List of things that Tyrone have never done

Started by Darby, August 08, 2015, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 12:32:55 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 10, 2015, 12:28:42 PM
I don't believe there was a conspiracy against Mickey Harte. However, if you can't understand a father's rage at the organisation that poured salt into the wounds caused by the murder of his daughter then behaved afterwards as if it were no big thing, fine. I'm sure you'd be dispassionate enough to differentiate between the various parts of said organisation and work in the national interest if a similar fate ever befell you.

I be pissed off at the person who did it, certainly.

It doesn't require dispassion to see the different between the person who did something wrong, and punishing everyone in the class.

Muppet, I think that's easy for you to say. Please God none of us will be in that position, but if I were Mickey Harte, I think I'd just say 'f**k RTE' and get on with coaching Tyrone. I wonder how much of RTE's analysis of Tyrone is coloured by this boycott. Is that professional of them?

All that said, I suspect the Brian Carthy angle is another reason, and that seems far more petty. Mickey may just not like RTE. Anyway, if that's what he wants to do, and if he feels strongly about it, fair enough.

deiseach

I don't believe there was a conspiracy against Mickey Harte. However, if you can't understand a father's rage at the organisation that poured salt into the wounds caused by the murder of his daughter then behaved afterwards as if it were no big thing, fine. I'm sure you'd be dispassionate enough to differentiate between the various parts of said organisation and work in the national interest if a similar fate ever befell you.

It doesn't require dispassion to see the different between the person who did something wrong, and punishing everyone in the class.

A ludicrous comparison. You really have lost all sense of proportion here.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 12:37:40 PM

Muppet, I think that's easy for you to say. Please God none of us will be in that position, but if I were Mickey Harte, I think I'd just say 'f**k RTE' and get on with coaching Tyrone. I wonder how much of RTE's analysis of Tyrone is coloured by this boycott. Is that professional of them?

All that said, I suspect the Brian Carthy angle is another reason, and that seems far more petty. Mickey may just not like RTE. Anyway, if that's what he wants to do, and if he feels strongly about it, fair enough.

I don't see why it is easy for me to say.

I am guessing you would still talk to Michéal O'Mhuircheartaigh if he showed up with a tape recorder. Or would you boycott him because he is RTE?

AFAIK Brian Carthy still works for RTE. Is he boycotted as well?

Harte, like me, is entitled to his opinion. I just disagree with it and I think it does damage to Tyrone at this stage. My opinion on this doesn't matter and doesn't damage my, my employer or my team.

I agree it would be very unprofessional for pundits to change their view of Tyrone football because of the boycott. But human nature is human nature.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on August 10, 2015, 12:43:05 PM

A ludicrous comparison. You really have lost all sense of proportion here.

Wow. Do you think everyone is RTE should be held responsible for that skit?

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 12:44:37 PM

I am guessing you would still talk to Michéal O'Mhuircheartaigh if he showed up with a tape recorder. Or would you boycott him because he is RTE?

Harte, like me, is entitled to his opinion. I just disagree with it and I think it does damage to Tyrone at this stage. My opinion on this doesn't matter and doesn't damage my, my employer or my team.

I agree it would be very unprofessional for pundits to change their view of Tyrone football because of the boycott. But human nature is human nature.

I think it's easy for you to be coldly analytic about the scope of RTE's involvement in the skit and/or the depth of Mickey's reaction to it, and that he should be able to compartmentalise. It may not be that easy for him, or he may feel it is not as isolated as you seem to think. Either way, it's easy for someone on the outside to say he should just get on with it and separate that awful sketch from the  RTE sports department.

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 12:48:27 PM

No. I also don't think everyone at the Sun was responsible for The Truth headline but (amongst other reasons) I don't buy the paper because of it.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 12:51:18 PM

I think it's easy for you to be coldly analytic about the scope of RTE's involvement in the skit and/or the depth of Mickey's reaction to it, and that he should be able to compartmentalise. It may not be that easy for him, or he may feel it is not as isolated as you seem to think. Either way, it's easy for someone on the outside to say he should just get on with it and separate that awful sketch from the  RTE sports department.

Mikey Harte is a journalist himself these days and has been for a while. He uses his high profile to campaign on lots of issues. He is part of the media and uses it frequently when it suits.

He is no gombeen.

Here is a statement from around the time of the start of the boycott:

http://www.balls.ie/uncategorized/mickey-harte-and-tyrone-explain-rte-boycott/17611

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on August 10, 2015, 12:58:20 PM

No. I also don't think everyone at the Sun was responsible for The Truth headline but (amongst other reasons) I don't buy the paper because of it.

Good analogy. I have never bought the Sun, nor will I read anything from the Sun for the same reason. In fact I should be able to watch Sun Goals as a Sky Sports customer, but I just can't bring myself to get the free app. Maybe Mickey Harte, with far stronger personal motivation, see things similarly.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on August 10, 2015, 12:58:20 PM

Would you refuse to talk to deal with everyone who works for Murdock? Do you have Sky?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 01:01:35 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 12:51:18 PM

Mikey Harte is a journalist himself these days and has been for a while. He uses his high profile to campaign on lots of issues. He is part of the media and uses it frequently when it suits.

He is no gombeen.

Here is a statement from around the time of the start of the boycott:

http://www.balls.ie/uncategorized/mickey-harte-and-tyrone-explain-rte-boycott/17611

That's a non-sequitor. Harte is in the Media and RTE are in the Media, so Harte should be willing to talk to them.

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 01:03:12 PM
Would you refuse to talk to deal with everyone who works for Murdock? Do you have Sky?

I subscribe to Sky and occasionally read the Times. But I know plenty of people who boycott everything Murdoch. I understand why they do and would never sneer at them for doing so.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 01:04:26 PM
That's a non-sequitor. Harte is in the Media and RTE are in the Media, so Harte should be willing to talk to them.

That's sophistry.

Those are your words and was not my point. I qualified the statement with the next statement.

'He is no gombeen'.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on August 10, 2015, 01:05:41 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 01:03:12 PM

I subscribe to Sky and occasionally read the Times. But I know plenty of people who boycott everything Murdoch. I understand why they do and would never sneer at them for doing so.

Thank you for twisting my point that I simply disagree with him, to 'sneering'.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

It's irrelevant. I know he's no gombeen, but whether he is in the media, or 'uses' it is not relevant to how he genuinely feels about RTE following the Michaela skit. If he feels they were disgraceful, and if he feels he has a beef with RTE, then he is within his rights to not talk to them.

And I can't see how someone looking in from the outside can possibly tell how Mickey Harte feels about something like that.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 01:10:13 PM
It's irrelevant. I know he's no gombeen, but whether he is in the media, or 'uses' it is not relevant to how he genuinely feels about RTE following the Michaela skit. If he feels they were disgraceful, and if he feels he has a beef with RTE, then he is within his rights to not talk to them.

And I can't see how someone looking in from the outside can possibly tell how Mickey Harte feels about something like that.

I am not telling him how to feel or how he feels!

Why the need to put words in my mouth or twist my argument?

I simply disagree with it and think it damages Tyrone.
MWWSI 2017