Author Topic: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification  (Read 21108 times)

BennyCake

• View Profile
Re: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
Fair enough so.

Still, a shitty way to decide a match.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
Fair enough so.

Still, a shitty way to decide a match.

Rotten, and Iíd only use the method if the other game is 7 days away, if there is a 2 week gap then play the game on the Wednesday night to a finish then.. it needs to be looked at but time constraints can upset the other team having to wait and extra week sitting on their hands
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2018, 10:30:31 PM »
A fella goes to catch the ball

He has it, ref blows whistle, and somehow he drops it

what would the referee do?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:32 PM »

He has to be in possession when he lands on his feet.

One that gets me and Iíll be honest, if the ball is kicked out and one lad goes for a catch comes off his hands and itís wrestled away into another players hands before he lands is it a mark?

The ball during the ping pong moment hasnít touched the ground
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

theticklemister

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:21 PM »

One that gets me and Iíll be honest, if the ball is kicked out and one lad goes for a catch comes off his hands and itís wrestled away into another players hands before he lands is it a mark?

it caught me twice this year, once at the weekend during a uni game. I said to the lad, he didn't complete the mark, therefore he can't keep possession. The opposition player came in and claimed possession, but because the fella who dropped its team were down a bucketful, i threw the ball up.

It's not in the mark rule guidelines by the GAA

theticklemister

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2018, 10:45:48 PM »

No that is not a mark, the catch has to be done without the ball touching any other player. The player who eventually marks the ball can juggle with it as long as he wants as long it doesnt touch another player

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2018, 10:54:43 PM »

No that is not a mark, the catch has to be done without the ball touching any other player. The player who eventually marks the ball can juggle with it as long as he wants as long it doesnt touch another player

Thatís a hard call when three players go for a ball there are hands on that ball by 3 players, even though a player Ďcatchesí it!

theticklemister

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2018, 11:00:20 PM »

Thatís a hard call when three players go for a ball there are hands on that ball by 3 players, even though a player Ďcatchesí it!

What would you do with my predicament?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2018, 11:08:46 PM »

What would you do with my predicament?

If you blow your whistle for the mark then stand over it, but delay your next call until youíre sure  :)

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2018, 07:27:01 AM »

If you blow your whistle for the mark then stand over it, but delay your next call until youíre sure  :)

Seen it at club level in Dublin 4 or 5 times this year. A player looks like he's claiming a mark, the ref blows the whistle and simultaneously the players drops the ball before completing the catch. In all those cases, the ref gave the mark. I think rightly so. The whistle signals the completion of the mark (rightly or wrongly!). And perhaps in some of those cases the player might have argued that the whistle blowing jolted his concentration resulting in the ball dropping.

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »

Seen it at club level in Dublin 4 or 5 times this year. A player looks like he's claiming a mark, the ref blows the whistle and simultaneously the players drops the ball before completing the catch. In all those cases, the ref gave the mark. I think rightly so. The whistle signals the completion of the mark (rightly or wrongly!). And perhaps in some of those cases the player might have argued that the whistle blowing jolted his concentration resulting in the ball dropping.

Agreed. Refs can make wrong calls  :o but once it is made it is made.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
Reading an article about Weeshie Fogarty.

Apparently as a referee, he gave out the first yellow card when the GAA trialled yellow/reds in 1979. Makes you wonder why on earth it wasnít continued?! Itís a no brainer!

Then again, Tyrone might have beat Dublin in 1995 had Charlie been on the sideline like he should have been. Every cloud, and all that...

Manning18

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
Little off topic but we've no hurling threads to go to really. Changing the ball from white to yellow for visibility, as tennis did back in the day.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/gaa-set-to-standardise-yellow-sliotar-after-fenway-classic-37552182.html

Can see a bit of a kick back on this from the odd person, a hurler mentioned just the week past watching the Fenway that different colored balls annoyed him. We'd always have had the odd luminous orange one lying around training and i did find it strange, certainly moreso than the yellow "floodlight football" but probably something you'd get used to.