AISF Mayo v Dublin

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

deiseach

Oh Mayo. Just when you think they can't get their fans hopes any higher only to chuck them out of the plane without a parachute . . . they are leaving the stratosphere for this one. Five point lead against Kerry going into injury time?

ONeill

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/john-bannon-worrying-week-ahead-for-philly-mcmahon-351110.html

That was impossible to referee.

Tomas not a fan of McQuillan going by his comments on last night's programme.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

westbound

On the Cillian O'connor incident

I have no idea if he let back his arm/elbow deliberately or not.

However, I can guarantee you two things

1)   If a defender had his two arms wrapped around my waist I'd let back my arm to free myself too
2)   If a defender had his two arms wrapped around my waist it's fairly easy for me to know where his head is going to be! (unless he is some kind of contortionist!)

The Aristocrat

Quote from: westbound on August 31, 2015, 10:20:13 AM

1)   If a defender had his two arms wrapped around my waist I'd let back my arm to free myself too
2)   If a defender had his two arms wrapped around my waist it's fairly easy for me to know where his head is going to be! (unless he is some kind of contortionist!)

Exactly it was deliberate, a one match ban will suffice.

straightred

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 31, 2015, 09:12:31 AM
Anybody any footage of the Connolly incident?  From what I saw at the time there is no way Keegan should have stayed on the pitch as he was the one who wrestled Connolly to the ground. 

From seeing the COC incident, it is fairly clear that there is no case to be answered.  He was trying to break free from a cheat.  Nothing sickens me as much as the acceptance that we seem to have for jersey pulling and holding in our games.  As previously mentioned, he was shouting and jestering towards the umpires, of course he is not going to intentionally leave a man needing 11 stitches while doing so.  Some people cut easier than others, surprising the extent of the gash considering it looked like he was hit with a straight arm.  O'Connor was trying to shake him off but cannot know where his face is in that incident. 

Cluxton kicked out too, should be hit with a ban as it was a red card offence.

Was thinking at the time that McMahon headbutted or tried to headbutt AOS, the only thing that convinced me otherwise was the honest reaction of AOS who didn't make a meal out of it. 

Yesterday again shows how flawed the rule book is when half of us don't understand where players can be for kick-outs etc.  Does the rule book actually 'mean' to enforce a kick-out by the 13m line?  Or is this another balls of a rule where the ambiguity allows us to interpret it in that it can simply travel 13m any direction?

As well as that, how pathetic is it that we have a system that when someone commits a violent act and due to a referee's ineptitude or simply not seeing it 100% only gets a yellow and cannot be retrospectively punished no matter how damning the video evidence is.  Surely in Coopers case, yellow card or not he should face the punishment he deserves.  This should be the same for all players who act the thug.

You failed to mention that cluxtons kick came from what should have been a black card for ose. When you look at the blacks that were given it just shows that the ref was afraid to put the star man off.

I do think coc has a case to answer and if anything is done to anyone then his name will be in the mix. He retaliated and stuck out. Probably him, and mcmahon to get bans but i expect it will be both or neither.

Cooper should have walked but I think the rules will protect him. Keegan the same.

There'll be plenty of late night meetings this week

nrico2006

Quote from: straightred on August 31, 2015, 10:41:57 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 31, 2015, 09:12:31 AM
Anybody any footage of the Connolly incident?  From what I saw at the time there is no way Keegan should have stayed on the pitch as he was the one who wrestled Connolly to the ground. 

From seeing the COC incident, it is fairly clear that there is no case to be answered.  He was trying to break free from a cheat.  Nothing sickens me as much as the acceptance that we seem to have for jersey pulling and holding in our games.  As previously mentioned, he was shouting and jestering towards the umpires, of course he is not going to intentionally leave a man needing 11 stitches while doing so.  Some people cut easier than others, surprising the extent of the gash considering it looked like he was hit with a straight arm.  O'Connor was trying to shake him off but cannot know where his face is in that incident. 

Cluxton kicked out too, should be hit with a ban as it was a red card offence.

