Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Something that was posted on another thread:
QuoteWe'll be up against three counties from Ulster on Saturday
Just wondering if the Tyrone / Monaghan fans will be supporting their neighbours on Saturday?? I would have thought that they will as there wouldn't be much antagonism between Donegal and either of the others

BluestackBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 07, 2015, 08:58:50 AM
Just wondering if the Tyrone / Monaghan fans will be supporting their neighbours on Saturday?? I would have thought that they will as there wouldn't be much antagonism between Donegal and either of the others

We might scrap like cats amongst ourselves but when faced with a challenge from cocky southerners we usually present a united front ;D ;D ;D
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

rosnarun

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 04:35:03 PM
Quote from: Canalman on August 06, 2015, 04:00:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 03:42:27 PM
If Mayo get up six or seven points early on like two years ago, it's curtains for Donegal, especially if the goals are given up as cheaply. We need a solid start this time.

Mayo posters could say the same about the 2012 final in fairness.

True. I think Donegal were in a slightly different place in 2013 than Mayo were in 2012 though. And those two sides had no mutual history in 2012. And while you could say that Donegal will be out to prove a point this time, they are a relatively aging side going into their sixth tough game.

I was just thinking the other day how young many of this donegal team are s Murphy is 25? Macbreaty Odhrán Mac Niallais the Mchughs ,paddy  Mcgrath,Martin O'Reilly, hugh Mcfadden are all in their early 20's.
I know there is another batch in their late 20 early 30's but over all its a well balanced team in term of age.
where it falls down is they are all Useless
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 07, 2015, 09:43:51 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 07, 2015, 08:58:50 AM

We might scrap like cats amongst ourselves but when faced with a challenge from cocky southerners we usually present a united front ;D ;D ;D

Sure Mayo is in the West!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

highorlow

I'll make 2 predictions:

Mayo 1:12 - Donegal 1:10

and

Mayo 1:12 - Donegal 1:12

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Crete Boom

Quote from: rosnarun on August 07, 2015, 09:52:37 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 04:35:03 PM
Quote from: Canalman on August 06, 2015, 04:00:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 03:42:27 PM
If Mayo get up six or seven points early on like two years ago, it's curtains for Donegal, especially if the goals are given up as cheaply. We need a solid start this time.

Mayo posters could say the same about the 2012 final in fairness.

True. I think Donegal were in a slightly different place in 2013 than Mayo were in 2012 though. And those two sides had no mutual history in 2012. And while you could say that Donegal will be out to prove a point this time, they are a relatively aging side going into their sixth tough game.

I was just thinking the other day how young many of this donegal team are s Murphy is 25? Macbreaty Odhrán Mac Niallais the Mchughs ,paddy  Mcgrath,Martin O'Reilly, hugh Mcfadden are all in their early 20's.
I know there is another batch in their late 20 early 30's but over all its a well balanced team in term of age.
where it falls down is they are all Useless

If Donegal are useless then what does that make us Ros considering this Donegal team has played two finals and won one and we have played two finals and lost two!!! :o

Crete Boom

Very evenly matched teams for this one with Donegal struggling with their shooting as of late and we have a perennial shaky full back line shipping a few soft goals so far this championship.
I think if we get ahead and dominate midfield we could win by about 4 or 5 points in the end although it is a big if with regards to dominating midfield!!
If Donegal get ahead early doors I think we will struggle badly to break down their defensive system ( although their has been more room down the CHB channel lately) which would probably see the men from Tír Chonail prevail.
Another scenario possible I think is a more even, physical , fast paced game with the team who gets on top in the collisions and around the middle third ,shading it by 2 or 3 points in a bit of a shootout , so my prediction is ,

Mayo       2-14
Donegal  3-09
Aidan O Shea grabbing an early goal like Murphy in 2012  with a fresher stronger Mayo dominating the middle only for Donegal to come roaring back in the third quarter with two sucker punch goals leading to a stout 13 men behind the ball hold out ( along with a couple of black cards) by Mayo for the last 5 mins!!!

highorlow could be on the money about a draw though!!

Syferus

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

J70

Hope I am wrong, but it's Mayo by six for me. Too many lulls in our play this year.

2-14 to 1-11

JoG2

Ballaghman

Not even going to bother predicting a score line other than say there will be goals. If we play anything close to our powerful, fast, hard running best then it will be too much for Donegal. Mayo by 5 or 6 at least.

BluestackBoy

Too many ifs buts & maybes to predict the outcome of this game with any certainty.

If all our players are fully fit, if we maintain the form that saw off Galway, if we get the shooting radar back on track, then I think we will win.

There should be a good crowd & a great atmosphere. Really looking forward to it
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Not sure how seriously to take this with Lacey and Eamon McGee back in. I'd imagine there might be some fitness tests still to do tomorrow afternoon.

And Hugh McFadden, so good they (RTE) named him twice!

Declan Walsh should be 22

1 Paul Durcan
2 Paddy McGrath 3 Neil McGee 4 Eamon McGee
5 Ryan McHugh 6 Karl Lacey 7 Frank McGlynn
8 Neil Gallagher 9 Martin McElhinney
10 Martin O'Reilly 11 Odrán MacNiallais 12 Mark McHugh
13 Paddy McBrearty 14 Michael Murphy 15 Colm McFadden

Replacements 16 Marc Anthony McGinley 17 Anthony Thompson 18 Éamonn Doherty 19 Christy Toye 20 David Walsh 21 Hugh McFadden 22 Hugh McFadden 23 Leo McLoone 24 Gary McFadden 25 Ciarán McGinley 26 Eoin Bán Gallagher