Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2015, 11:52:09 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2015, 10:51:55 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2015, 10:46:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2015, 08:07:05 PM
Lads Dublin were going at approx 60% yesterday. The only worry I'd have about them is can they press the accelerator up to 100% when they need to, and maintain at that level for a 70 minute game against a real contender. They knew that had that game won after 15 minutes, similar to their other games this year. I wouldn't be basing my opinion of how they'll do against Mayo/Donegal on that basis. As I said, there may be lingering doubts about them being able to hit their straps when they need to from the start, but I wouldn't worry on the basis that Fermanagh hung around.

On that note, and I don't want to be hard on Fermanagh who tried really hard, but was anyone else slightly disconcerted to see the smiles and laughs from them after the game? I know they were huge outsiders and probably relieved they didn't get a beating like Kerry gave Kildare, but that was an All Ireland Quarter Final, and the losing team were beaten by 8 points, and would have been much more but for a couple of lucky goals, by a team operating at probably 60% intensity.

I understand the pride that they kept trying, but if you are essentially not within an asses roar of really competing with the team that just beat you in an All Ireland Quarter Final, should you be laughing and smiling?

I'm not trying to be hard on them, and I'm not suggesting my own county would have done in anyway any better, but I thought this Fermanagh team had a bit more oomph in them than that. I thought it was a bit worrying from a competition standpoint. Would Fermanagh be that blasé about losing by 8 points to Donegal?

And I think some of the media comment is patronising at best.

Couldn't agree any more AZ

I couldn't disagree more. If it's their attitude you're casting aspersions on then show me a team this year who've achieved more from so relatively little?

I must have missed what fermanagh achieved.

I thought they had beaten antrim at home twice twice, robbed a depleted Roscommon team in the last few minutes,  beat a westmeath team coming off a tanking and shorn of their two best players and avoided a 20 point tanking in the 1/4 final because of a combination of luck,  atrocious refereeing & a sedate opponent.

Enlighten me
Not possible,
dimmer than a dying light bulb

Darby

Fermanagh achieved loads. Promotion, four wins, creditable losses. Leinster teams just don't like the fact that they showed some balls and didn't appear to be scared of the Dubs in spite of being inferior to them. You can die with honour. Kildare didn't. Were Fermanagh players wilting from the hill? Nah, they embraced it. Sure, their first goal should have been disallowed, but how refreshing was it to see a weaker team having the temerity to show no respect for a superstar! They've a tiny population, fuckall funding, fuckall tradition, but they've heart.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Emmett on August 04, 2015, 12:32:07 AM
Lads Dublin were going at approx 60% yesterday. The only worry I'd have about them is can they press the accelerator up to 100% when they need to, and maintain at that level for a 70 minute game against a real contender. They knew that had that game won after 15 minutes, similar to their other games this year. I wouldn't be basing my opinion of how they'll do against Mayo/Donegal on that basis. As I said, there may be lingering doubts about them being able to hit their straps when they need to from the start, but I wouldn't worry on the basis that Fermanagh hung around.

On that note, and I don't want to be hard on Fermanagh who tried really hard, but was anyone else slightly disconcerted to see the smiles and laughs from them after the game? I know they were huge outsiders and probably relieved they didn't get a beating like Kerry gave Kildare, but that was an All Ireland Quarter Final, and the losing team were beaten by 8 points, and would have been much more but for a couple of lucky goals, by a team operating at probably 60% intensity.

I understand the pride that they kept trying, but if you are essentially not within an asses roar of really competing with the team that just beat you in an All Ireland Quarter Final, should you be laughing and smiling?

I'm not trying to be hard on them, and I'm not suggesting my own county would have done in anyway any better, but I thought this Fermanagh team had a bit more oomph in them than that. I thought it was a bit worrying from a competition standpoint. Would Fermanagh be that blasé about losing by 8 points to Donegal?

I couldn't disagree more. If it's their attitude you're casting aspersions on then show me a team this year who've achieved more from so relatively little?

I thought they had beaten antrim at home twice twice, robbed a depleted Roscommon team in the last few minutes,  beat a westmeath team coming off a tanking and shorn of their two best players and avoided a 20 point tanking in the 1/4 final because of a combination of luck,  atrocious refereeing & a sedate opponent.

