Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 02, 2015, 12:01:07 AM
We played a massive blanket in the 2nd half of the Mayo Donegal league game, literally 14 men in our own half for most of it. It worked to a certain extent but we missed a couple of chances on the break to kill the game and Donegal were patient enough to work an equalising point to draw. It's pretty much the only time we've played a proper blanket so it will be interesting to see if it was a once off flirtation or will it be brought out if we go a few points up on Saturday

Yeah would have squeezed a win that day only for young Durcan got wobbly knees in front of goal. Donegal were without Murphy as far as I remember.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 12:07:46 AM
We played a massive blanket in the 2nd half of the Mayo Donegal league game, literally 14 men in our own half for most of it. It worked to a certain extent but we missed a couple of chances on the break to kill the game and Donegal were patient enough to work an equalising point to draw. It's pretty much the only time we've played a proper blanket so it will be interesting to see if it was a once off flirtation or will it be brought out if we go a few points up on Saturday

Yeah would have squeezed a win that day only for young Durcan got wobbly knees in front of goal. Donegal were without Murphy as far as I remember.

MAYO: K O'Malley; B Harrison, K Keane, K Higgins; L Keegan, C Boyle, D Vaughan (0-01); B Moran (0-03), S O'Shea; K McLoughlin (0-03, 0-01f), A O'Shea (0-01), J Doherty (0-02, 0-02f); M Ronaldson, D Kirby, D O'Connor (0-01).

Subs used: M Conroy (0-01) for Ronaldson (half-time), S Coen for Harrison (45 mins), A Moran for Kirby (55), P Durcan for Boyle (65), N Douglas for McLoughlin (70), M Hall for O'Connor (black card, 70).

DONEGAL: M Boyle; N McGee, E Doherty, P McGrath; E McGee; K Lacey, R McHugh; O MacNiallais (0-03), H McFadden; M McElhinney (0-01), C Toye, F McGlynn; C McFadden (0-01), P McBrearty (1-03, 0-01f), M O'Reilly.

Subs used: C McGinley for Toye (42 mins), A Thompson for Doherty (42), M McHugh for H McFadden (black card, 48), S Griffin (0-01) for McGinley (59).

Thems the teams from the league lads. No Murphy or Gallagher either. Yeah Patrick Durcan was gun shy to close it out but no matter. He s going to be a top player.

I think Donegal have their best team ever and we probably have our best since 1951 when the game was a different game really. Great players on both sides. Donegal had an edge on the tactical side of things though with McGuiness. The recovery from losing Ulster final and winning today suggests that Gallagher knows what he's at too. We ll know a lot more about H&C in a weeks time.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 01:04:26 AM

MAYO: K O'Malley; B Harrison, K Keane, K Higgins; L Keegan, C Boyle, D Vaughan (0-01); B Moran (0-03), S O'Shea; K McLoughlin (0-03, 0-01f), A O'Shea (0-01), J Doherty (0-02, 0-02f); M Ronaldson, D Kirby, D O'Connor (0-01).

Subs used: M Conroy (0-01) for Ronaldson (half-time), S Coen for Harrison (45 mins), A Moran for Kirby (55), P Durcan for Boyle (65), N Douglas for McLoughlin (70), M Hall for O'Connor (black card, 70).

DONEGAL: M Boyle; N McGee, E Doherty, P McGrath; E McGee; K Lacey, R McHugh; O MacNiallais (0-03), H McFadden; M McElhinney (0-01), C Toye, F McGlynn; C McFadden (0-01), P McBrearty (1-03, 0-01f), M O'Reilly.

Subs used: C McGinley for Toye (42 mins), A Thompson for Doherty (42), M McHugh for H McFadden (black card, 48), S Griffin (0-01) for McGinley (59).

Thems the teams from the league lads. No Murphy or Gallagher either. Yeah Patrick Durcan was gun shy to close it out but no matter. He s going to be a top player.

I think Donegal have their best team ever and we probably have our best since 1951 when the game was a different game really. Great players on both sides. Donegal had an edge on the tactical side of things though with McGuiness. The recovery from losing Ulster final and winning today suggests that Gallagher knows what he's at too. We ll know a lot more about H&C in a weeks time.

Ah c'mon Moy. Up till 50 minutes a Galway team with only half a clue about defending were probably the better of the two sides. I don't think anyone in Mayo really thinks the current Donegal side can't be got at.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2015, 01:10:34 AM

Ah c'mon Moy. Up till 50 minutes a Galway team with only half a clue about defending were probably the better of the two sides. I don't think anyone in Mayo really thinks the current Donegal side can't be got at.

The game was set for Galway at ht. Or so it seemed. But when Donegal got serious - and they did - Galway had no answers.
Tactics aside Sy, how many of those Galway players would make the Donegal team?
I admit I gave Galway a real chance going into this. Mostly based on the perception I had after Monaghan, that Donegal were burning oil and had injuries. Back in the day ordinary enough Galway teams ( before 98), with lads dripping wit Hogan Cup winners would strut onto CP with chests puffed out like they owned it and it was their birth right. Mulholland leading out a team in the 90s springs to mind.

But not today. The big lads in midfield were mostly ineffective. Conroy went into his shell again. Hanley is a bag of nails. Danny Cummins is silly stuff and Comer made an awful poor decision today not to take a fisted point. Lundy spent the day chasing McHugh and was on the back foot all day.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 01:40:01 AM

The game was set for Galway at ht. Or so it seemed. But when Donegal got serious - and they did - Galway had no answers.
I admit I gave Galway a real chance going into this. Mostly based on the perception I had after Monaghan, that Donegal were burning oil and had injuries. Back in the day ordinary enough Galway teams ( before 98), with lads dripping wit Hogan Cup winners would strut onto CP with chests puffed out like they owned it and it was their birth right. Mulholland leading out a team in the 90s springs to mind.