Was thinking at the time that McMahon headbutted or tried to headbutt AOS, the only thing that convinced me otherwise was the honest reaction of AOS who didn't make a meal out of it. 

Yesterday again shows how flawed the rule book is when half of us don't understand where players can be for kick-outs etc.  Does the rule book actually 'mean' to enforce a kick-out by the 13m line?  Or is this another balls of a rule where the ambiguity allows us to interpret it in that it can simply travel 13m any direction?

As well as that, how pathetic is it that we have a system that when someone commits a violent act and due to a referee's ineptitude or simply not seeing it 100% only gets a yellow and cannot be retrospectively punished no matter how damning the video evidence is.  Surely in Coopers case, yellow card or not he should face the punishment he deserves.  This should be the same for all players who act the thug.

You failed to mention that cluxtons kick came from what should have been a black card for ose. When you look at the blacks that were given it just shows that the ref was afraid to put the star man off.

I do think coc has a case to answer and if anything is done to anyone then his name will be in the mix. He retaliated and stuck out. Probably him, and mcmahon to get bans but i expect it will be both or neither.

Cooper should have walked but I think the rules will protect him. Keegan the same.

There'll be plenty of late night meetings this week

You are right about O'Shea, but again that is a result of the failings we have with officials.  They don't like making big calls on big players most of the time, they don't like awarding penalties and if they give one you will be lucky to get another and they also don't like dishing out red cards etc early on.  Referees should be impartial and not have their decisions influenced by where an offence happens (i.e. to get a penalty it seems that the foul threshold is higher than the free threshold out the pitch, when it shouldn't), who is involved, when it happens or by how many other big calls have already been made.  I can't see this being changed anytime soon.  Are umpires still just 'friends of the ref'?  If so, this really needs to be stopped as it just seems so unprofessional.  It beggers belief some of the calls that are/are not made by umpires on a game by game basis.  It just seems like most of them are some oul boys who were dragged from the bar.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Talks a good game

Re Cooper.   Past experience has shown that if the media make enough fuss about an incident a ban could be applied, even if a yellow card was given at the time.
According to the RTE commentators it was only a knock, and its unlikely that the Dublin media will start the bandwagon a la McCann.

AZOffaly

Umpires cannot make 'calls', other than wides, 45s or scores. An Umpire can't give a penalty.

blast05

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 31, 2015, 10:22:18 AM
Quote from: westbound on August 31, 2015, 10:20:13 AM

Exactly it was deliberate, a one match ban will suffice.

Please explain why he would hit someone in the face (with his forearm) having waved his arms to get the umpires attention a half a second beforehand ....was he trying to get their attention so they could see him 'hitting' O'Carroll ?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 30, 2015, 10:43:14 PM
Cooper got a yellow for his crude tackle/jump so that's incident dealt with, i dont think they can come back to it and upgrade the card or can they, as they can downgrade cards given so surely the same works vice verse?

It's not soccer lads, none of that shite

GAA, they do what they want!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

squire_in_navy_slacks

When do the cccc meet buckos surely not Thursday ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 31, 2015, 11:10:36 AM
When do the cccc meet buckos surely not Thursday ?

Ara whenever they get around to it, sure what's the rush. Unless the Sunday Game tell them they have to jump to it of course.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: StephenC on August 31, 2015, 09:46:06 AM
One of the clearest cases of forearm gouging I've seen in a long time.

I laughed.

No mention of the mayo penalty, which was soft until you see McMahon throwing two digs into Boyler while he's on the ground.

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ONeill

The good thing about all this is that Tyrone now look like a group of choirboys.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 31, 2015, 11:17:42 AM
Quote from: StephenC on August 31, 2015, 09:46:06 AM
One of the clearest cases of forearm gouging I've seen in a long time.

I laughed.

No mention of the mayo penalty, which was soft until you see McMahon throwing two digs into Boyler while he's on the ground.

Connolly is going to get off because of the Kevin Keane incident so O Connor will probably get away with it

Gaa were really silly to rescind Keanes red because they've opened the floodgates now