Enlighten me

Bored tonight or just simply in a bad mood?

We lost to Dublin but we lost putting up a fight which is a lot more than can be said for the majority of Dublin's conquests. We realise exactly where we are at in Fermanagh. We know our current limitations. This does not mean we do not want to challenge for honours but we know it will be difficult given how the larger counties are financed. This will not stop us trying and will not make us roll over to the likes of Dublin.

To say our opponents were operating at 60% is an insult to Fermanagh and also is simply not true. Dublin were not allowed to play their all concurring style of football they get away with in Leinster and they rarely do against Ulster opposition. Their players were somewhat rattled towards the end (despite the scoreline) and so too were a lot of their fans.

This Fermanagh team have ability and a superb attitude. They are very young and the majority of the panel were having their first Championship year. To say that they have not achieved anything in gaining promotion to Division 2 and winning 4 championship matches is absolute madness. Against Westmeath we lost 2 key players to black cards early on and lost our captain to injury - this should have stretched our panel more than our opponents 2 injurys but it didn't. The defeats to both Dublin and Monaghan will have taught the team an awful lot.

Anyway, whether or not you agree is not important. What is important is that we build on this year and raise our expectations further again. An Ulster title is a distinct possibility for this group of players should they actually believe it!

Ah here - delude yourself about the year all you want but leave the fairytales out

Darby

Where are you from Duffle King? Definitely a Leinster county?

Emmett

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 04, 2015, 12:57:26 AM
Quote from: Emmett on August 04, 2015, 12:32:07 AM

Enlighten me

Bored tonight or just simply in a bad mood?

We lost to Dublin but we lost putting up a fight which is a lot more than can be said for the majority of Dublin's conquests. We realise exactly where we are at in Fermanagh. We know our current limitations. This does not mean we do not want to challenge for honours but we know it will be difficult given how the larger counties are financed. This will not stop us trying and will not make us roll over to the likes of Dublin.

To say our opponents were operating at 60% is an insult to Fermanagh and also is simply not true. Dublin were not allowed to play their all concurring style of football they get away with in Leinster and they rarely do against Ulster opposition. Their players were somewhat rattled towards the end (despite the scoreline) and so too were a lot of their fans.

This Fermanagh team have ability and a superb attitude. They are very young and the majority of the panel were having their first Championship year. To say that they have not achieved anything in gaining promotion to Division 2 and winning 4 championship matches is absolute madness. Against Westmeath we lost 2 key players to black cards early on and lost our captain to injury - this should have stretched our panel more than our opponents 2 injurys but it didn't. The defeats to both Dublin and Monaghan will have taught the team an awful lot.

Anyway, whether or not you agree is not important. What is important is that we build on this year and raise our expectations further again. An Ulster title is a distinct possibility for this group of players should they actually believe it!

Ah here - delude yourself about the year all you want but leave the fairytales out

Ok, so the year as a whole was not a posititive one for Fermanagh in your opinion? How so?

You criticise the players for looking happy in defeat but when I suggest they push on for an Ulster title you dismiss it as an impossibility?

I really do not know what to say to that....

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Darby on August 04, 2015, 12:13:16 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 03, 2015, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 03, 2015, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 03, 2015, 12:49:05 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 03, 2015, 10:36:34 AM

There is talk over the Dubs forum that some think that this team is actually in decline and that if we don't win it this year it could be a long time before we do, as in decline not age but tactically and managerially etc. Some players too. Not sure Dublin can get past Donegal/Mayo, would actually prefer to play Donegal.
Last year Dublin were going to win five in a row.

Now they're not going to win it at all for five decades in a row.

Yeah that came from the pundits and outside Dublin media. We are more realistic up in Dublin and people who know Dublin GAA are more cautious with that sort of speak, to me and to a lot of others its between Kerry and Mayo. I think Mayo will get to the final.