But not today. The big lads in midfield were mostly ineffective. Conroy went into his shell again. Hanley is a bag of nails. Danny Cummins is silly stuff and Comer made an awful poor decision today not to take a fisted point. Lundy spent the day chasing McHugh and was on the back foot all day.

Like I said before the game, the swagger is long gone from Galway. They're just another team with some talent and some problems.

But Mayo are a step beyond Galway and they gave Donegal a real fright. I don't think that Donegal team have it in them to play 70 minutes or even 50 or 60 minutes at the intensity they can in fits and starts. Being a bit battered with injuries doesn't help. If Mayo play well I think they win no matter what Donegal do.

This might be the core of both sides last best chance to win the AI so I'd hope for a match befitting those sakes.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2015, 01:58:37 AM

Like I said before the game, the swagger is long gone from Galway. They're just another team with some talent and some problems.

DoBut Mayo are a step beyond Galway and they gave negal a real fright. I don't think that Donegal team have it in them to play 70 minutes or even 50 or 60 minutes at the intensity they can in fits and starts. Being a bit battered with injuries doesn't help. If Mayo play well I think they win no matter what Donegal do.

This might be the core of both sides last best chance to win the AI so I'd hope for a match befitting those sakes.

I don t think Galway gave Donegal a fright at all. A wake up call maybe and then they were out of there.

Mayo are a step beyond Galway. But it's because we have better players than them now. TBH there is no player in the Galway team that I would covet.
However there is the reality that we ve blown 3 winnable AIs tactically and it remains to be seen if H&C can do better.

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 02:31:38 AM

DoBut Mayo are a step beyond Galway and they gave negal a real fright. I don't think that Donegal team have it in them to play 70 minutes or even 50 or 60 minutes at the intensity they can in fits and starts. Being a bit battered with injuries doesn't help. If Mayo play well I think they win no matter what Donegal do.

I don t think Galway gave Donegal a fright at all. A wake up call maybe and then they were out of there.

Mayo are a step beyond Galway. But it's because we have better players than them now. TBH there is no player in the Galway team that I would covet.
However there is the reality that we ve blown 3 winnable AIs tactically and it remains to be seen if H&C can do better.

2015 is the year of Mayo

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 02:49:56 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 02:31:38 AM

2015 is the year of Mayo

Hopefully
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Farrandeelin

Not a hope. I just can't see Mayo winning this game. I think Donegal will mark AOS out of it and force the rest of our forwards to go to the 45 and handpass sideways without penetrating their defence too much. I thought Galway would beat Donegal, but it was a rather handy win for DL in the end. Mayo only beatGalway by 4.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

I disagree mayo have the big unmarkable man at full forward.  Donegal aren't bad but maybe not at that level. 

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 02, 2015, 08:21:52 AM
Not a hope. I just can't see Mayo winning this game. I think Donegal will mark AOS out of it and force the rest of our forwards to go to the 45 and handpass sideways without penetrating their defence too much. I thought Galway would beat Donegal, but it was a rather handy win for DL in the end. Mayo only beatGalway by 4.
Now we're talking! Farr is on board.
Big games required from TP and SOS. Gallagher was very effective vs Galway, sprayed some great passes into FF line. Negate that supply and we'll do alright.
Looking forward to it, much prefer to get our mettle tested before swanning in to play the Dubs.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 02, 2015, 08:21:52 AM
Not a hope. I just can't see Mayo winning this game. I think Donegal will mark AOS out of it and force the rest of our forwards to go to the 45 and handpass sideways without penetrating their defence too much. I thought Galway would beat Donegal, but it was a rather handy win for DL in the end. Mayo only beat Galway by 4.

With 14 minutes to go Galway were losing by only 2 points. A win is a win! Very evenly matched teams. If we are good enough we will beat Donegal. If not we are better off out than facing Dublin.

muppet

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 01, 2015, 08:49:18 PM
Too hard to call, Donegal at full strength i fancy them, McGee will reduce O`Shea influence but will not nullify him, question is where will the other Mayo scored come from?With a few out and Murphy playing too far out Mayo could take them

This will probably be tight for the first half.

But then I am confident enough we will find a scoring forward from somewhere to compliment Aiden O'XI, maybe one of those Ballintubber lads might step up? Possibly the injured lad who got a hatrick against them the last time.

Good to see the real Farr is back in kilter with the universe.

Mayo by 4.

And there will be goals.............
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

Here's a question for the sports scientists out there, and those lads who are good at figuring out mechanics: why are Donegal hitting so many wides?

They had 17 wides against Monaghan and they were 13 and counting yesterday until the second goal, at which stage the game ended, of course. But why? How is it that a team as experienced as Donegal suddenly can't hit the target anymore?

If half those wides had gone over against Monaghan Donegal wouldn't just have won, they would have won pulling up. The game is about points on the board of course and if Donegal can't score they won't win, but the fact they're having that many wides in the first place indicates they are getting possession by the trailer load.

Donegal's defensive task is to not concede goals and force Mayo to shoot from out the field, thus negating the Aidan O'Shea effect. Mayo can't concede goals either, but if the Donegal shots that are going wide now start going over on Saturday, what will Mayo do then?

Mayo4Sam14

Everyone has gotten so caught up in the AOS hype they seem to have forgotten about Cillian O'Connor
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!