity and workrate, and when they start cranking it up, they are an awesome side.

doodaa

Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2015, 09:20:02 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2015, 08:08:10 AM
I thought Padraig Walsh was immense in the second half and should have got man of the match. Not sure how the other Fennelly stayed on but Michael wasn't half bad. Pity for Galway. You feel a bit like you do for Mayo where you wonder if it will ever happen for them. It'd be a shame to see Joe Canning play out his career without winning one.

Eoin Larkin was the only Kilkenny man to go well the whole 70 minutes IMO. I thought he was outstanding.

TJ Reid is some man for timing his runs into the rucks to get the ball, he's well worth watching at it, avoids the first contact and comes in pick up the scraps, maybe its something they work at, first KK man in takes out the opponent to allow the second KK man in to get the ball, but their stickwork and speed of hand in close quarters is fantastic to behold. More often than not they win the ball in those situations.

Galway had them on the rack, but didn't get the scores that it deserved and if you give this KK team a second bite they take and in the second half they certainly did!

Even at that, with Galway on the rack, some of their wayward shooting from play and frees allowed Kilkenny to get a lead and if only young Whelan had gotten a good contact with his shot on goal, it could well have been a nail biting finish, but Kilkenny do what they do best and go up the field and tack on a point!

As for the ref, he was rightly hard on the steps, should have shown Coen a red and was right to not award a free to Donnellan for he'd lost his balance and should have gotten up to play on. He should have awarded David Collins a free when he was totally clobbered when attempting to clear the ball, but I thought he was pretty good throughout in all considering how hard it must be to referee those encounters.

It wasn't a bad game, but after the last few years it was always going to be a hard act to follow.

The Kilkenny machine keeps rolling on!

Cant agree with that.
It was a clear trip when I seen it live and when I watched it again from the other angle it was still a clear trip.

Would agree with your other observations though.

TJ Reid is just a class act.

johnneycool

Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2015, 09:47:45 AM
Got that wrong. Bought into the Galway thing ......... again............ for the last time.

Feel v sorry for AC and the Galway players.

They will get it in the neck big time. They "spoilt" the big day for the legion of Galway bandwaggoners who cannot be a...d going to games in Salthill (or anywhere else except in September) but are well able to put the knife in all the same.

Game may need imo to go to 13 a side or make the pitch bigger (probably not an option) as the speeed and bulk of modern players has made the game too tight. Modern  Sliotar far too light and travelling too far.

Well done KK.

In total agreement, the ball needs revisited, but just change the material in its core to be less 'responsive'.

Bud Wiser

( the legion of Galway bandwaggoners who cannot be a...d going to games in Salthill (or anywhere else except in September) but are well able to put the knife in all the same. )

The ones behind me yesterday are the reason I am delighted the Cats hurled them off the park in the second half. Every second word was "cnut"  If these yobos could hurl a sliothar as well as they can hurl abuse they might win an All-Ireland.

Man of the match from what I hear is Jackie Tyrell   - for his rousing half time speech. 

Well done to Galway Minors, they provided three great games of hurling over the last month with the replay against Kilkenny prior to yesterdays final. I hope they (particularly that young No. 11 lad, only 17) get all the plaudits they deserve and are not dependent on support of the assholes behind me yesterday. 

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ludermor

It is incredible that Kilkenny can churn out so many brilliant players over such a long period of time. They have had huge number of players retired over the last 3 years but they have all been replaced and have won consetitive All Ireland. They have lost over 80 All Ireland with the retirements of Shefflin , JJ, Tommy Walsh, Eddie Brennan. Michael Kavanagh, Aiden Fogarty, Noel Hickey , Brian Hogan, Martin Comerford and lots more i havent listed.

deiseach

I felt a little embarrassed to find myself hoping that Kerry win the All-Ireland because of the unhinged reaction of a few of the Dubs on here. Reading people having a pop at Galway supporters, I'm clearly not alone in using isolated examples to make such determinations! :P

deiseach

Quote from: ludermor on September 07, 2015, 11:08:17 AM
It is incredible that Kilkenny can churn out so many brilliant players over such a long period of time. They have had huge number of players retired over the last 3 years but they have all been replaced and have won consetitive All Ireland. They have lost over 80 All Ireland with the retirements of Shefflin , JJ, Tommy Walsh, Eddie Brennan. Michael Kavanagh, Aiden Fogarty, Noel Hickey , Brian Hogan, Martin Comerford and lots more i havent listed.

