Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: winghalfun on August 12, 2015, 12:04:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PUAgnrJR_4

I remember watching this when it first came out.

Interesting to note that not one of the highlighted (bad) incidents features Tyrone yet the rules were shoehorned in reaction to RTE and a Sean Cavanagh tackle.

(First 10 to 15 minutes only)

Circle the wagons lads because another attack is on the way.

Incorrect, and it gets on my wick when people keep saying this. The Black Card Rule was brought in at the Congress in the spring BEFORE Cavanagh's tackle. What Brolly did (like a gobshite) was make Cavanagh's tackle a cause celebre for what the black card would stop (and was completely incorrect).

I'm going to get bumper stickers made up. Black Card was Before Sean Cavanagh's Tackle. BCBSCT.

Bingo

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 12, 2015, 12:06:20 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2015, 12:00:31 PM
Whats amazing in all this is that no-one has started a facebook campaign or petition to get McCann off.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Supporting-Tiernan-McCann/964948586880172?fref=ts

;D

Brillant! Some great posts including flying a Tyrone flag in support of him. Feck me, ye love a flag in the North.

Armamike

Martyrdom and cult hero status starting to kick in. Free McCann!
That's just, like your opinion man.

tyroneboi

Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2015, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on August 12, 2015, 12:06:20 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2015, 12:00:31 PM
Whats amazing in all this is that no-one has started a facebook campaign or petition to get McCann off.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Supporting-Tiernan-McCann/964948586880172?fref=ts

;D

Brillant! Some great posts including flying a Tyrone flag in support of him. Feck me, ye love a flag in the North.

Free the Killyclogher one!!

That page is almost as embarrassing at the original incident!

LeoMc

Quote from: 6th sam on August 12, 2015, 11:52:50 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 12, 2015, 11:45:49 AM
Did McCanns actions bring the game into any more disrepute than the Davy Byrne incident and the CCC's subsequent handling of it?

Do Brollys eloquent but vitriolic attacks on the likes of Marty Duffy and Sean Cavanagh not bring the game into disrepute?
Absolutely
Is the dive worse than breaking a mans jaw because it is on live TV?

stibhan

Do Brollys eloquent but vitriolic attacks on the likes of Marty Duffy and Sean Cavanagh not bring the game into disrepute?

Brolly's playing days are over. What are you going to do, ban him from the stadium for having an opinion? Not let him coach an u-14 team?

rrhf

Je suis Tiernan T shirts now available in Cookstown..

AZOffaly

Syferus

Quote from: LeoMc on August 12, 2015, 12:46:30 PM
Did McCanns actions bring the game into any more disrepute than the Davy Byrne incident and the CCC's subsequent handling of it?

Absolutely

20 grand in fines is hardly getting off scott free.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2015, 02:12:19 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 12, 2015, 12:46:30 PM

Absolutely

20 grand in fines is hardly getting off scott free.

What punishment did the players receive?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:44:22 AM
Did you see the video link I posted of O'Mahony, Shields, O'Shea and Lundy. Each of them feigned injury to the face. If McCann deserves 8 weeks, each of them did too. So why did they not get it.

I hate diving, I want lads punished for pretending to be hurt to get lads sent off, but you can't base your disciplinery approach on Twitter or Colm O'Rourke. To do so in the middle of the year, while ignoring similar incidents in the same year, is bordering on blatant unfairness.

Bring a proper rule in next season, and enforce it rigorously by all means. Institute review panels for televised games. All of that, brilliant. No problem with it. I just don't like the way this incident is being handled.

You have outlined why and how Tiernan McCann will get out of this charge and also what needs to be done to make sure all these cheats are nailed next year and thereafter.

The GAA gets itself into this kind of trouble by refusing to enforce its own rules. There is a terrible attitude towards rules and discipline throughout the GAA, from the top down.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 12, 2015, 02:51:03 PM
Did you see the video link I posted of O'Mahony, Shields, O'Shea and Lundy. Each of them feigned injury to the face. If McCann deserves 8 weeks, each of them did too. So why did they not get it.

