Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Very disappointing result and performance from Monaghan yesterday. The way that Tyrone cantered through the defence at times was mind-boggling. I've no doubt i'm biased, but I left thinking Tyrone won because Monaghan were bad, rather than Tyrone being good. It was probably an element of both.

Duffy was an awful ref - not the reason why we lost the game, but he didn't help matters. Cavanagh won a few ridiculously soft frees resulting in scores. I also think he made a massive contribution to the discipline breaking down at the end. Yes, from Monaghan's point of view, Kieran Hughes looked set for a sending off for a long time. Any indiscretion from Finlay is very out of character. The diving and faking injury is a blight on the game and should surely fall under the remit of the black card, which is after all intended to address cynical behaviour - the likes of the McCann and Michael Shields incidents should be dealt with more severely than with a black card. It's a difficult one for a ref to call on the spot, but retrospective match bans should be applied in those circumstances.

Anyway, beaten fair and square. Hard to accept, given that this Monaghan team is good enough to make the last 4 (even if I don't believe there's an AI in them). It takes a slight gloss of the year, but ending as Ulster Champions, another year in Division 1 - i'd have taken that at the start of the year. Possibly a few retirements before next year, which could be a big loss - I think the blend of old and new were a big factor in delivering the 2 Ulster titles.

As I said before the game, i'd take an Ulster title and a QF loss before a SF loss through the qualifiers. While Tyrone have surpassed expectations in reaching the SF, I expect Kerry to be a different proposition altogether, with a much superior mid-field and far more options up front.

Syferus

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 09, 2015, 12:34:34 PM
Very disappointing result and performance from Monaghan yesterday. The way that Tyrone cantered through the defence at times was mind-boggling. I've no doubt i'm biased, but I left thinking Tyrone won because Monaghan were bad, rather than Tyrone being good. It was probably an element of both.

Duffy was an awful ref - not the reason why we lost the game, but he didn't help matters. Cavanagh won a few ridiculously soft frees resulting in scores. I also think he made a massive contribution to the discipline breaking down at the end. Yes, from Monaghan's point of view, Kieran Hughes looked set for a sending off for a long time. Any indiscretion from Finlay is very out of character. The diving and faking injury is a blight on the game and should surely fall under the remit of the black card, which is after all intended to address cynical behaviour - the likes of the McCann and Michael Shields incidents should be dealt with more severely than with a black card. It's a difficult one for a ref to call on the spot, but retrospective match bans should be applied in those circumstances.

Anyway, beaten fair and square. Hard to accept, given that this Monaghan team is good enough to make the last 4 (even if I don't believe there's an AI in them). It takes a slight gloss of the year, but ending as Ulster Champions, another year in Division 1 - i'd have taken that at the start of the year. Possibly a few retirements before next year, which could be a big loss - I think the blend of old and new were a big factor in delivering the 2 Ulster titles.

As I said before the game, i'd take an Ulster title and a QF loss before a SF loss through the qualifiers. While Tyrone have surpassed expectations in reaching the SF, I expect Kerry to be a different proposition altogether, with a much superior mid-field and far more options up front.

So you expect Tyrone to take a dive in the next game is what you're saying?

Rodman

Quote from: muppet on August 09, 2015, 12:06:50 PM
Watching this again, McCann should have gotten a straight red for kicking Hughes: http://giant.gfycat.com/QualifiedConcreteLabradorretriever.mp4

It actually looks like Hughes was trying to pull his hair like but couldn't get a proper hold of it due to the amount of gel in it. Look at Hughes clinched fist.  Im no expert on hair ruffling but would you do it with a clenched fist. Why was he trying to pull his hair like a 5 year old girl  in the first place.  Regardless, McCann has made a complete embarrassment of himself and Tyrone by going down like that but there is no way Hughes was sent off for it as Duffy was walking over to them and must have seen it all. He got the line for what he did to Richie Donnelly. To be honest, had it been any other County there wouldn't have been half the uproar. Tyrone - the team everyone loves to hate

beer baron

Quote from: Rodman on August 09, 2015, 12:56:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 09, 2015, 12:06:50 PM
Watching this again, McCann should have gotten a straight red for kicking Hughes: http://giant.gfycat.com/QualifiedConcreteLabradorretriever.mp4

It actually looks like Hughes was trying to pull his hair like but couldn't get a proper hold of it due to the amount of gel in it. Look at Hughes clinched fist.  Im no expert on hair ruffling but would you do it with a clenched fist. Why was he trying to pull his hair like a 5 year old girl  in the first place.  Regardless, McCann has made a complete embarrassment of himself and Tyrone by going down like that but there is no way Hughes was sent off for it as Duffy was walking over to them and must have seen it all. He got the line for what he did to Richie Donnelly. To be honest, had it been any other County there wouldn't have been half the uproar. Tyrone - the team everyone loves to hate

I was thinking at the time Hughes challenge deserved a black card but had to head to work so haven't seen a replay,anywhere i could watch one?

charlieTully

Sidney your Jim Lynagh statement is a disgrace.

omagh_gael

Richie Donnelly had a fully closed over eye from a punch by Hughes, sky cameras showed one replay of it but when McCann intervened that, obviously, stole the limelight. Watch video as you can see Duffy already is in the motion of pulling his book out before Hughes made a grab for McCann.

