Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

That was some let down on Saturday. When alls said and done, Tyrone were the better team and deserved the win. We just didn't perform on the day, truth be told we haven't played well all championship. Even in the Ulster final we only really played well for a 10 minute spell either side of half time and were hanging on at the end. Part of me thought we'd improve for this one, but I suppose you can't just turn it on if you haven't been playing well for a while. Tyrone on the other hand built momentum steadily through the qualifiers and were primed for this. I underestimated the benefit of their run due to the teams they were playing, but really it was ideal for a young team like them looking to find their groove.

Some of the carry on near the end was embarrassing , I haven't read through the thread but I assume it's been discussed plenty so I won't dwell on it. On a positive note, some of Tyrone's players were fantastic, Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly particularly. Two talented lads who will run all day and don't seem to get involved in much of the off the ball shite. Both will be in the conversation for all-stars I'd say.

Quote from: Bingo on August 10, 2015, 11:49:41 AM
Moving on......

Big crossroads for Monaghan. Two big achievements for Monaghan this year, remaining and been competitive in the League and winning Ulster  - these have been too rare round Monaghan not to be savoured and celebrated. An All-Ireland semi-final would have been the icing on a cake.

Losing in the manner on Saturday was not the way you wanted to end it. The headlines will read that they are a one man team, lack discipline and rely on the Ulster template to win matches. The Croke Park factor and championship football will also hang over their heads.

Goes without saying they will need a freshness. Will be some retirements - Dick, Lennon, Finlay and possibly Gollogy. None of them certain and will not know until the championship draw is made which influenced a few decisions last year.

Thankfully they seemed to prepare for that this year and Monaghan played a lot of football without these players but they will still be missed and few obvious replacements in the squad. They will likely have to adapt their play somewhat to lessen the influence of a big midfield that they will have and big midfields that they will face.

I struggle to see too many obvious candidates in club football that will fill this void. Club championship will be interesting this year. One or two from U21's would be the height of it.

Hopefully O'Rourke will stay on, think he has committed to it. But you could see why he'd head off if the right challenge came up!

Agree with alot of that. It's been a great year but this does take a bit of gloss off it a wee bit. At the end of the day though we won Ulster and that will always be a reason to celebrate. It did look like a year where we could push on, but we just didn't grab that opportunity.

I think we'll see a couple of retirements alright, but not half the squad as the likes of Colm O'Rourke would have you believe. It's a young enough team on the whole, but the area we'll undoubtedly suffer most is midfield. Lennon and Dick are the obvious candidates you would think. If they stay then great, but they owe the county nothing. Also think Jap could go even though he's a bit younger, but he has a lot of miles on the clock and his influence has been lessening over the last few years. Then you've Dessie and Vinny of a similar age profile to Jap but they're good for a few years yet as long as they want it. Jinxy maybe not as much but I still think he'll be there next year.

While there is some good young players coming through in defence and attack, we seem to have absolutely nothing in midfield. Is there anyone that stands out in club football? I certainly don't see anyone in the Lennon mould i.e big strong fellas who are good for winning clean kickouts, we're looking at having a very small midfield going forward.

While we're obviously never going to go man to man and abandon the defensive tactics that have brought us success, I would like to see a bit more positivity next year, and to give McManus more help with scoring. Owen Duffy for example scored a couple of lovely points when he came on and made me wonder while he didn't start as he was named to do. I can understand wanting to finish with a strong team too but still would have liked to see Duffy start. Also thought McGuinness could have come on earlier seeing as we needed scores and likely a goal, and he's probably our best goal scorer. It's a pity Jack McCarron's injury meant he didn't get a full season and hampered his chances this year, hopefully he comes back strong next year. Also I wonder would Conor McCarthy be ready to play, I'd like to see him given a chance in the league like the likes of McAnespie this year, as I've been impressed whenever I seen him for the county or Scotstown. Been a while since I watched him mind you but he looks promising. The forward line was the most impressive part of the 2013 minor team so hopefully the likes of McCarthy are ready for the step up from that.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bingo

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 10, 2015, 12:48:13 PM
We are involved too consistently to burry the heads, however, some of the reactions to us and pontification of the purity of others is mindless. I agree that a brief interview with McCann to hold his hands up, say he was out of order and will learn from his mistakes will take the heat of Tyrone in general but more importantly for the lad himself. As AZ said, we will bear the brunt of this on some occasion when we are fully innocent, whether that's a conscious action by a ref or losing out on the majority of 50/50s as a result of an almost unconscious thought that he's a Tyrone man, he's probably pulling my leg here.

