Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: laceer on August 12, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
Even Brolly is on twitter saying that the ban is completely wrong

You boys are now listening to Brolly?  ;)

rrhf

Strange boy brolly. Lives in contrary land..He is right this time of course.   
Ian Paisley  used to drive the mob out into the streets with his sensationalist and passionate rantings.  When the mob acted as you would expect, paisley would wash his hands too.
A top Kerry player took a dive in the munster final to get a goal from a penalty and hypocritically many of us were criticising cork for criticising their bad luck last week.  Why because the game was over (now we are doing the same ourselves over a less significant incident) and also perhaps it was because we close ranks over kerry misdemeanours...We are complete hypocrites in our organisation

Armamike

Sadly there's a danger this will turn McCann into some sort of martyr.
That's just, like your opinion man.

AZOffaly

Quote from: rrhf on August 12, 2015, 09:28:10 AM
Ian Paisley  used to drive the mob out into the streets with his sensationalist and passionate rantings.  When the mob acted as you would expect, paisley would wash his hands too.
A top Kerry player took a dive in the munster final to get a goal from a penalty and hypocritically many of us were criticising cork for criticising their bad luck last week.  Why because the game was over (now we are doing the same ourselves over a less significant incident) and also perhaps it was because we close ranks over kerry misdemeanours...We are complete hypocrites in our organisation

Don't do that. Don't start this into a pursuit of Kerry. Ye have a proper case here, don't start muddying the waters. Paul Galvin, Tomás O'Sé and others would dispute the fact that Kerry misdemeanors are glossed over.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 09:31:21 AM

Don't do that. Don't start this into a pursuit of Kerry. Ye have a proper case here, don't start muddying the waters. Paul Galvin, Tomás O'Sé and others would dispute the fact that Kerry misdemeanors are glossed over.
As Indiana has repeatedly pointed out, the GAA media is full of Kerrymen. Its definitely Kerry's fault that McCann has been banned!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 09:35:12 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 09:31:21 AM

As Indiana has repeatedly pointed out, the GAA media is full of Kerrymen. Its definitely Kerry's fault that McCann has been banned!

Shaddup :D

rrhf

No way will I widen the net.  But a munster title was arguably lost on a dive this year and last week we all got tucked into cork for having their winge.   On week later and the same happens at the end of a one sided quarter final and had no impact on the result.  I'm not getting at kerry as in this regrettable incident they were not involved but applying some context for our persecution complex... ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: rrhf on August 12, 2015, 09:36:52 AM
No way will I widen the net.  But a munster title was arguably lost on a dive this year and last week we all got tucked into cork for having their winge.   On week later and the same happens at the end of a one sided quarter final and had no impact on the result.  I'm not getting at kerry as in this regrettable incident they were not involved but applying some context for our persecution complex...

I agree. I'm with ye on this one, but this nonsense doesn't need specific Kerry whataboutery. All we have to do is look at similar incidents and ask 'why not an 8 week ban for that?'. I posted 4 of them above (ironically 1 with a Kerryman, oops!). What's the difference?

I'd be very interested to know what that difference is. Why is McCann's act disreputable, but Shields, O'Mahoney, O'Shea's and Lundy's not disreputable?

I think they are all poor acts, and all worthy of similar punishment. Drive Diving Out, but a witchhunt against 1 player is ridiculous.

WT4E

When you consider the rule for this is clearly stated in the official guide under 5.4 which rules the punishment as a yellow card you have to wonder about the type of idiots making these decisions!!!!

I hope in next years rule book that this type of thing is punishable by suspension but currently it isn't.

Will the people who have came up with this suspension be subject to a written or verbal warning when it is rescinded - I know it is standard work practice in the workplace that if an employee does something so badly wrong that this is usually the case!

Also who is Marty Duffy answering to in all of this - he made a monumental error and didn't even take time to consult his other officials!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 09:22:24 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 12, 2015, 08:32:25 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2015, 08:31:06 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 12, 2015, 08:25:51 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2015, 08:16:18 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2015, 08:11:04 AM
I would say Fergal Logan will be on the case....
Not sure he'll be needed. The rule book states that it's a yellow card but CCCCCCCCC give him an 8 week suspension. How daft is that?

The charge will clearly be 'Bringing the association into disrepute' - defined as what behaving in a way the ordinary person would deem as wrong.

The charge should be defended fully by CHC as far as needed and anyone engaging in diving or acting the bollox in general should be charged the same.
He feigned injury to gain an advantage. There is a clearly defined rule in the rule book. Anything else is trumped up bullshit.

There is a clear rule which is unlikely to be overturned and they're fully correct in charging him with it.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for this kind of behaviour.

I agree with a lot of that. I hate diving, and I have oft yearned for it to be added to the list of black card offences. However I can't agree that this was the right thing to do in these circumstances heffo. How on earth can you single him out for a disrepute charge when lads dive or feign injury almost every game we play?  The disrepute charge has to be along the lines of 'feigning injury in order to get an opponent sent off'. And I agree, it was a pathetic act, and an act of a cheater. But how is it much different from any of the following?