Once again, McCann was way out of order for his subsequent action.

tonto1888

Quote from: Whishtup on August 09, 2015, 11:26:57 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 09, 2015, 11:09:42 AM
Quote from: Meadbh on August 09, 2015, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 09, 2015, 10:45:34 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2015, 02:06:25 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 09, 2015, 02:02:38 AM
McMahon did seem to be doing some serious slabbering on Tv, nearly a re-run of his brother at halftime in the Donegal game

Serious slabbering? What was he saying or who to? How many times did you see this 'serious slabbering'?

It was shown on tele a few times mate. ]He was yelling in general, pumping his fists but also he was saying a few things to the Monaghan players.  Not a lip reader so couldn't say whatever's happening but it didn't look to be said in a friendly manner

Same goes for every time the camera panned to McCarron. Consistently being slagged. Why zone in on Tyrone as sole purveyors of sledging? They were all at it.

Not saying they weren't. I was just answering a guys question

I'm sorry but Justin McMahon can't be dragged into this for yelling and pumping fists.  He got Irate with ref when Monaghan player went in late with the knee in the first half. Other than that he played a blinder.

I wasn't dragging him into it. I was just pointing out what the cameras had shown him doing. There was a lot more than telling and pumping his fists tho. He played alright

oakleafgael

Enjoyed the game yesterday although it all went a bit south for the last 10/15 minutes. You could see it developing from early in the match and while the blame will ultimately fall on the players who should have a bit more cop on, Duffy has to take his share of the blame. From the first minute he was being overly fussy on silly stupid things, slowing Tyrone kickouts up due to a Monaghan man not outside the 21 when it was obvious he was doing it to slow the kick outs down. Also he doesn't look fit enough to me and was looking for a breather a good few times when he called play back. I see Cavanagh is getting plenty of stick for diving for frees but it was poor defending on him numerous times to allow this to happen, McManus knows how to milk contact for frees as well looking at it yesterday, a bit to obvious on one occasion when he kicked the legs out behind himself. McCann should be embarrassed with that yesterday, Hughes was already gone for poleaxing Donnelly not that it makes any difference. Beggan and McCurry both lay down as well, although at least there was actual contact in both cases.

Anyway onto the football, was impressed with Tyrone in fits and starts. Wasn't a game for Bradley, Monaghan far to physical for him but Donnelly and Harte both dominated at different times to keep the scoreboard ticking over when it looked like Monaghan where starting to get going. One thing they really need to improve on is turning chances into goals. One in particular when Donnelly got has last point should have been a goal but poor running off the ball left him drifting out towards the corner rather than straight at goal, any of the other 3 teams left would have at least worked a shot at goal there and on several other occasions. At times in the last 15 minutes both Harte and Donnelly had the ball on their own 65 and there was acres of space in the full forward line with no sweeper, ball should have been played in.

Think they will give Kerry a game but that the Kerry bench looks to strong if a game changing sub is needed.

ONeill

Who was the Tyrone player who tamely kicked the ball to the Monaghan keeper from the Cusack side of the field when it looked like a 2-on-1. Was it McCarron or McCrory?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

reddgnhand

Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2015, 01:27:31 PM
Who was the Tyrone player who tamely kicked the ball to the Monaghan keeper from the Cusack side of the field when it looked like a 2-on-1. Was it McCarron or McCrory?

McCrory I just don't see what he brings to the table.

Gaffer

How many kicks of the ball did young Bradley get yesterday?

Not having a go just surprised he wasn't taken off !!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

tyroneboi

Think he was taken off with a few minutes to go. Just didn't get going at all yesterday guess he just had one of those days.

An Watcher

People see different things in games but I was impressed with Bradleys link up play yesterday. 

Beantown

The most glaring question has been missed by everybody though..... Where  did the pigeons get all the tickets from???????

barelegs

Quote from: Gaffer on August 09, 2015, 02:01:57 PM
How many kicks of the ball did young Bradley get yesterday?

Not having a go just surprised he wasn't taken off !!!

He was taken off. Richie Donnelly came on for him.