As sensible as any comment I have seen on the matter. It would close it and move on.

Darby

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 10, 2015, 12:16:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 11:27:28 AM
Lads the hyperbole is ridiculous. Tyrone do some stuff they shouldn't, no doubt about it. It's disappointing to see and I actually don't think they need to do it. But all this stuff being shouted from the rooftops is nuts.

Good to see this AZ. Some of the stuff on Saturday was really poor - McCann in particular - but the guff on here about Tyrone as the masters of darkness or something is laughable.  Its been going on for a while now and is very unpleasant.  Some in the media peddling this line should have a look at themselves.

Speaking of the media however I read Colm Keys calling on Tyrone to come out and make some kind of statement,  an apology indeed, over the McCann incident.  I would support that, it was an embarrassing moment and they should say he regrets it greatly - I'm sure he does - and that it won't happen again.  Letting it pass without comment is wrong.  Who knows, it might even start up a proper conversation about how widespread this shite is getting and how to to stop it, in 32 counties rather than just 1

I take it from your username that you're a Tyrone man. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. I have never seen a Tyrone supporter providing such a balanced response.

Is it hyperbole on all of our parts? Possibly. I have never claimed that Tyrone are the only county doing it, of course they aren't. I would claim that they're the worst at it. That might be down to opinion. But they have generally been the common denominator in all the biggest incidents for 12 years or so. Or close to it.

I have also been infuriated by Tyrone fans responses over the past 12 years. They refuse to acknowledge that they are cynical at all, or brush over by pointing to other incidents by other teams. Does the term 'two wrongs don't make a right' mean anything to them?

They're a bloody good footballing county, and would have won the game the last day even more comfortably if they hadn't acted the bollox for the final ten minutes. Stick to the football lads. You're good at that. And your reputation will improve, thus helping your situation with referees. As it stands, I think they may get a very tough time up against Kerry the next day out.

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

screenexile

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 10, 2015, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 10, 2015, 01:46:29 PM
Joe's match report spot on . . .

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-diving-stalling-meanspiritedness-the-tyronemonaghan-game-was-depressing-31437275.html
Its complete hyperbole, the type of stuff Joe has made his name from.

hyperbole
hʌɪˈpəːbəli/Submit
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Darren Hughes tousled Tiernan McCann's hair in the last quarter. McCann threw himself to the ground holding his face.

In the 39th minute Connor McAlliskey went down clutching his face, rolling on the ground. The crowd actually laughed. When the referee showed no interest, he sprang to his feet, joined the attack, received possession and kicked for a point, narrowly missing.

In the 53rd minute, Seán Cavanagh went to ground after minor contact and lay there for a full two minutes, apparently stricken. Eventually, he got slowly to his feet, checked his head again and within ten seconds was sprinting for a ball which he won.

In the 70th minute, brother Colm went down in identical fashion. He lay on the ground for two minutes (punctual boys the Cavanaghs). He then gingerly got to his feet holding his head. Then, miraculously, took off to receive a short pass. In fairness, they recover quickly.
Conor Meyler, the Croke Park debutant, provided the most hilarious moment of the day, throwing himself into a Monaghan player, then crumpling in a heap on the ground. In fairness to Marty, he got that one right.

