Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on August 10, 2015, 10:58:53 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2015, 10:47:21 AM
There's no way Duffy could've known for sure what the intentions were of either player. An arrogant call. Having watched it a few times I don't know.

In fairness if any ref was trying to ref the game based on what they thought was the intentions of a player we'd be in trouble! They can only ref what they see. In my eyes he got it right, plenty of other times he got it wrong including a big call on Finlay leaving the pitch before he did.

It was far from a game changer and we have seen more black cards not given than given in the championship, including a few against Monaghan in Ulster.

Bingo, for the Black Card the ref HAS to gauge intentions. The rule says a 'deliberate' pull down or whatever. So to give a black card the ref has to ask two things. Is it a foul designated as cynical per the rule? Is it deliberate? Only if the answer is yes, yes can he give a black.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 11:07:53 AM
Quote from: Bingo on August 10, 2015, 10:58:53 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2015, 10:47:21 AM
There's no way Duffy could've known for sure what the intentions were of either player. An arrogant call. Having watched it a few times I don't know.

In fairness if any ref was trying to ref the game based on what they thought was the intentions of a player we'd be in trouble! They can only ref what they see. In my eyes he got it right, plenty of other times he got it wrong including a big call on Finlay leaving the pitch before he did.

It was far from a game changer and we have seen more black cards not given than given in the championship, including a few against Monaghan in Ulster.

Bingo, for the Black Card the ref HAS to gauge intentions. The rule says a 'deliberate' pull down or whatever. So to give a black card the ref has to ask two things. Is it a foul designated as cynical per the rule? Is it deliberate? Only if the answer is yes, yes can he give a black.

Yes, he has to decide if its deliberate or accidental.

AZOffaly

Isn't that gauging the intentions?

ONeill

IT'S IN HIS EYES!!! YOU CAN SEE IT IN HIS EYES!!!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Keyser soze

What can any Tyrone person expect? You have deified a man who was the epitome of a cheat regardless of what talents he had.

Made an art form out of grabbing jerseys and pulling men over to win frees, lying down and feigning injury to get people sent off etc and is lauded as the greatest footballer ever.

No wonder your current crop are proud of the nonsense that masquerades as football. An embarassment to the GAA family.

AZOffaly

Lads the hyperbole is ridiculous. Tyrone do some stuff they shouldn't, no doubt about it. It's disappointing to see and I actually don't think they need to do it. But all this stuff being shouted from the rooftops is nuts.

Wildweasel74

Hughes went to block his run, had the lad run into Hughes there was a chance he be black carded, he put his arms round Hughes and went to ground trying to get Hughes black carded, trying to get another player sidelined backfired on him. it was a 50 50 call put it was brinkmanship that back fired on him, Meyler knew exactly what he was doing.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 11:21:27 AM
Isn't that gauging the intentions?

Maybe my point was lost in the way I put it. A ref will never know the players intentions, they can only make the call on how they see it. Gauging rather than knowing, if you want. O'neills point (which is true) is that he can't know what intentions of either player was, he can't know it unless he is Paul the Octopus! He has to make the call on how he see's it, what he deems his intentions where - deliberate or accidental. 90% of the wronged player will say he got it wrong and that it was accidental.

WeeDonns

-Thought it was a great game apart the last 10mins or so
-An embarrassing moment from a young player, but he'll learn from it.
-I thought a number of Tyrone lads were superb, led by Mattie Donnelly
-That period of play when Owen Duffy scored two crackers and Tyrone responded straight away was class

Anyone know if the game will be shown again this week or is available for download? Anyone use irishtorrents anymore?

Bingo

Moving on......

Big crossroads for Monaghan. Two big achievements for Monaghan this year, remaining and been competitive in the League and winning Ulster  - these have been too rare round Monaghan not to be savoured and celebrated. An All-Ireland semi-final would have been the icing on a cake.

Losing in the manner on Saturday was not the way you wanted to end it. The headlines will read that they are a one man team, lack discipline and rely on the Ulster template to win matches. The Croke Park factor and championship football will also hang over their heads.

Goes without saying they will need a freshness. Will be some retirements - Dick, Lennon, Finlay and possibly Gollogy. None of them certain and will not know until the championship draw is made which influenced a few decisions last year.

Thankfully they seemed to prepare for that this year and Monaghan played a lot of football without these players but they will still be missed and few obvious replacements in the squad. They will likely have to adapt their play somewhat to lessen the influence of a big midfield that they will have and big midfields that they will face.

I struggle to see too many obvious candidates in club football that will fill this void. Club championship will be interesting this year. One or two from U21's would be the height of it.

Hopefully O'Rourke will stay on, think he has committed to it. But you could see why he'd head off if the right challenge came up!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 11:27:28 AM
Lads the hyperbole is ridiculous. Tyrone do some stuff they shouldn't, no doubt about it. It's disappointing to see and I actually don't think they need to do it. But all this stuff being shouted from the rooftops is nuts.

Good to see this AZ. Some of the stuff on Saturday was really poor - McCann in particular - but the guff on here about Tyrone as the masters of darkness or something is laughable.  Its been going on for a while now and is very unpleasant.  Some in the media peddling this line should have a look at themselves.

Speaking of the media however I read Colm Keys calling on Tyrone to come out and make some kind of statement,  an apology indeed, over the McCann incident.  I would support that, it was an embarrassing moment and they should say he regrets it greatly - I'm sure he does - and that it won't happen again.  Letting it pass without comment is wrong.  Who knows, it might even start up a proper conversation about how widespread this shite is getting and how to to stop it, in 32 counties rather than just 1

Wildweasel74

Tyrone have been in run in in the Donegal Senior and Minor game, the tipp U-21 Final and sat game, and you wonder why there so much of a focus on Tyrone, Funny thing about it, if Donegal had beat Monaghan in the Ulster final i think they would have turned Tyrone over again yesterday

AZOffaly

They definitely do things they shouldn't. And they probably are involved in more than any other team, at the moment, but it's the hysteria I find ridiculous. And the thing about it is that eventually referees are going to start penalising Tyrone in the wrong because of reputation. That's why it's in Mickey Harte's interest I believe to pull the lads horns in a bit. There's no need to be talking shite or diving, but Tyrone are not the only team doing it, and Tyrone are not, contrary to opinion, the antichrist.

Esmarelda

I haven't read the full thread but is Duffy getting off cheaply here?

Apart from sending Hughes off for the McCann incident, when he went in to his umpires for McNamee's punch on the ground, the umpires clearly indicated a punching action to him yet he shows a yellow card.

omagh_gael

We are involved too consistently to burry the heads, however, some of the reactions to us and pontification of the purity of others is mindless. I agree that a brief interview with McCann to hold his hands up, say he was out of order and will learn from his mistakes will take the heat of Tyrone in general but more importantly for the lad himself. As AZ said, we will bear the brunt of this on some occasion when we are fully innocent, whether that's a conscious action by a ref or losing out on the majority of 50/50s as a result of an almost unconscious thought that he's a Tyrone man, he's probably pulling my leg here.