2015 All Stars

Started by ONeill, August 10, 2015, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 07, 2015, 01:04:11 AM
Quote from: Beffs on November 07, 2015, 12:54:39 AM
Ridiculous that O'Shea got one. And for what? Going on a rampage against Sligo? Come on now.

Whatever about it going to Paddy Andrews, feckit, I would have given it to Sean Quigley. Second in the scoring charts. Plus, he has more balls and Croke Park moxie in his little finger, than O'Shea has in his entire body. The sympathy factor is what got O'Shea his gong. People feel so sorry for him and Mayo now, they want to make it up to him by giving him the awards in November, that he (and Mayo) are just not able to win for themselves in September.

Double marked, triple marked, bad balls into him...whatever. It's a different excuse every year....excuses that you never hear from the likes of Colm Cooper, Bernard Brogan, McManus etc

Funnily enough i was thinking the same about Donnacha Walsh. It's gas how the Kerry media men pointed the judges in his direction and they said yes! Cos that's what one does! Isn't it?

If I had a euro for every time I heard a Kerry pundit say/write "It beggars belief that Donnacha Walsh has never won an All Star" I'd be the wealthiest poster on here. But even so, he & Kerry have won multiple All Irelands. So I can't really see the sympathy factor at play with him, as much as it would be for O'Shea and Mayo. 

moysider

Ridiculous that O'Shea got one. And for what? Going on a rampage against Sligo? Come on now.

Whatever about it going to Paddy Andrews, feckit, I would have given it to Sean Quigley. Second in the scoring charts. Plus, he has more balls and Croke Park moxie in his little finger, than O'Shea has in his entire body. The sympathy factor is what got O'Shea his gong. People feel so sorry for him and Mayo now, they want to make it up to him by giving him the awards in November, that he (and Mayo) are just not able to win for themselves in September.

Double marked, triple marked, bad balls into him...whatever. It's a different excuse every year....excuses that you never hear from the likes of Colm Cooper, Bernard Brogan, McManus etc

Not gone on the All Stars but if Aidan O Sé didn't get one tonight - forget about it. Yeah I would have loved to have seen Seán Quigley get one  but here's the thing. Sligo and Fermanagh about the same level. Has Quigley ever scored 3-4 from play against Sligo when they have played? Has Andrews and Brogan etc. gone on the rampage and scored 3-4 against any of the Sligo equivalents in Leinster ( there are lots - all of them, in fact, at this stage).

Cop on. Nobody feels sorry for Mayo. Mayo are probably punished more than felt sorry for.

Mayo were one of a very few teams that made the championship interesting and pushed Dublin. 2 All Stars?

Tom Parsons was the most midfielder of quality this year.

Kerry ghosted into the final without rubbing their feet and get 4. They ll be having a laugh down in Kerry trying to remember  less quality All Stars in the Kingdom than they got tonight. I dunno if Donnacha Walsh looked humble or embarrassed tbh.

thewobbler

it definitely wasn't a vintage year and it's a pretty mediocre all star team as a result.

Not that there's anything wrong with the team - Parsons is the major omission in my book, but not so much to even warrant an angry Tweet - but look at it and you can see that showing up when it mattered wasn't a major factor in selection.

Truth be told, the only players who continually showed up when it mattered were McMahon and Brogan and Keegan. The rest (including our POTY) could all be omitted or included without a qualm.

Beffs

Quote from: moysider on November 07, 2015, 01:17:31 AM

Not gone on the All Stars but if Aidan O Sé didn't get one tonight - forget about it. Yeah I would have loved to have seen Seán Quigley get one  but here's the thing. Sligo and Fermanagh about the same level. Has Quigley ever scored 3-4 from play against Sligo when they have played? Has Andrews and Brogan etc. gone on the rampage and scored 3-4 against any of the Sligo equivalents in Leinster ( there are lots - all of them, in fact, at this stage).

Cop on. Nobody feels sorry for Mayo. Mayo are probably punished more than felt sorry for.

Mayo were one of a very few teams that made the championship interesting and pushed Dublin. 2 All Stars?

Tom Parsons was the most midfielder of quality this year.

Kerry ghosted into the final without rubbing their feet and get 4. They ll be having a laugh down in Kerry trying to remember  less quality All Stars in the Kingdom than they got tonight. I dunno if Donnacha Walsh looked humble or embarrassed tbh.