I know I'm getting boring at this stage - only now, sez you - but . . . Cody. Cody. Cody. The man makes Alex Ferguson look like a dilettante.

Bud Wiser

Boring?  Annoying more to the point when some of us less educated mere mortals have to go to Google to understand what you are saying.
dilettante ? Ff's

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

deiseach

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 07, 2015, 11:29:33 AM
Boring?  Annoying more to the point when some of us less educated mere mortals have to go to Google to understand what you are saying.
dilettante ? Ff's

Harsh but fair.

Canalman

Quote from: deiseach on September 07, 2015, 11:10:43 AM
I felt a little embarrassed to find myself hoping that Kerry win the All-Ireland because of the unhinged reaction of a few of the Dubs on here. Reading people having a pop at Galway supporters, I'm clearly not alone in using isolated examples to make such determinations! :P

Deiseach, I don' t think I am being unhinged  (maybe wrong or exaggerating a bit) when it comes to Galway hurling supporters. I have been at league games/ playoffs/ early LSHC games where the loyal and hardcore Galway support can be measured in the 100s.

I am fairly nonplussed when an excess of 50,000 make it to an AIF.

I stand behind what I said about the flak that Galway team are now going to unfairly take from their own.

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
Deiseach, I don' t think I am being unhinged  (maybe wrong or exaggerating a bit) when it comes to Galway hurling supporters. I have been at league games/ playoffs/ early LSHC games where the loyal and hardcore Galway support can be measured in the 100s.

I stand behind what I said about the flak that Galway team are now going to unfairly take from their own.

I'm not saying that anyone here is unhinged. Not in this thread anyway. Just noting that we all make decisions on who to support when our own lot are not involved based on some pretty arbitrary stuff. It's all part of the fun. I thought Galway had a decent support for the semi-final and if we are going to judge the dedication of a county's support based on how many turn out for games earlier on in the year then every county is going to be found wanting. And I'm sure we can find abusive supporters if we look hard enough. Witness the hatchet 'Willie Joe' had to take to the post-match comments on the Mayo GAA Blog. None of that means you are not entitled to your viewpoint. I cheered for Kilkenny in the 2007 All-Ireland final because I was bitter at the thought of Limerick taking 'our' All-Ireland, so I'm in no position to lecture!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: deiseach on September 07, 2015, 11:10:43 AM

Absolute Grade A horseshite. The Galway hurlers actually usually get decent crowds to their league games despite matches being played at the traffic black hole of Pearse Stadium. They'd get even more if the games were played out in Athenry. Club games get some of the best crowds in the country. They don't get 50,000 obviously but it's All-Ireland final day. What do you expect? The casuals fill the stadium for both teams. It's the same as any county on the big day. The Galway support outnumbered Cork in the quarter-final and Tipp in the semi-final so they weren't all waiting for the final. Don't get me wrong when things are going badly the support for the hurlers can shrink rapidly but the current bunch have usually had a good following. Sometimes it might take a win to get them out but once they come out they are there in numbers.

I don't think the team are actually going to get that much flak. They had a great Summer. Some great days out. I think the fans appreciate that and realise they came up against a remoreless dream crushing machine that is Cody's Kilkenny. Certainly coming back on the train last night there was very little abuse of the players going on. More resignation of being in the same position of losing on final day again.

Of course during a game you are always going to get people roaring abuse. Sure right behind me at the game were two Kilkenny lads who started roaring "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio" at every Galway supporter who stood up to leave during the last minute or two of the game. Two yahoos no doubt but that doesn't mean they are representative of all Kilkenny fans.