Living here vs USA, 2015

Started by 50fiftyball, July 26, 2015, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Wasn't it what was available to the Irish when then came over?

First St. Paddy's Day I was here, I was like WTF...Corn Beef and Cabbage...never had it in my life. They all looked at me, as if I had 2 heads. I remember the corn beef in the tin, that we used to eat in a sandwich, which was feckin rotten

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on February 05, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

First St. Paddy's Day I was here, I was like WTF...Corn Beef and Cabbage...never had it in my life. They all looked at me, as if I had 2 heads. I remember the corn beef in the tin, that we used to eat in a sandwich, which was feckin rotten

Only corned beef I ever came across was the term we used for making fun of girls' ugly legs in primary school.

cadhlancian

Corned beef was used by nearly Irish immigrants when they first started landing here in the 1800's. It was far and away the cheapest type of meat you could buy, this made is available to poor immigrants. This probably started in the likes of NY and quickly became an Irish/ American tradition.

The Iceman

Quote from: cadhlancian on February 05, 2016, 05:58:10 PM
Corned beef was used by nearly Irish immigrants when they first started landing here in the 1800's. It was far and away the cheapest type of meat you could buy, this made is available to poor immigrants. This probably started in the likes of NY and quickly became an Irish/ American tradition.
did some research on it when I first moved over and this is correct. the Irish could not afford the traditional bacon and purchased corned beef from their jewish neighbours.
It quickly became the norm and generations believed going forward this was the "traditional" meal.

Try getting chips in a chinese restaurant in china....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on February 05, 2016, 06:04:29 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on February 05, 2016, 05:58:10 PM
did some research on it when I first moved over and this is correct. the Irish could not afford the traditional bacon and purchased corned beef from their jewish neighbours.
It quickly became the norm and generations believed going forward this was the "traditional" meal.

Try getting chips in a chinese restaurant in china....

Or in Chinatown. MY brother in law was in a Chinese in San Francisco Chinatown and asked for fries with his duck. He was told, "You want fries, you go McDonalds".

The Iceman

I talked a chinese place in NJ near where we used to live to making me a half and half with curry sauce and onions when we lived there
you're right outside of ireland and maybe UK? you'd struggle to get chips at a chinese...
Indian food in London and Indian food out here is slightly different too  - nobody knows what an Onion Baji is out here...but it was a stable in Brick Lane.. lots of people tend to cater to local tastes and expectations.  I heard the Chinese don't make Curry even?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on February 05, 2016, 08:47:55 PM
I talked a chinese place in NJ near where we used to live to making me a half and half with curry sauce and onions when we lived there
you're right outside of ireland and maybe UK? you'd struggle to get chips at a chinese...
Indian food in London and Indian food out here is slightly different too  - nobody knows what an Onion Baji is out here...but it was a stable in Brick Lane.. lots of people tend to cater to local tastes and expectations.  I heard the Chinese don't make Curry even?

Neither of them are "Indian" either. What we think of as Indian cuisine is "British Indian".

There are Chinese curries alright buy they don't taste like McDonnell's chip shop curry sauce...

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on February 05, 2016, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 05, 2016, 08:47:55 PM

Neither of them are "Indian" either. What we think of as Indian cuisine is "British Indian".

There are Chinese curries alright buy they don't taste like McDonnell's chip shop curry sauce...
You'd struggle to find a chicken curry out this way in a chinese place
general tso's chicken is the stable, sesame chicken and some kind of citrus chicken.... rice is different - pork, egg or veggie fried rice or white or brown...

Eamonnca1

They say the Mexican food in California's nothing like the food in Mexico. Ditto for Chinese, Thai, etc.  Dunno if it's true or not, I haven't done a big pile of traveling to places like that.

Tony Baloney

Wise up. A corned beef with HP sauce sandwich is lush. The missus wouldn't have it in the house though as she thinks it's a step down from dog food  >:(

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on February 05, 2016, 05:42:26 PM

Only corned beef I ever came across was the term we used for making fun of girls' ugly legs in primary school.

You'll have to expand on that one.....

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2016, 06:08:41 PM
Or in Chinatown. MY brother in law was in a Chinese in San Francisco Chinatown and asked for fries with his duck. He was told, "You want fries, you go McDonalds".

Proper order, you wouldn't ask for rice in McDonald's. Asking for curry chicken and chips in a Chinese is a waste.

Quote from: The Iceman on February 05, 2016, 08:58:55 PM
general tso's chicken is the stable, sesame chicken and some kind of citrus chicken.... rice is different - pork, egg or veggie fried rice or white or brown...

And Beef and Broccoli, which is actually rather nice and not entirely bad for you.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 05, 2016, 10:42:38 PM
They say the Mexican food in California's nothing like the food in Mexico. Ditto for Chinese, Thai, etc.  Dunno if it's true or not, I haven't done a big pile of traveling to places like that.

I think its considered mostly Tex-Mex in America but you can get the real deal here (in Socal at least).... few lads told me they dont eat wheat tortillas for a start, only maize (or corn as the yanks like to call it ;)) and fajitas are only in America.

omaghjoe

Them feckin red indicators, I still get caught out thinking "yer man must have a bad earth, his tail light is flashing instead of his blinker"

The Iceman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 05, 2016, 10:42:38 PM
The texans say their mexican food is authentic and complain that california's isn't... I don't know I havent eaten in texas.  I've eaten in Cabo but not sure if those big resorts are authentic local cuisine?