So pushing Dublin and making the championship interesting are criteria for winning All Stars now? Seriously? Go ahead and give everyone from Fermanagh an All Star then so.  ::)

The criteria for winning All Stars seems to be playing exceptionally well in the big games, and/or doing things that influence the outcome of the game, in Croke Park, in the AI semi final and final in particular. Point me towards the games where Aidan O'Shea did that and I will gladly give him an All Star.

maigheo

Jaysus Beffs ,but you post more rubbish than Syferus and Indiana put together and that is saying something.

Beffs

That's ok Maigheo, I'd hardly expect someone from Mayo to be able to look at any criticism of the Beast of Breaffy, without getting their knickers in a twist. Sacred cows and all that....

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Beffs on November 07, 2015, 01:54:05 AM
That's ok Maigheo, I'd hardly expect someone from Mayo to be able to look at any criticism of the Beast of Breaffy, without getting their knickers in a twist. Sacred cows and all that....
It was touch and go to see whether he'd get one alright. I thought Parsons had a better chance of getting one. Keegan, for me was Mayo's only 'nailed on' all star.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Not crazy about the all stars but pretty much in agreement with the ones picked last night although I never quite understand how they are picked. What I mean by that is , what if Sweeney had of held his composure and we beat the dubs and went onto beat  Kerry in a sloppy final where no player stood out ,we would of got 6/7 Al stars . It's a bit of a nonsense in that regard .

Would of thought Philly McMahon was poty imo.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Quote from: straightred on November 06, 2015, 11:59:14 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 06, 2015, 11:35:28 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on November 06, 2015, 11:11:16 PM
Don't think AOS really deserved one. He was marked out of the semi final and final. Delighted for matty Donnelly. Well deserved

Scored 1 point and fouled for 7 pointed frees in the two semi finals, not bad going

Paddy Andrews should have got the 3rd one in the FF line. Was outstanding at the business end of the championship when it mattered when lets be honest AOS wasn't. The other 2, McManus and Brogan, are pretty much automatic choices

For what it's worth (i.e. Nothing ;D), I think Andrews should have got one as well but to say AOS didn't contribute in the SFs is complete horsesh*t

Gold

I think McCaffrey has (already) had better years

Thin B Brogan was POTY (although granted he too has had better years, although he was still the best this year)

Quigley kicked 14 points v Antrim....similar level to Sligo and was lethal all year. But if u don't get to the last four its nearly impossible to win an all-star. McManus the only non semi finalist...but he kicked a few wonder scores in a televised Ulster Final and a few in the quarters to keep the score respectable v Tyrone...Quigley didn't

Poor year again though. Gone are the days of clear POTYs like Stephen o Neill,  etc.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Syferus

Quote from: Gold on November 07, 2015, 10:28:50 AM
I think McCaffrey has (already) had better years

Thin B Brogan was POTY (although granted he too has had better years, although he was still the best this year)

Quigley kicked 14 points v Antrim....similar level to Sligo and was lethal all year. But if u don't get to the last four its nearly impossible to win an all-star. McManus the only non semi finalist...but he kicked a few wonder scores in a televised Ulster Final and a few in the quarters to keep the score respectable v Tyrone...Quigley didn't

Poor year again though. Gone are the days of clear POTYs like Stephen o Neill,  etc.

JOD was the clear PotY last year.

maigheo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 07, 2015, 07:40:14 AM
It was touch and go to see whether he'd get one alright. I thought Parsons had a better chance of getting one. Keegan, for me was Mayo's only 'nailed on' all star.
Not according to Ray Silke.In his article in the examiner he states that Keegan is the only selection that was wrong.Not sure what planet he is living on at the moment but there must not have been any coverage of Mayo's games this year

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on November 07, 2015, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 07, 2015, 07:40:14 AM
Not according to Ray Silke.In his article in the examiner he states that Keegan is the only selection that was wrong.Not sure what planet he is living on at the moment but there must not have been any coverage of Mayo's games this year

Ray Silke. I dunno. He's like a cut-price Brolly.

Keegan is the best HB in football, including the current PotY. Was immense for Mayo this year.

Tony Baloney

Mattie Donnelly went overboard on the fake tan by the looks of the Irish News today.

rrhf

Misprint... It was really David haselhoff in that pic.