+1

If not Dublin Ill be routing for the Mayo bucks

Aristocrat is spot on most grounded Dublin Gaa fans feet are firmly on the ground and know are our team aren't all that they are talked up to be by country media/folk
A lot of it is from Leinster teams - Laois, Offaly, Meath, Kildare - who cannot accept that they're actually doing a lot wrong now and have fallen way back. Yesterday might have been an eye-opener. It was easier to pretend that a very good Dublin team were unbeatable.

That's exactly it, and the league is the league. One month to prepare, if they play at the level they have been playing at they will be gone. 

redhandefender

I think if you have Hill 16 supporter clubs coming out and praising you you have done something badly WRONG!

Basically saying thanks for coming down, giving us a good day out and taking your beating. How patronising, Fermanagh players were going down to win and would be cringing at some of this stuff going on in the aftermath!

Hope some other ulster team gets a craic at them this year and there won't be much praise coming out of the hill

JoG2

AZ and Duffle, I'm trying to work out from what position you guys are coming from. Are youse big players in your respective counties 'big' clubs?  (I didnt mention counties as I'm assuming AZ is an Offlay man).
You guys must only know success and not what it means to try and win against the odds. Have you guys coached / managed a team? Personally I find it strange that anyone would downplay Fermanagh's achievements this year, league promotion, getting to an AI q/f and scoring 2-15 away to Dublin . There's 20 clubs in total, 18 of those clubs had representation in the senior squad. Personally I'd have been a very proud man on Sunday if I happened to have been born in Fermanagh.

AZOffaly

Lads, I'm not trying to have a go at what Fermanagh did on the field. Apologies if that's the way it reads. Nor am I necessarily having a go at Fermanagh per se. I just think it's worrying and a bit disconcerting when a team are happy to have 'only' been beaten by 8 points in an All Ireland Quarter Final. And if you think Dublin were going at 100% in that game, we'll have to agree to disagree. The only time they raised a canter was after Sean Quigley forced Cluxton into the O.G, and they responded with 1-1 in about 5 minutes. I would much more understand the post game reaction if they put Dublin to the pin of their collar for 45 minutes, but the Dubs pulled away to win by 8 in the end. But let's not cod ourselves, that's not what happened on Sunday. I have my doubts that Fermanagh would react in such a manner following an 8 point defeat to Donegal or Mayo, for example. Both teams who will fancy their chances against the Dubs in an All Ireland Semi Final. So why the 'happy to be here' reaction on Sunday?

And finally, I think Leinster has regressed significantly in the past 15 years. No doubt about that. This is not a 'defend Leinster Football' spiel. However, I would wonder what the reaction would be to a team like Louth or Westmeath losing by 8 points to Dublin, without ever threatening to push them hard, and then coming off smiling and relieved, and even a bit proud?  I suspect the reaction here would be to slate that team for rolling over and getting their tummies tickled.

AZOffaly

Quote from: JoG2 on August 04, 2015, 09:22:04 AM
AZ and Duffle, I'm trying to work out from what position you guys are coming from. Are youse big players in your respective counties 'big' clubs?  (I didnt mention counties as I'm assuming AZ is an Offlay man).
You guys must only know success and not what it means to try and win against the odds. Have you guys coached / managed a team? Personally I find it strange that anyone would downplay Fermanagh's achievements this year, league promotion, getting to an AI q/f and scoring 2-15 away to Dublin . There's 20 clubs in total, 18 of those clubs had representation in the senior squad. Personally I'd have been a very proud man on Sunday if I happened to have been born in Fermanagh.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm involved in coaching, and have played a bit of football in ye olden days. I'm not trying to belittle Fermanagh's performance on the field. I'm just trying to understand why they would be so happy coming off the field? I'd be proud of my efforts if I were them, but I wouldn't be happy that we were that far off the pace. As I said above, apologies if I am coming across as having a got at their performance.

I'll ask the question again though. If they lost to Donegal by that amount, in a game that went in that way, would they be smiling coming off the field? Donegal beat Dublin well last year, so why this reaction from Fermanagh?

ballinaman

Great article in the times by McGuinness this morning on this.

yellowcard

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2015, 09:25:51 AM
Lads, I'm not trying to have a go at what Fermanagh did on the field. Apologies if that's the way it reads. Nor am I necessarily having a go at Fermanagh per se. I just think it's worrying and a bit disconcerting when a team are happy to have 'only' been beaten by 8 points in an All Ireland Quarter Final. And if you think Dublin were going at 100% in that game, we'll have to agree to disagree. The only time they raised a canter was after Sean Quigley forced Cluxton into the O.G, and they responded with 1-1 in about 5 minutes. I would much more understand the post game reaction if they put Dublin to the pin of their collar for 45 minutes, but the Dubs pulled away to win by 8 in the end. But let's not cod ourselves, that's not what happened on Sunday. I have my doubts that Fermanagh would react in such a manner following an 8 point defeat to Donegal or Mayo, for example. Both teams who will fancy their chances against the Dubs in an All Ireland Semi Final. So why the 'happy to be here' reaction on Sunday?

And finally, I think Leinster has regressed significantly in the past 15 years. No doubt about that. This is not a 'defend Leinster Football' spiel. However, I would wonder what the reaction would be to a team like Louth or Westmeath losing by 8 points to Dublin, without ever threatening to push them hard, and then coming off smiling and relieved, and even a bit proud?  I suspect the reaction here would be to slate that team for rolling over and getting their tummies tickled.

You said Dublin were operating at 60%. That is nonsense and greatly exaggerates Dublin's capabilities. Dublin were a bit below par but so were Fermanagh who had played a lot of matches in recent weeks with little squad depth.

The Fermanagh reaction was as much in celebration of the year that they had and it's better to see a team play with a smile on their face than much of the sterile robotic characters we see in the modern game. Put the performance in context though, if it had been a first round provincial defeat with nothing of note achieved this year then they would not have been coming off the field laughing. Fermanagh have never even won a provincial title and are realistic in their expectations. They will not be challenging for AI titles anytime soon. Or maybe you would be happier if they trudged off the field with drooped shoulders after ''rolling over and getting their tummies tickled'' by Kerry in a 27 point defeat. I'd be far more upset at that in game performance than any post match reaction by Fermanagh.

lfdown2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2015, 09:28:24 AM

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm involved in coaching, and have played a bit of football in ye olden days. I'm not trying to belittle Fermanagh's performance on the field. I'm just trying to understand why they would be so happy coming off the field? I'd be proud of my efforts if I were them, but I wouldn't be happy that we were that far off the pace. As I said above, apologies if I am coming across as having a got at their performance.

I'll ask the question again though. If they lost to Donegal by that amount, in a game that went in that way, would they be smiling coming off the field? Donegal beat Dublin well last year, so why this reaction from Fermanagh?

The same thing struck me - I would say the Fermanagh team can be proud of how they performed this year but to me it was not a result to celebrate, to smile and laugh about - I would hope it gives them an impetus to attempt to push on next year to bridge the gap somewhat. Good article from McGuinness, it's worrying that teams are happy to keep the margin to single figures.

JoG2

I don't think I am. You're making a big deal of some Fermanagh players smiling coming off the pitch. Sunday was the equivalent of Northwich Victoria playing Chelsea @ Standford Bridge and making a game of it. Not lying down to them and giving it everything. That's all that could have been asked of Fermanagh. They had been busting themselves since collectively meeting in October. The gulf in resources between the 2 counties is off the scale. Getting to a q/f and running Dublin to 8 points in today's Sky sponsored football championship is worth smiling about. Your beef should be with the GAA, not the Ernemen smiling imo AZ

JoG2

Quote from: lfdown2 on August 04, 2015, 09:57:12 AM

The same thing struck me - I would say the Fermanagh team can be proud of how they performed this year but to me it was not a result to celebrate, to smile and laugh about - I would hope it gives them an impetus to attempt to push on next year to bridge the gap somewhat. Good article from McGuinness, it's worrying that teams are happy to keep the margin to single figures.

The Fermanagh camp have said an Anglo Celt is their aim next year. They wouldn't have said so last year. They are on the push and can take great pleasure in that. McGuinness, I haven't read the article. His Donegal team spent nearly as much as Dublin in their rise  and winning their AI, millions of euro. If Fermanagh had access to the type of money Donegal were receiving maybe they would have picked up an Ulster in the last few years