I hate diving, I want lads punished for pretending to be hurt to get lads sent off, but you can't base your disciplinery approach on Twitter or Colm O'Rourke. To do so in the middle of the year, while ignoring similar incidents in the same year, is bordering on blatant unfairness.

Bring a proper rule in next season, and enforce it rigorously by all means. Institute review panels for televised games. All of that, brilliant. No problem with it. I just don't like the way this incident is being handled.

You have outlined why and how Tiernan McCann will get out of this charge and also what needs to be done to make sure all these cheats are nailed next year and thereafter.

The GAA gets itself into this kind of trouble by refusing to enforce its own rules. There is a terrible attitude towards rules and discipline throughout the GAA, from the top down.

+1 Rules are there to be bypassed/bent/ignored/challenged(often on technicality)/used rather than applied.

If a review was undertaken I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the bans imposed are quashed or halved on appeal. I'd actually reckon those imposing the ban set it, so that it will be halved on appeal - "we'll give him 8 weeks, he'll appeal and get 4 weeks", "grand, will I order the steaks now?".

LeoMc

Quote from: stibhan on August 12, 2015, 01:32:00 PM

Brolly's playing days are over. What are you going to do, ban him from the stadium for having an opinion? Not let him coach an u-14 team?

No thoughts on banning him, I am just curious as to the arbitrary usage of this particular rule.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 12, 2015, 02:51:03 PM

Including and especially on match day. There is a rule for simulation, we see it all the time but how often have we seen a card for it? Very rarely to my mind.

If McCann had been shown a yellow at the time there would be no fuss. If Shields had been shown a yellow it wouldn't even be mentioned. Of course that is to place a bigger burden on the ref but that is precisely the problem. He needs better assistance and/or resources from other officials and the GAA.

All matches from the quarter finals are played in Croke Park these days, there is no excuse for not having a TMO process for matches in CP, whatever about other grounds. If grounds want to be considered for Provincial Finals it shouldn't be too hard to insist that this (TMO facility) is part of the required standard. That would cover everything from Provincial Finals onwards.

It appears from my neutral perspective that some prominent GAA people are tired of Tyrone and their perceived 'antics'. But treating them differently to everyone else isn't going to help that. If anything, reading some of the more hysterical posts here, it will make things worse.
MWWSI 2017

Hound

I'm not a fan of Tyrone. I think Sean Cavanagh, while being a excellent footballer, is a flat-out cheat - exaggerates every tussle he's involved in. Every team has some element of divers and cheats, but none come anywhere near the systemic nature of Tyrone. What I don't understand is why the fans are so defensive when they are criticised. Why would they care if they are liked or not? They played some fabulous football in between, cutting through the Monaghan defence like a knife through butter. Fast flowing football, with a cutting edge. That's what I'd concentrate on if I was a Tyronie.

But to the point - its an absolute nonsense to suggest young McCann has brought the Association into disrepute. Nonsense.

He made a stupid mistake. The ref should have yellow carded him and made a diving motion, which would have embarrassed him in front of the crowd and no doubt would have led to him getting an earful from Monaghan players. With the ref missing it, the GAA should have announced that Hughes suspension is nullified because McCann dived. That, on top of the media coverage, is exactly a just punishment for McCann under our rules. Embarrassment. He's going to be remembered for it for a good few years.

But McCann, in no way, has brought the Association into disrepute. I don't think people reailse what a high level charge that is.
But nobody outside the Association would give a flying fig about a player feigning injury, so it just doesn't apply.

The Cork County board statement castigating a ref was far more worthy of a charge of bringing the game into disrepute.
In fact, the people who have brought this charge against McCann are more guilty of the charge than McCann. Its trumped up nonsense, with no validity whatsover, and will make the Association a laughing stock.