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/gifs-following-michael-shields-fall-recalling-3-other-notorious-dives-in-the-gaa/302098

Some of these are quite recent, and all of them involve a man feigning injury in order to get a man in trouble. Aidan O'Mahony might say he was at least clipped by Shields, but the thought process, such as it is, has to be the same. 'Chance here to get a lad in trouble, down I go, face grasp, roll in agony'.

Each of those incidents are in the same vein in my view, so why is McCann charged? I can only think it's because of the media spotlight, and that is very very wrong and very very dangerous as a precedent. The NFL is going down that road in America, and they are f**king themselves because of it.

I like to think I'm fair about these things, and I know in the past the Tyrone lads think I've been hard on them, but in this case I'm 100% behind them. They have a problem with mouthing and acting the maggot, and I think this may be the chickens coming home to roost, but it's completely unfair and has the feel of being made up.

By all means bring in a rule that says diving or feigning injury are going to be dealt with retrospectively and involve suspensions, or are black card offences on the day if spotted by the ref. By all means drive this shite out of our games. But don't do it as a knee jerk reaction to a tirade on the Sunday Game, which is motivated partly by the fact that the guilty party is from Tyrone.

It's unfair, it's draconian and most of all, it proves our association can be led around by the nose by bolloxes in the media.

Rant over :)
Great post.
I would be all for bring in retrospective punishments for this type of thing, but dont just pick out one incident and throw a 8 week suspension at it because colm orourke says so.
I said back when the black card came in (which I was against) that if it is to come in, diving and feigning injury ahs to be a black card offence also.
I think that would be a start.
8 weeks though, that is bizarre and OTT
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bingo

Do I think that this ban is right and will hold - no.

Should Marty Duffy get the 8 week ban - yes.

Do I have any sympathy with Tyrone - no.

One of the favourite lines in GAA land is about the dishonest, cheating, unmanliness of soccer players as they dive and cheat their way through games/seasons. The fact that this is becoming more and more prevalent in the GAA is often deflected and countered by accusing other teams/players of doing more/first/often. If this is the start of a focus on this behaviour by all teams and a message that such behaviour will have zero tolerance, than maybe we should such it up. Many ex-soccer pros and commentators are calling for this exact type of action. In an ideal world the ref would get these right (Marty Duffy has no excuse for missing it) but its often not possible. So are the GAA going to do this after every match?

And yes, Rory Beggan was at the same carrying on in the game. Michael Shields before him and Aidan O'Mahony before him. No action taken but this has to start somewhere. Is the difference in this instance the fact that the player succeeded in his intentions? Shields didn't, Beggan didn't but McCann got his man as such?

Disillusioned

Quote from: GJL on August 12, 2015, 09:11:10 AM
RTE really are desperate that Tyrone don't make it to the AI final and God forbid win it. Would be hilarious to see them standing cap in hand outside a shut door at the City West. Fcuk them.

Not as exceptional as you might think.  It wouldn't be the first time that someone turned up at the City West hoping it was All Ireland weekend and was severely disappointed.
The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

orangeman

There has to be consistency here.

Either all players and counties are treated the same or they're not.

The only way to do this IMO is have a citing commissioner ala rugby. Having O'Rourke spout on the Sunday game about this on Sunday night and then for those in the CCC to react is pathetic, and the RTE / Tyrone issues thrown in for good measure.

You couldn't make it up.

AZOffaly

Quote from: WT4E on August 12, 2015, 09:53:57 AM
When you consider the rule for this is clearly stated in the official guide under 5.4 which rules the punishment as a yellow card you have to wonder about the type of idiots making these decisions!!!!

I hope in next years rule book that this type of thing is punishable by suspension but currently it isn't.

Will the people who have came up with this suspension be subject to a written or verbal warning when it is rescinded - I know it is standard work practice in the workplace that if an employee does something so badly wrong that this is usually the case!

Also who is Marty Duffy answering to in all of this - he made a monumental error and didn't even take time to consult his other officials!

Well, I would expect he has been done under the 'disrepute' rule, rather than the 'simulation' rule.  Has anyone the wording for that?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2015, 10:03:33 AM
Do I think that this ban is right and will hold - no.

Should Marty Duffy get the 8 week ban - yes.

Do I have any sympathy with Tyrone - no.

One of the favourite lines in GAA land is about the dishonest, cheating, unmanliness of soccer players as they dive and cheat their way through games/seasons. The fact that this is becoming more and more prevalent in the GAA is often deflected and countered by accusing other teams/players of doing more/first/often. If this is the start of a focus on this behaviour by all teams and a message that such behaviour will have zero tolerance, than maybe we should such it up. Many ex-soccer pros and commentators are calling for this exact type of action. In an ideal world the ref would get these right (Marty Duffy has no excuse for missing it) but its often not possible. So are the GAA going to do this after every match?

And yes, Rory Beggan was at the same carrying on in the game. Michael Shields before him and Aidan O'Mahony before him. No action taken but this has to start somewhere. Is the difference in this instance the fact that the player succeeded in his intentions? Shields didn't, Beggan didn't but McCann got his man as such?

Do you honestly think if Bernard Brogan takes a dive against Mayo that the CCCC will ban him for 8 weeks?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone