GAA Special Bets for the Football Championship

Started by Lone Shark, April 26, 2007, 02:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleSimon

Your aim was to get more business and well I've moved from my pp account so you've 1 more customer. Obviously the actuary shows you have a great understanding of numbers but is there not serious money to practice in it? Ladbrokes must pay well.

Lone Shark

Quote from: SimpleSimon on May 17, 2007, 05:48:07 PM
Your aim was to get more business and well I've moved from my pp account so you've 1 more customer. Obviously the actuary shows you have a great understanding of numbers but is there not serious money to practice in it? Ladbrokes must pay well.

There isn't anything like the money that there is in the actuarial profession - bookies are keenly aware of the fact that odds compilers tend to be sports fanatics and thus are happy to spend the whole day involved in one of their great passions, not to put too fine a point on it. Much like Sports journalism - you won't make your fortune, but a lot of the people involved don't care - fans with typewriters and all that. (So based on that, you'll never guess which odds compiler likes to spend free time freelancing for the Offaly Indo.....  ;))

However if you do reasonably well at your job and you're willing to commit wholeheartedly to it, you can do okay. I take about one day off per week on average, but even on that day I'll still get four or five work related calls. If you don't want to just punch in time and you start taking you markets personally, you'll make a reasonable salary and hopefully make a few quid punting yourself on the side. Hopefully!!

armaghniac

Well sure you are as well trying to predict the likelihood of Tyrone getting 7 points more than Fermanagh than being an actuary and working out when pople are going to die.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Stranworst

criostlinn

I want to compliment you lone shark on the work your doing. I to was a pp man but its great to have a bit of competition in the market. I have opened my account with Ladbrokes and hopefully courtesy of David Brady ill have a good balance to get me through the summer. I hear Brady may not start sunday as he is not match fit yet and with his history for injuries, you never know the bosses could be very happy with you.

Why is it every thread on this board has to be interrupted by some lug ?

Quote from: Red Nose Red Hand on May 17, 2007, 07:53:31 PM
Quote from: Stranworst on May 17, 2007, 07:47:59 PM
What do you mean red hand?

33/1 on means that you must bet £33 to win one pound
33/1 against means that you will win £33 if you bet one pound

Lone Shark

Quote from: Red Nose Red Hand on May 17, 2007, 07:34:11 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on May 16, 2007, 10:59:14 AM
33/1 on a Down Donegal Ulster Final.

Surely somebody in the betting trade knows that this should be 33/1 against a Down-Donegal Ulster Final

An incorrect turn of phrase I'll grant you. More a reflection of the fact that I learnt my trade (granted I have a lot more to learn it appears  ;)) in college and then in an office rather than clerking at Shelbourne Park or Ballinrobe than anything else though.

Muzz

Criostlinn has a point Red Nose.  If on your slip you have 6/4 how can the bookies pay out at 4/6? 

I'm not getting into the argument I am just curious as I might have to start writing on and against just to make sure ;-)  Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully you wont have to change your name to Red Faced Red Hand.

BTW...after the tyrone team named tonight...no mugsy...mcginley...surely them odds for Fermanagh plus 7 are going further in? 

Anyone found them at evens yet even for plus 5?

Smokin Joe

f**k sake lads, would you take your chilidsh squabbles over to Hoganstand, you are spoiling a decent and genuine thread.

It is obvious that a Down / Donegal final would be 33/1 and not 1/33 - end of story.

Even though LS is well capable of standing up for himself I can confirm that he was't the Ladbrokes compiler this time last year.  Do you think he would have come up with ricks like these that surfaced on Ladbrokes last year:

Offaly 1st score vs Dublin @ 7/4
Cork 1st Score vs Kerry @ 7/4
Tipp 1st Score vs KK @ 6/4

thewobbler

Admin, I don't ask for much, but can you please tidy up this thread to remove all entries to and for Red Nose Red Hand?

This would be a very useful thread if the simple of mind didn't hijack it.

Loup Bandit

As discussed about betting on fermanagh with a few points in hand, William hill go Fermanagh +4 at 5/4.
May not be enough points though, i wudnt have minded it even +5.

Not the strongest tyrone team which was named but should still win and have mugsy and mc ginley on th bench.

Any one strongly fancy mayo to beat galway? Mayo -1 ate 5/4 with William Hill.

MacDanger

No DB starting on Sunday Lone Shark, you might keep your job after all!!

Any combinations with Mayo and JOM getting elected?

Red Nose Red Hand

Quote from: thewobbler on May 18, 2007, 09:15:11 AM
Admin, I don't ask for much, but can you please tidy up this thread to remove all entries to and for Red Nose Red Hand?

This would be a very useful thread if the simple of mind didn't hijack it.

I've deleted mine. 

bennydorano

Had a nice wee bet on Waterford yesterday, only got 5/2 in my local bookies which was disappointing as they were 4/1 on Thursday with PP,think the prices shortened when Clare announced a team with 9 debutants.

Loup Bandit

fermanagh +4 at 5/4 was a good bet for the weekend past there!  ;D

any thoughts on this weekend?

Lone Shark, have you any good specials on the armagh - donegal game??

Jack Dempsey

Quote from: Loup Bandit on May 23, 2007, 02:03:31 PM
fermanagh +4 at 5/4 was a good bet for the weekend past there!  ;D

any thoughts on this weekend?

Lone Shark, have you any good specials on the armagh - donegal game??

what about fermanagh +7 @ 4/5. now that was a good bet.