The above is what happened. . . hardly hyperbole!!

blewuporstuffed

The 53rd minute incident he refers to is when Finaly punched Cavanagh on the back of the head,something that most on here have a agreed should have been a red card.Hardly 'minor contact'.

maybe you take statements like 'The crowd actually laughed' and  'the conversation in Croke Park was all about whether we'll have a game at all in a decade's time.'  literally, but i would call that hyperbole.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

omagh_gael

The thing is not one of Joe's observations mentioned any Monaghan action:

1. Beggan dropping like a stone
2. Finlay's dirty punch to Sean's head
3. K Hughes' manic behaviour all game (Inc a WWF style flying neck grab on Justy McM after a free had been given)

These are just some of the incidents that Joe's blind agenda fails to even acknowledge, never mind balance against Tyrone's indiscretions. FFS last week he was commending a cynical take down by a Kerry player, name escapes me at the minute.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 11:27:28 AM
Lads the hyperbole is ridiculous. Tyrone do some stuff they shouldn't, no doubt about it. It's disappointing to see and I actually don't think they need to do it. But all this stuff being shouted from the rooftops is nuts.

Would have to second that. The McCann incident is indefensible but it's far from the first of its kind and in general I've never really understood why Tyrone seem to have a reputation above all others. Sean Cavanagh plays for frees but so do Conor McManus, James O'Donoghue and a heap of others. Beyond that I don't really get it.

omaghjoe

We are involved too consistently to burry the heads, however, some of the reactions to us and pontification of the purity of others is mindless. I agree that a brief interview with McCann to hold his hands up, say he was out of order and will learn from his mistakes will take the heat of Tyrone in general but more importantly for the lad himself. As AZ said, we will bear the brunt of this on some occasion when we are fully innocent, whether that's a conscious action by a ref or losing out on the majority of 50/50s as a result of an almost unconscious thought that he's a Tyrone man, he's probably pulling my leg here.

Bollix! All this calling for McCann to apologise is BS, if he wants to do it, ( I dont really see why) thats fine, not for any1 else to tell him what to do. Besides if he did there would be immediate calls of trying to play the media and influence referees

All this coming back to bite us is more BS, it would come back to bite us anyway even if we were the epitome of angelic purity. Have you seen the level of consistency of refereeing in football? Remember 96?

Applesisapples

We in Armagh tend to remember the Marsden moment in 03, but for all that it wasn't Tyrone that sent him off, three or four officials got it wrong. Likewise with McCann, embarrassing dive yes but it was Marty Duffy and his officials who sent Hughes to the line. I am not a fan of Tyrone, however the great Dubs and the Kerry aristocrats are every bit as cynical. Refereeing in football in particular but even in hurling needs help particularly in big games. There is video available so why not use it to prove guilt or innocence beyond doubt.

JoG2

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 10, 2015, 03:49:51 PM

Bollix! All this calling for McCann to apologise is BS, if he wants to do it, ( I dont really see why) thats fine, not for any1 else to tell him what to do. Besides if he did there would be immediate calls of trying to play the media and influence referees

All this coming back to bite us is more BS, it would come back to bite us anyway even if we were the epitome of angelic purity. Have you seen the level of consistency of refereeing in football? Remember 96?

exactly...he was pulled down by the hair and tripped sure  :o

Up The Middle

In my view myler was rightly black carded. It was a stupid thing to do and he will learn from it. Mccann no doubt will be rightly embarrassed by what he did (was awful to see). But tyrones performance overall deserved the victory,  they have really surprised me this year and should be commended for getting as far as they have. I thought they had a great chance off beating kerry until last night's Sunday game. I know think that they will find it extremely difficult to get frees even if they are deserved. Some will say they have only themselves to blame but I feel some of the over analysis is embarrassing. Both teams were at it on Saturday to point out 1 teams transgressions and totally over look the others is unacceptable. Whoever referees the semi will be under huge pressure to penalise tyrone and that ain't right. These guys have a responsibility to give a fair analysis and not pick one teams transgressions over the others.

I've never been a huge follower of tyrone county football (more interested in the club scene)but I really hope they get to the final and do themselves justice.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

omaghjoe

Quote from: JoG2 on August 10, 2015, 04:18:24 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 10, 2015, 03:49:51 PM

exactly...he was pulled down by the hair and tripped sure  :o

Thank God someone agrees with me at last regarding this incident, and a renowned Tyrone hater too. I thought I was going mad!